Welcome to the APBWeb.
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: The Calling

  1. #1
    phoenixrose's Avatar
    phoenixrose is offline Firebrand
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    12-02-06
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    31416

    The Calling

    As non-LEO, it's hard for me to step inside and understand what I see as--A Calling--from your perspective. Yet, with this poem, that is what I've tried to capture. Actually, it's a piece written for my current novel. In the story, the poem will be the work of a woman that is ex-LEO.

    Just wondered if I came anywhere close to getting it right.


    The Calling

    You don’t ever see me cry,
    I’m the steadfast one, never yielding to the fears.
    I keep my emotions behind a mask—along with my tears.

    You don’t hear the silent tirades,
    Or know the unrelieved grief buried within.
    For the cruelty, I can’t change—the impossible battles I can’t win.

    You won’t question what you see,
    Accepting the comfort of an impassive façade,
    That keeps weaknesses trapped within—safe, behind a stoic guard.

    You never look beyond the badge,
    And realize, I'm every bit as vulnerable as you.
    All you really want—is the helping hand that pulls you through.

    You don’t dare acknowledge,
    That I might not always be perfect, strong, and brave.
    You don’t want to see the tears I weep—for the victims I can’t save.

    You refuse to even imagine,
    What it might cost me, when I stand and fight,
    Knowing the measure of a good day—is going home to my family at night.

    “Why, then,” you ask, “do you choose,
    To walk a path that is forever lonely, and one apart,
    Weighing every breath you draw—against the beating of your heart?”

    How do I explain the passion,
    That drives me back, day after trying day?
    It colors not in black and white—but in endless shades of gray.

    Who then, can fathom The Calling,
    The destiny, and duty that make one whole?
    Only the brothers and sisters—and those that share my soul.
    .
    Last edited by phoenixrose; 12-12-06 at 11:08 PM.
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "WHAT canary?"

  2. #2
    gozling's Avatar
    gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Join Date
    06-28-06
    Location
    O'ahu Hawaii
    Posts
    4,278
    Rep Power
    610543
    I adored this
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

    We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

    An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

    His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

  3. #3
    phoenixrose's Avatar
    phoenixrose is offline Firebrand
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    12-02-06
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    31416
    Thanks, Gozling.
    Well, I liked it...but I'm not LEO.
    I guess I need to know if I've come anywhere close to capturing what you feel sometimes. Good or bad...just looking for some feedback. When non-LEO people read it, I want the emotions to come through...I want them to stop and THINK.
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "WHAT canary?"

  4. #4
    Piggybank Cop's Avatar
    Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Join Date
    05-17-06
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,207
    Rep Power
    645058
    The short version:

    Why is it that I as a cop am always running toward what everyone else is always running away from.


    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

    And no you can't have any.

  5. #5
    phoenixrose's Avatar
    phoenixrose is offline Firebrand
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    12-02-06
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    31416
    LOL

    Shorter version....thanks.
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "WHAT canary?"

  6. #6
    HardNoseBull's Avatar
    HardNoseBull is offline HardNoseBull
    Join Date
    09-30-06
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    345
    Rep Power
    104051
    "The Creation of Peace Officers"
    When the Lord was creating peace officers, he was into his sixth day of
    overtime when an angel appeared and said,
    "You're doing a lot of fiddling around on this one."

    And the Lord said, "Have you read the spec on this order? A peace officer has
    to be able to run five miles through alleys in the dark, scale walls, enter
    homes the health inspector wouldn't touch, and not wrinkle his uniform.

    "He has to be able to sit in an undercover car all day on a stakeout, cover a
    homicide scene that night, canvass the neighborhood for witnesses,
    and testify in court the next day.

    "He has to be in top physical condition at all times, running on black coffee
    and half-eaten meals. And he has to have six pairs of hands."

    The angel shook her head slowly and said, "Six pairs of hands... no way."

    "It's not the hands that are causing me problems," said the Lord, "it's the
    three pairs of eyes an officer has to have."

    "That's on the standard model?" asked the angel.

    The Lord nodded. One pair that sees through a bulge in a pocket before he asks,
    "May I see what's in there, sir?" (When he already knows and wishes he'd taken
    that accounting job.) "Another pair here in the side of his head for his
    partners' safety. And another pair of eyes here in front that can look
    reassuringly at a bleeding victim and say, 'You'll be all right when he knows it isn't so."

    "Lord," said the angel, touching his sleeve, "rest and work on this tomorrow."

    "I can't," said the Lord, "I already have a model that can talk a 250 pound
    drunk into a patrol car without incident and feed a family of five on a civil service paycheck."

    The angel circled the model of the peace officer very slowly, "Can it think?" she asked.

    "You bet," said the Lord. "It can tell you the elements of a hundred crimes;
    recite Miranda warnings in its sleep; detain, investigate, search, and arrest
    a gang member on the street in less time than it takes five learned judges to
    debate the legality of the stop... and still it keeps its sense of humor.

    This officer also has phenomenal personal control. He can deal with crime
    scenes painted in hell, coax a confession from a child abuser, comfort a murder
    victim's family, and then read in the daily paper how law enforcement isn't
    sensitive to the rights of criminal suspects."

    Finally, the angel bent over and ran her finger across the cheek of the peace
    officer. "There's a leak," she pronounced. "I told you that you were trying to
    put too much into this model."

