Welcome to the APBWeb.
    phoenixrose is offline Firebrand
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Carrying a Concealed Weapon

Okay...as a female...if I don't want to carry in a purse, what are the options?

I've heard shoulder holsters aren't always practical.

I've heard that most hip holsters are not comfortable for women because of the curves.

I've heard there are specially made holsters that accommodate a woman's rounder body.

I want to know what most women...preferably LE trained women...would chose, and why.

What are the options, and the pros, and cons?
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"WHAT canary?"

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixrose View Post
    Okay...as a female...if I don't want to carry in a purse, what are the options?

I've heard shoulder holsters aren't always practical.

I've heard that most hip holsters are not comfortable for women because of the curves.

I've heard there are specially made holsters that accommodate a woman's rounder body.

I want to know what most women...preferably LE trained women...would chose, and why.

What are the options, and the pros, and cons?

Definitely a lack of options!! When I don't carry in my pocketbook/purse, I have used a pancake holster that fits inside the waistband. Unfortunately, when I'm carrying my .45 that way, it bruises the hell out of me. The .380 isn't so bad since it's much smaller. They make thigh holsters but since I'm not a stick-person, those are soooo impractical! I have yet to find an off-duty holster that will accommodate my curves. They just don't make the "Vanilla Sista" model!!
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Another option to look at is a product called "Thunderwear". Just Google it. I don't think a firearm should be kept in a purse anyway- purses can get snatched or just stolen. The weapon, IMO, should be on you at all times anyway.

If you're wearing pants you can also look at getting an ankle holster. If you're going for concealment, getting anything other than a compact weapon isn't wise anyway.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Mrs Norm carries off duty using a Galco Miami Classic.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

JohnnyRotten is offline Rentacop trainer
    Another option is the Pager Pal holster. great if you're wearing shorts or pants. I imagine it'd be ok in a skirt as long as it isn't too short ot tight.
    "My motivation is slipping, people bug me, and I'm tired of wasting my time on drivel."

- Rep. Otis Pike (D - NY)

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Women Close Protection Officers I trained always used a normal pancake holster, worn just behind the hip, on the strong side. Shoulder holsters were discouraged, because they make it difficult to get the weapon on target from the 'overswing' that occurs and if the suspect is close it is too easy to block the weapon completely. An option used, if the situation didn't allow the dress code to be a jacket, was what we call a Bum Bag (I think you call them a Fanny Pack). They are available as a custom job with a holster built in, held closed by velcro and allow very fast access to the weapon.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

phoenixrose is offline Firebrand
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Thanks.

Interesting responses. I like the pancake, just behind the hip on the strong side. That is what I have in mind...I was hoping it would be workable.

Are most holsters designed to slide INSIDE the waistband, rather than have the gun worn on the outside and need a jacket or shirt to conceal?
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"WHAT canary?"

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Thread Information