Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Should teachers & other school staff be allowed to carry concealed weapons in school?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

22 40.00%
  • No.

33 60.00%
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO

Should teachers & other school staff be allowed to carry concealed weapons in school?

Please give your opinion, include why or why not.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 12-18-06 at 04:57 PM. Reason: F the video, it didn't work for most.

"Stupid should hurt."

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Having a gun in the hands of a teacher that isn't paid/hired to be an armed guard is just not a good idea. If students know the teacher is armed, that increases the chance of a gun getting in the hands of a student that may assault and disarm the teacher. If we have SROs and private security in schools, I think that's a much better option.

K9ForLife is offline Banned
    No video came up for me so I can't comment on the video itself. Regarding your question though I would vote no in general. I could see some staff/teachers carrying firearms but not all. They are no different than the general population and some people should in no way shape or form be allowed to carry a gun. I believe every law abiding citizen has a right to own a firearm but there are some who should not own or carry one.

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    I would say yes, provided that it is limited to those who know how to carry/use/retain the weapons, so when the shit hits the fan, they wont just make it worse.

I would agree that SRO's and such would be the best primary line of defense. A teacher going for a gun should be plan B...
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    No video played for me either, so I'll answer NO anyway. Incidents that occur in schools, colleges etc need to be dealt with by trained professionals.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

carolina is offline Master Officer
    Video didn't work for me either, but I'd say no as well. I think if something major were to break out it would only put everyone at more risk for a teacher to break out a gun unless they had military or LE training.

To me the student with the gun, has mental issues or is a gang member or maybe both, and I think they would see a teacher with a gun as a challenge to either harm them or more people in the process. I agree it should be left to trained professionals.

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Based on the teachers/counselors I've encountered while working in the schools, I'd say no.

Most of our High Schools have SRO's, and they played a significant role in saving lives during two school shootings here.

I think a major issue for our area, is that most of the aide positions have been eliminated, or hours reduced. That means a significantly reduced the number of adults on campus. That means less supervision before, during and after school.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Now is the time to introduce my new program:

Tasers for Teachers.

ps: the video didn't work
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

phoenixrose is offline Firebrand
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    As a teacher, I maybe see this from a different perspective, and I've argued this point extensively on another forum. I, myself, would have no problem carrying concealed were it allowed. I do not, however, feel that staff in a school setting should carry concealed weapons.

IMHO, for carrying concealed to be viable in a school setting, it would have to be carried on the teacher somewhere. We're all over the building, for various and sundry different reasons. If you're on a playground, in a meeting, at the office, in an IEP meeting, in the bathroom, pulling morning, lunch, or after school duty, running copies, or whatever....and you need the weapon...you can't race back across a school building to retrieve it. If it is going to be useful...it would have to be carried on your person.

I can't see teachers, given the wardrobe issues and the up-close-and-personal interactions they have with kids, choosing to carry on their person...so, the other option would be to leave it in a purse or desk drawer. THAT, escalates the possibility of a gun being found and/or stolen...and if you really DO need it....can you get to it?

In a given day, your time and attention is pulled in so many different directions, by so many different people/kids, that keeping an eye on your purse or the desk drawer where the weapon is being kept...just is not going to happen. There may be good intentions, but it isn't going to happen.

That said, the setting is too unpredictable. Depending on the age level, teachers could be on hands and knees, surrounded by kids, children on their laps, shoulder-to-shoulder in crowded hallways...whatever. We can't keep kids at a safe distance. Because of that, I don't believe we can guarantee that we can protect a weapon that IS on our person.

Also, there's the issue of training...and at whose expense. One CCW class is not going to cut it. Also, the class should be geared for a school setting. For a teacher to carry a weapon in a school setting, I believe training should be extensive, site specific, and on-going. Very few teachers have the time or money to commit to that degree.

Then, there's the issue of liability. Who carries it...for what...and, what if there IS a shooting?

