Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.

Wink The Rabbis had it right all along.

NIH backs circumcision in AIDS fight
    Procedure an effective way to stop HIV, says National Institutes of Health
    By Robert Bazell
    Chief science and health correspondent
    NBC News
    Updated: 12:56 p.m. ET Dec 13, 2006
    Circumcising adult men is an effective way to limit transmission of the virus that causes AIDS. The National Institutes of Health announced today that two clinical trials in Africa have been stopped because an independent monitoring board determined the treatment was so effective that it would be unethical to continue the experiment.

"We now have confirmation — from large, carefully controlled, randomized clinical trials —showing definitively that medically performed circumcision can significantly lower the risk of adult males contracting HIV through heterosexual intercourse," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease. "While the initial benefit will be fewer HIV infections in men, ultimately adult male circumcision could lead to fewer infections in women in those areas of the world where HIV is spread primarily through heterosexual intercourse."

The NIH has been sponsoring two trials — one with 5,000 men, ages 15 to 49, in Uganda and a second with 2,784 men, 18-24, in Kenya. Half the men voluntarily underwent circumcision. The men were then monitored for about two years. Far more of the uncircumcised men became infected with HIV.

The studies found that the circumcised men in the Kenyan study were 48 percent less likely to get infected and 53 percent less likely in the Ugandan study.

This finding appears to apply only to heterosexual transmission which is the main mode of spread in Africa. Officials estimate that at least 25 million people in Africa are currently infected with the AIDS virus.

These findings present enormous ethical and policy decisions which have yet to be addressed. But scientists say the reduction of infection is so substantial that the findings cannot be ignored.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    Never been a better time to be snipped.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Ha!

I was once interviewed for an article in Child magazine about this very subject! I had my son circumcised for both religious and health reasons.

I couldn't help but notice that they abridged/altered my quotes and picked a very unflattering photo for us, while the family that chose not to circumcise were shown in a much more flattering setting.

Of course, the article was about how unnecessary and traumatic the procedure was!
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    You want to do WHAT with my THINGY? Momma!
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
    You want to do WHAT with my THINGY? Momma!
    Peel it like a 'nanner!
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Reread and they're talking about adult circumcision. If the guys feel the need to get it done on themselves, fine by me.
    Last edited by BEB; 12-13-06 at 11:18 PM.

Thread Information