Welcome to the APBWeb.
    bmf95b is offline PATROL DEPUTY

What Do Constables Do?

I was just wondering, here in TEXAS Constables and thier Deputies rock and roll. I have heard from people from other states that they have never seen one or they don't do much. I found that weird.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Yea, rumor is that southern and western Deputies are alot more active as a normal patrol service, where in the northeast they pretty much run the jail and courthouse. In FL the Sheriff has total authority over City Depts in emergency situations like hurricanes or other disasters. Is this true as well??

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We don't have constables in MN

At least not to my knowledge.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Yeah, we had a Texas Constable speak in our Citizens Police Academy, and he said that he serves a lot of civil court process papers, and also enforces civil court orders, such as seizure of assets.

The ones who are certified Peace Officers will also write traffic tickets and participate in warrant round-ups.

Most of them are full-fledged Peace Officers, but not necessarily - If I remember right, after they're elected they have a year or two to get their Peace Officer certification (which is called TCLEOSE in Texas).

They make pretty good money (I think ours makes like $80k/year), but since it's an elected office they have no job security.

Some of them also have deputies working for them, kinda like a Sheriff does.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    We have some Constables working at our largest hospitol in the state. They are basically great security guards with arrest powers. There are a couple K9 units there also...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO
    Constables in PA at least in the Pittsburgh area work for the local district magistrates and sometimes 'freelance'
    They do prisoner transports from jail to the office for hearings, they do civil process warrants like 'failure to pay fines' and stuff like that.
    They also IIRC get paid per arrest so its like bounty hunters NOT DOG but I dont believe they go out of state. I also think they have to work the local polls during election times.
    THis is from Wiki...

Pennsylvania
    In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the office of constable is mandated in the state constitution. All constables in Pennsylvania are elected Officers of the Court, as are all state court officers in the state system. Pennsylvania constables, although elected or appointed at the local government level, receive no government funding. Pennsylvania constables have a fee scale prepared by the state for services rendered. Although elected or appointed for a 6-year term, they are not considered employees of the Commonwealth or any government body. They must provide everything for their office at their own expense (including vehicle, all equipment, office rent, liability insurance, etc). Despite the lack of funding, Pennsylvania constables still possess the police power of arrest for any felony or breach of peace on view; similar to a citizens arrest. However, if a person is in a vehicle when they commit an offense, the constable in Pennsylvania cannot make a traffic stop, due to a Supreme Court decision (case law). The issue of pursuit is being pressed for review. New laws covering fees are being prepared as of early 2006. The vast majority of Pennsylvania's Constables only work as poll watchers during elections.
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    In South Carolina, all State Law Enforcement Officers, are Constables. The Highway Patrol and SLED (Stae Law Enforcement Division) are commissioned as Constables. The Troopers and SLED are commissioned by their respective agencys but are commissioned under the same State Statute that the rest of of officers are. All State Agencies that have Law Enforcement Officers are constables. It ain't hard. If you arn't a Deputy Sheriff or a City/Town Police Officer, your are a Constable. As such, Constables have state wide authority to enforce the laws of SC, serve criminal warrants, search warrants, write tickets, etc., etc. There are a few classes of Constables:

Class 1: Full time Law Enforcement Officers
    Class 2: Retired Police Officers from any agency that wants to be one
    Class 3: All others that want the commission, but must work under some LE Agency. Some get paid, some don't.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    In England they wear those funny hats are always polite and help the tourists.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    I don't California even has constables. I've never heard of them anyways.
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

Cheech Guest
    Nothing.

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    They do whatever they need to do here......they can fill in at any department/office/court that asks for them
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

Bosco3379 is offline I'm the one in the middle
    Constable is just a fancy word for Police Officer here, Thats what we call Police Officers here.
    Former member of the LNC

Will take verbal abuse for spare change

Some Of My Wicked Awesome Signature Banners

bmf95b is offline PATROL DEPUTY
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Man View Post
    Yea, rumor is that southern and western Deputies are alot more active as a normal patrol service, where in the northeast they pretty much run the jail and courthouse. In FL the Sheriff has total authority over City Depts in emergency situations like hurricanes or other disasters. Is this true as well??
    Yes that is true, here in Texas. In Texas the sheriff is the conservator of the peace and the primary law enforcement officer, he is above any Chief of Police or Constable.

Jim1348 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    At one time a Constable in Minnesota was an elected position that was a peace officer for a Township. The Constable may or may not have had one or more Deputy Constables. Usually the townships did not have full time police protection, so the county sheriff's office had to respond to incidents when they were not on duty. I don't know of any constables left in Minnesota either. I suspect that there may still be townships in northern Minnesota that have part-time law enforcement coverage, but they may now call them township police. I recall White Bear Township, near White Bear Lake MN, having a Chief Constable, a Constable, and a Deputy Constable during the 1980s. The Chief Constable and Constable were armed and POST licensed, but only the Chief Constable was elected. I think the other two were appointed by him. The Deputy Constable was uniformed, but neither armed not POST licensed. Much like a police reserve or Community Service Officer. Eventually they created a White Bear Township Police Department, thus the position of constable was eliminated. I recall that the Township Police Chief was appointed by the Town Board rather than being elected. Eventually it was disbanded and they now contract with the Ramsey County Sheriff's Office. (Yes, I formerly lived in White Bear Township and worked at WBLPD.) I noticed at the POST Board list http://www.dps.state.mn.us/newpost/pdfs/lea.pdf that Biwabik and Breitung Township are listed, BUT it is not clear if they are Township Police or Township Constables. I found a webpage that shows a listing of some township webpages

http://www.mntownships.org/index.asp?Type=B_LIST&SEC={92C BE906-7CF6-4CC3-9B32-FDF2DEEFD80D}

and here is at least one with a township police department

http://www.cpinternet.com/~canosia/
    Last edited by Jim1348; 12-16-06 at 10:27 AM.

Thread Information