Another factor to consider is the general personality/mentality of those drawn to the educational profession. You will see a larger number of non-violent, liberal, turn-the-other-cheek, give them a second chance, type personalities. These are, for the most part, not the kind of people that would point a gun and pull the trigger.

In my personal opinion, if you're going to carry a gun, you had better be prepared to USE it, if you HAVE to. If you point it, you had better be capable of squeezing the trigger. If you hesitate...if you vascillate...you could well do more damage than good. Especially if that moment's hesitation allowed a would-be shooter to take you out...or disarm you.

Personally? I would not hesitate pulling the trigger if I had to...BUT...I am not the typical teacher-type personality or mindset. As far as educators go, I'd be considered an anomally. It doesn't make educators wrong or weak or cowards. Many sacrifice a lot of themselves everyday for the kids in their care. Many would step between a shooter and the kids they are responsible for, but they just--IMHO--are NOT candidates for carrying a weapon.

I understand the arguements for carrying in school. I understand that the proponents say that only teachers that are qualified...and want to...should carry. I can see the reasoning behind that, and given the opportunity, I might well choose to do just that. However, it does not change what I know in my gut...given my experience as an educator. Teachers should NOT carry on school grounds, concealed or otherwise.
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"WHAT canary?"

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    Based on the teachers/counselors I've encountered while working in the schools, I'd say no.

I agree and as I have stated before here is why. Most of the teachers in my county are "new" under 5 years teaching. And the make up of these teachers are horrible. You have teachers in the 22 yoa range who lived at home during highschool, went to college, and moved back home until they got hired. So now you have some 22 yo with no real life exp. telling a 18 yo what to do.
    Now some of these teachers are great but most have no management skills when it comes to kids. I have kids sent to me all the time with a discipline note from the teacher that says "Did not do homework" and the teachers think I and the admin are assholes because we tell them that its not our problem.
    It takes so little to piss these teachers off because they have never been in the real world. I actually think school shootings would go up because the teachers would be shooting the kids.
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Some very good discussion so far.

Here is my take on it. As a rule teachers should not be able to carry in school. I just don't see a teaching certificate qualifying someone to watch over our children with firearms. We have professionals who are trained to do so and it should be left to them.

Here are my two exceptions (both would be subject to qualifying regularly):
    - Retired or medically disabled LEO who has become a school teacher.
    - Teacher who actively works as a reserve officer for a local, county, etc. PD and has permission (& proper training) from PD.

Moreover, schools should have panic buttons (like banks) throughout the facilities that would notify the local PD. Teachers and school staff should be better prepared to lead the kids to safety in an emergency. I also believe there should be LEOs / reserves posted at all schools during class hours, and all schools should be required to be alarmed or guarded after hours. It is an expensive move, but well worth the cost if you ask me.

PS - 1sgkelly , I like the taser program. They should have to take the ride for sure.

"Stupid should hurt."

Growler is offline I is not happy
    Verified LEO
    Nah. Not in school. Like Ginny said, if students are aware of it, it may/can/will present a problem. Also, the schools here (and the ones I have been to out of state) do have a pretty usual police presence as well as school guards.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Definitely yes, provided that they're evaluated and given training, and the ones who can't pass the training & evaluations do not get to carry.

I've had plenty of teachers (especially coaches) and principals who were ex-Military. I know they could do what needs to be done without batting an eye.

To remove the political objections, I would suggest running them thru Police Academy, and making them Reserves. That should satisfy most people.

SRO's are good, but when I was young my momma told me not to put all my eggs in one basket, and hide the baskets, don't make them stand out - If the highly-visible (ie, easily-targeted) SRO gets herself shot first thing, then the school is defenseless.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 12-18-06 at 06:49 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Warrior View Post
    Moreover, schools should have panic buttons (like banks) throughout the facilities that would notify the local PD.
    I've also suggested to our local officials that our schools should have more decorative concrete barriers inside, to provide better shelter than under a lunchroom table in large areas such as cafeterias and long hallways - Making it harder for a gunman to stand in one place and kill everyone.

