Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Retmilleo909 is offline Banned

Will Mount Hood climbers be found alive?

Do you think either or both of the 2 Mount Hood climbers will be found alive? IMO, it's very unlikely. They picked the wrong time of year to climb a 12000 foot mountain which would have been a challenging feat during the summer months.
    It's a sad ordeal the family and friends of the climbers are going through and my prayers and sympathy go out to them.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/shar..._Climbers.html

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I seriously doubt it. They've been missing for too long now.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    I too, do not think so

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    I'm no mountain climber but I think the odds are pretty dim at this point.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I'm troubled by their last direction of travel, as it appears to be back towards the summit.

A second grim reminder that nature takes no prisoners.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    Iíve lived in the shadow of that mountain my entire life. There is never any time of year that climbing it wouldnít be dangerous experienced or not.
    A few years back in late May a National Guard helicopter crashed while rescuing climbers off the glacier.
    Back in the mid 80ís a high school group was trapped when the weather closed in on them during the summer. Some were killed. What I never understood is why climbing permits arenít required along with emergency locater transmitters which are available to rent for 5 bucks. It would save lives as well as millions of dollars spent trying to rescue these people.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I guess I have a real hard time with people who have a "hobby" that not only puts their lives in danger, but also the lives of other people that have to try to save them. If you know that you can die, it's on you to be safe. I've gone skydiving, and if my 'chute doesn't open, I'm responsible because I'm the one that chose to risk my life.

My prayers are with the families and the despair they'll suffer over this whole thing. I'd be very surprised if either climber is found, alive or dead.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

HardNoseBull is offline HardNoseBull
    I would love to see a christmas miracle, but I think those climbers are probably deceased allready. My thoughts go out to the families.
    Giggity giggity Goo!

Glen Quagmire,Family Guy, Pick any Episode

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    I don't think so, especially since the weather has been good for two days now (if they're physically able). I don't feel good about it. My thoughts and prayers are with the climbers, their friends and family and everyone involved with the search.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I think they're stupid and selfish for going up there in the first place - They have risked many rescuers' lives and are costing taxpayers millions for the thrill of climbing a mountain.

I vote for leaving them up there and calling off the rescuers, whether they're alive or not. Maybe the next thrillseekers will wait for a better time of year, or go get their thrills some other way.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 12-19-06 at 05:05 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie X View Post
    Iíve lived in the shadow of that mountain my entire life. There is never any time of year that climbing it wouldnít be dangerous experienced or not.
    A few years back in late May a National Guard helicopter crashed while rescuing climbers off the glacier.
    Back in the mid 80ís a high school group was trapped when the weather closed in on them during the summer. Some were killed. What I never understood is why climbing permits arenít required along with emergency locater transmitters which are available to rent for 5 bucks. It would save lives as well as millions of dollars spent trying to rescue these people.
    5 Bucks!!??!!! You have got to be kidding.You are damn right,they should be required.And if someone calls and says so-and so is overdue on the mountain,the authorities should say,"sorry,I dont see their permit ,nor are we getting a signal ,so they dont exist!!!.I feel for the families ,but agree with the other posters.You have a dangerous hobby -tough noogies.

MARK LARABEE The Oregonian
    It's been almost 31 years since Randy Knapp and two high school friends emerged from their 13th night in a wet, cold snow cave on Mount Hood, where they held onto hope through prayers and struggled to survive while a snowstorm raged outside.
    As the years passed, Knapp, 48, a finish carpenter and part-time pastor who lives in Medford, refused requests for interviews. But Thursday, as headlines detailed the unfolding drama of another Mount Hood climbing party in trouble, the father of two said he wanted to give the climbers' families some hope.

>>CNN.Com reported that about 10,000 people a year start for the summit, and on average 20 to 25 have to be rescued.<<

This is ridiculous...Every person that attempts to climb Mount Hood should have at least a $100.00 permit and be a qualified climber before they're allowed to climb one foot above the timberline.
    I wonder how many rescuers have lost their lives trying to save stupid climbers who don't know the risks involved!?

Personally I would get acrophobia standing on the lip of a 1-2 thousand foot precipice in a 40-50 MPH wind with no place to go, but straight down.

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    Heres the crash from about four and a half years ago when they were rescuing some climbers off of Mt. Hood. This was on May 30th I think. I remember that it was around my birthday.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhfJDq_I1HA

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

Heres the crash from about four and a half years ago when they were rescuing some climbers off of Mt. Hood. This was on May 30th I think. I remember that it was around my birthday.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhfJDq_I1HA

I watched a documentary about that on the Discovery channel. It reminded me of the Mt Everest debacle.

Into Thin Air is a great book detailing the chain of events that led to that disaster.

I'll go one step further on the permit...they should have to post a rescue bond.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    This story has been all over the local talk shows. Everybody has an idea for some stupid new government regulation. So far nobody (including in this thread) has identified what purpose new regulation would serve, they only want to see something done so they feel better about the world.

If we're going to impose new regulations, we might as well ban climbing all together. But why stop there? Venturing into any kind of wilderness can be dangersome. Let's forbid people from leaving their own city limits. Maybe even require people to stay in their own houses at all times, after all, it's for safety's sake.

From what I've heard, Mountain Locator Units don't work all that well. They also don't make the SAR effort any safer. The best they can do is make the search end faster. I would certainly wear one if I went up there, but I also wear my seatbelt when I'm driving. I see no need for government to require either.

A permit to climb would only put more money into the hands of beaurocrats that already spend like drunken sailors. The fact is, these searches cost taxpayers very little. Most SAR personnel are volunteers. The military personnel are already paid for, and would be using the same resources in training missions if they were not here involved in the real-world mission.

I'm not saying I feel particularly sorry for these guys. They challenged a mountain and lost. Shit happens. I'd imagine they prefered to die on a mountain than anywhere else. I just wish people would quit trying to come up new ways for a more intrusive government to stop all bad things from happening.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

They just said on the news that the search/rescue/recovery efforts have cost in excess of $100k so far.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    That really doesn't sound like much to me. And I be they're including the cost of military personnel and aircraft fuel. As I said, those costs would exist whether it was a real-world mission or a training mission.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I'm not in favor of a ban on climbing... I'm in favor of a ban on rescuing them. Climbing would then be self-limiting.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

>>Let's forbid people from leaving their own city limits. Maybe even require people to stay in their own houses at all times<<

I'm all for it Jack!! If some people are so stupid they get lost when they leave home or the city limits they should be required to hire a guide or keeper, rather than be rescued at taxpayers expense.

I vote for leaving them up there and calling off the rescuers, whether they're alive or not. Maybe the next thrillseekers will wait for a better time of year, or go get their thrills some other way.[/QUOTE]

Aw, we can't do that Charlie...It's not the American way of doing things...Firemen dispatch hook and ladder trucks and do whatever they can to rescue cats in trees. People spend days/weeks and thousands of $$$, to rescue stranded whales, to clean birds covered with oil, Etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information