    "That's not a leak," said the lord, "it's a tear."

    "What's the tear for?" asked the angel.

    "It's for bottled-up emotions, for fallen comrades, for commitment to that
    funny piece of cloth called the flag, for justice."

    "You're a genius," said the angel.

    The Lord looked somber. "I didn't put it there," he said.

    Anonymous
    Giggity giggity Goo!

    Glen Quagmire,Family Guy, Pick any Episode

  7. #7
    ninjamom's Avatar
    ninjamom is offline Officer First Class
    Join Date
    12-08-06
    Location
    No. Va.
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    2541
    Hey Sis, I loved it. I can't wait until this one gets published!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    06-20-06
    Location
    Bentonville, AR
    Posts
    235
    Rep Power
    11079
    I think you got really close with this and it is a fine piece of work.

    Im gonna make my wife read it when she gets home.

  9. #9
    phoenixrose's Avatar
    phoenixrose is offline Firebrand
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    12-02-06
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    31416
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjamom View Post
    Hey Sis, I loved it. I can't wait until this one gets published!
    Hey SIS! Good to see you here.
    Thanks.
    Yeah, this novel is harder for some strange reason...maybe because it's closer to my heart. It's taking more from me...I just hope I can do this right...that it give more, because of that.


    Miss ya..my email's still working...just in case you were wondering.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lawdog32 View Post
    I think you got really close with this and it is a fine piece of work.

    Im gonna make my wife read it when she gets home.
    Thank you, Lawdog.
    Sometimes you write something, and it just FEELS right.
    This one FELT right, but then again, I'm not the one that needs to measure its worth.
    Your words mean a lot. Thanks.
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "WHAT canary?"

  10. #10
    cajuncutie's Avatar
    cajuncutie is offline cute cookie
    Join Date
    06-04-06
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    8709
    Quote Originally Posted by HardNoseBull View Post
    "The Creation of Peace Officers"
    When the Lord was creating peace officers, he was into his sixth day of
    overtime when an angel appeared and said,
    "You're doing a lot of fiddling around on this one."

    And the Lord said, "Have you read the spec on this order? A peace officer has
    to be able to run five miles through alleys in the dark, scale walls, enter
    homes the health inspector wouldn't touch, and not wrinkle his uniform.

    "He has to be able to sit in an undercover car all day on a stakeout, cover a
    homicide scene that night, canvass the neighborhood for witnesses,
    and testify in court the next day.

    "He has to be in top physical condition at all times, running on black coffee
    and half-eaten meals. And he has to have six pairs of hands."

    The angel shook her head slowly and said, "Six pairs of hands... no way."

    "It's not the hands that are causing me problems," said the Lord, "it's the
    three pairs of eyes an officer has to have."

    "That's on the standard model?" asked the angel.

    The Lord nodded. One pair that sees through a bulge in a pocket before he asks,
    "May I see what's in there, sir?" (When he already knows and wishes he'd taken
    that accounting job.) "Another pair here in the side of his head for his
    partners' safety. And another pair of eyes here in front that can look
    reassuringly at a bleeding victim and say, 'You'll be all right when he knows it isn't so."

    "Lord," said the angel, touching his sleeve, "rest and work on this tomorrow."

    "I can't," said the Lord, "I already have a model that can talk a 250 pound
    drunk into a patrol car without incident and feed a family of five on a civil service paycheck."

    The angel circled the model of the peace officer very slowly, "Can it think?" she asked.

    "You bet," said the Lord. "It can tell you the elements of a hundred crimes;
    recite Miranda warnings in its sleep; detain, investigate, search, and arrest
    a gang member on the street in less time than it takes five learned judges to
    debate the legality of the stop... and still it keeps its sense of humor.

    This officer also has phenomenal personal control. He can deal with crime
    scenes painted in hell, coax a confession from a child abuser, comfort a murder
    victim's family, and then read in the daily paper how law enforcement isn't
    sensitive to the rights of criminal suspects."

    Finally, the angel bent over and ran her finger across the cheek of the peace
    officer. "There's a leak," she pronounced. "I told you that you were trying to
    put too much into this model."

    "That's not a leak," said the lord, "it's a tear."

    "What's the tear for?" asked the angel.

    "It's for bottled-up emotions, for fallen comrades, for commitment to that
    funny piece of cloth called the flag, for justice."

    "You're a genius," said the angel.

    The Lord looked somber. "I didn't put it there," he said.

    Anonymous
    Thank you for sharing this with us

  11. #11
    phoenixrose's Avatar
    phoenixrose is offline Firebrand
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    12-02-06
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    31416
    I liked it, too, HNB.

    You know, it might be fun to have a thread dedicated to PRO-LEO poems, short stories, etc. You see PLENTY of the negative stuff. It's really nice to see something like this once in awhile.

    Then again, maybe you've already been there and done that on this site...and I just missed it.

    Anyway...great post.
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "WHAT canary?"

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Attention - Calling all LEF Wiccans
    By Cst.SB in forum Shenanigans
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-21-07, 06:01 PM
  2. Calling for a Ban of Stationwagons!!
    By TXPO710 in forum General Topics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-04-07, 10:41 PM
  3. Calling Officer Rowdy Yates...
    By BEB in forum In the News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-22-07, 10:38 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •