Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

The Perfect Marble

Babs Miller was bagging some early potatoes for me. I noticed a small boy, delicate of bone and feature, ragged but clean, hungrily apprising a basket of freshly picked green peas.

I paid for my potatoes but was also drawn to the display of fresh green peas. I am a pushover for creamed peas and new potatoes. Pondering the peas, I couldn't help overhearing the conversation between Mr.Miller and the ragged >boy next to me.

"Hello Barry, how are you today?"

"H'lo, Mr. Miller. Fine, thank ya. Jus' admirin' them peas. Sure look good."

"They are good, Barry. How's your Ma?"

"Fine. Gittin' stronger alla' time."

"Good Anything I can help you with?"

"No, Sir. Jus' admirin' them peas."

"Would you like to take some home?"

"No, Sir. Got nuthin' to pay for 'em with."

"Well, what have you to trade me for some of those peas?"

"All I got's my prize marble here."

"Is that right? Let me see it."

"Here 'tis. She's a dandy."

"I can see that. Hmmmmm, only thing is this one is blue and I sort of go for red. Do you have a red one like this at home?"

"Not zackley. But almost."

"Tell you what. Take this sack of peas home with you and next trip this way let me look at that red marble."

"Sure will Thanks Mr. Miller."

Mrs. Miller, who had been standing nearby, came over to help me. With a smile she said, "There are two other boys like him in our community, all three are in very poor circumstances. Jim just loves to bargain with them for peas, apples, tomatoes, or whatever.

When they come back with their red marbles, and they always do, he decides he doesn't like red after all and he sends them home with a bag of produce for a green marble or an orange one, perhaps."

I left the stand smiling to myself, impressed with this man. A short time later I moved to Colorado, but I never forgot the story of this man, the boys, and their bartering.

Several years went by, each more rapid than the previous one. Just recently I had occasion to visit some old friends in that Idaho community and while I was there learned that Mr. Miller had died. They were having his viewing that evening and knowing my friends wanted to go, I agreed to accompany them. Upon arrival at the mortuary we fell into line to meet the relatives of the deceased and to offer whatever words of comfort we could.

Ahead of us in line were three young men. One was in an army uniform and the other two wore nice haircuts, dark suits and white shirts...all very professional looking.

They approached Mrs. Miller, standing composed and smiling by her husband's casket. Each of the young men hugged her, kissed her on the cheek, spoke briefly with her and moved on to the casket.

Her misty light blue eyes followed them as, one by one, each young man stopped briefly and placed his own warm hand over the cold pale hand in the casket. Each left the mortuary awkwardly, wiping his eyes.

Our turn came to meet Mrs. Miller. I told her who I was and mentioned the story she had told me about the marbles With her eyes glistening, she took my hand and led me to the casket.

"Those three young men who just left were the boys I told you about. They just told me how they appreciated the things Jim "traded" them. Now,at last,when Jim could not change his mind about color or size....they came to pay their debt."

"We've never had a great deal of the wealth of this world," she confided, "but right now, Jim would consider himself the richest man in Idaho"

With loving gentleness she lifted the lifeless fingers of her deceased husband. Resting underneath were three exquisitely shined red marbles.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    You gotta stop this every time you guys put something like this up the monitor gets all foggy and hard to read.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgkelly View Post
    You gotta stop this every time you guys put something like this up the monitor gets all foggy and hard to read.

I knew you were a softie, Sarge.
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    I like this post.

While my monitor wasn't foggy, there was a bit of mist in the air.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I loved this story. My cousin sent it to me via e-mail, so I do not know the author.

In my own family, we had "Old Burt." He showed up at my great-great-grandparents farm one day offering a day's work for a meal and a bed for the night. He stayed on as the farm hand until they retired, then went to work on my great-grandparents farm.

One day he told my grandma and her sisters about his life. He had run away from home when he was 13, on the night he watched his father throw his little sister down the stairs where she died. He'd been riding the rails, working for his meals when he got to her grand-parents farm and found a new home.

When my great-grandparents retired, they found him a spot at the County Farm (self-supporting retirement home for poor farmers) he met a widow there, and got married.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    PDawg, thanks for the story. Its amazing how a little bit of kindness can change a persons view about themselves or about life.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by CT209 View Post
    I like this post.

While my monitor wasn't foggy, there was a bit of mist in the air.
    My room got kind of foggy, must've left the window open or something.

*sniffle*
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information