One of our local high schools has an ingenious solution for that (although the designers probably didn't have active shooters in mind): The hallways are curved. A gunman cannot gain full view of the hallway beyond 30 or 40 feet (I'm guessing).

These barriers do not have to be obtrusive or ugly, and their purpose does not necessarily have to be made known... People will naturally hide behind barriers unless they're fighting, then maybe not.

The only problem with that is that if large groups of students hide behind barriers, then that means that if the gunman breaches or goes around the barrier, he'll have a lot of people who may not can get out of the way fast enough.

"Safe Rooms" are another possibility - They only have to be like big closets, scattered all over the school, with bulletproof doors and walls. This can be relatively lo-tech, with concrete-core walls and doors with AR500 armor plate cores and a small bullet resistant window or something, to withstand AK-47 / SKS fire - But students must be trained to not be tricked into opening the door for the gunman - Or again he'll have a lot of concentrated unarmed victims who can't get out of the way.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 12-18-06 at 06:53 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Tennsix is offline Officer First Class
    I worked in an elementary school for a few years. I agree with all that say no. For the most part, teachers are of a completely different mindset. You can train them all you want but they lack the experience and bearing required to engage a suspect in a deadly force encounter. I can easily see a teacher surrendering his/her weapon to a bad guy.
    "We're the Bundys, we don't call the police. People call the police on us".
    -Peg Bundy

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    If the highly-visible (ie, easily-targeted) SRO gets herself shot first thing, then the school is defenseless.
    Gee thanks...........now im an wasy target
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

I don't buy that. Most schools have more than one officer. And a trained officer is not likely to go down that easily. Furthermore, most schools have a some sort of security plan.
    -Peg Bundy

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennsix View Post
    I worked in an elementary school for a few years. I agree with all that say no. For the most part, teachers are of a completely different mindset. You can train them all you want but they lack the experience and bearing required to engage a suspect in a deadly force encounter. I can easily see a teacher surrendering his/her weapon to a bad guy.

Not all of us are sheep.

But, you are right. Many would, believing that by doing so, they could save lives, or the gunman(men) might be reasoned with.
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"WHAT canary?"

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixrose View Post
    Not all of us are sheep.

But, you are right. Many would, believing that by doing so, they could save lives, or the gunman(men) might be reasoned with.
    No dispresect intended but you understand what I mean. When I worked in plain clothes (at the school) most visitors thought I was a regular staff or faculty member. I was armed but most of the teachers assumed I was not because they did not see the gun. One teacher “reported” me when she discovered I was wearing a gun. Many of the teachers did not see the need for an armed police officer but they were ok with an unarmed security officer. They would make comments like, “You don’t need a gun when working with kids” or “Carrying a gun in a school is dangerous”.
    -Peg Bundy

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennsix View Post
    No dispresect intended but you understand what I mean. When I worked in plain clothes (at the school) most visitors thought I was a regular staff or faculty member. I was armed but most of the teachers assumed I was not because they did not see the gun. One teacher “reported” me when she discovered I was wearing a gun. Many of the teachers did not see the need for an armed police officer but they were ok with an unarmed security officer. They would make comments like, “You don’t need a gun when working with kids” or “Carrying a gun in a school is dangerous”.
    I've taught in public schools for 15 years.
    I totally understand where you're coming from. It doesn't make them wrong or bad...it is just the mindset of most educators. They are peacemakers. They see the world differently than people who choose to go into LE.

I see this, because I am not the typical teacher, in terms of my beliefs and disposition. I see both sides of the coin. There are certainly teachers who COULD and WOULD carry...and do a good job of it. But, the majority would react exactly the way you just posted...shocked and appalled.
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"WHAT canary?"

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information