Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

letter in our local paper today

I thought you law enforcement folks might like to read this letter that was in our local paper today. I'm going to post it on Glocktalk too.

Many thanks to the HPD for replacing a ‘stolen' Christmas

To the editor:

This letter is from Tiffany Small and daughter, Destiny Taylor. On Friday, Dec. 22, 2006, someone entered my apartment and stole all of daughter's Christmas gifts.

I called 911, and a very nice and special policeman came and took my report. I was very upset that anyone would do this to a child at Christmas. The next day, another special policeman came to my door with more gifts for my little girl.

From my heart and from my daughter, we want to say “Thank you very much, HPD.”

Sincerely,

Tiffany Small and Destiny Taylor,

Henderson

dapples is offline Swamp Kitty
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pgrl View Post
    I thought you law enforcement folks might like to read this letter that was in our local paper today. I'm going to post it on Glocktalk too.

Many thanks to the HPD for replacing a ‘stolen' Christmas

To the editor:

This letter is from Tiffany Small and daughter, Destiny Taylor. On Friday, Dec. 22, 2006, someone entered my apartment and stole all of daughter's Christmas gifts.

I called 911, and a very nice and special policeman came and took my report. I was very upset that anyone would do this to a child at Christmas. The next day, another special policeman came to my door with more gifts for my little girl.

From my heart and from my daughter, we want to say “Thank you very much, HPD.”

Sincerely,

Tiffany Small and Destiny Taylor,

Henderson
    Reading articles like this are wonderful.

So many LEOS go the extra mile quietly unnoticed.

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    That was so sweet of them. Officers are just teddy bears in disguise or is that angels in disguise.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    that was very nice
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

carolina is offline Master Officer
    That was an awesome story! I seen it on the local news the mom was in tears of joy thanking the officers, and the kids were so precious on tv. Now thats what Christmas is all about!

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    about time officers get good press.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    There's one letter that won't make it to copwatch.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Julia Guest
    Good job..

There’s a promise I need you to make
    While I’m gone you take care of the love
    And I’ll deal with the hate.

Don’t worry about me; I’ll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    I’ll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by isthatlegal? View Post
    That was so sweet of them. Officers are just teddy bears in disguise or is that angels in disguise.
    The Council Bluffs PD has two such angels. On 9/28/05, sometime between the hours of 12:07a-2:45a, our vehicle was maliciously vandalized. Based on what was heard, including evidence found at the scene, this was no random act of violence - it was personal and through no fault of our own. The person responsible was our next door neighbor (landlord's son) who has no respect for the law.

When we called 911, our call for help was taken seriously and officers were dispatched to our home immediately. While I am almost certain that our call was considered routine in nature, we were never made to feel that way - we were never made to feel unimportant or insignficant. The officers who responded showed compassion and consideration. In fact, what could have been a 15 minute, "We're sorry, CB2, there's not much we can do." call, it turned out to be a 2-hour "We'll do everything we can to help." call.
    Their actions came from the heart and said, "We care about you!" It made all the difference. The officers didn't just do their job that night, they went above and beyond the call of duty - they paid to have my vehicle towed AND the tires replaced.

For many months I lived in fear - I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep, I felt extremely vulnerable; my life had been turned upside down. It was only after we moved to the other side of the city that life started getting back to normal. Although this happened 15 months ago, I still get choked up when thinking about it. The kindness shown my family that dreadful night was something I will never forget. Trust me, it didn't go unnoticed.

On a side note, this incident hasn't change my perception of the police; rather it confimed what I've always known - the police are not our enemy as some would have us believe. I have many hero's - my father and those who serve and protect (LEO's, military, and C/O's). I thank each and everyone of you!

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimebytes2 View Post
    On a side note, this incident hasn't change my perception of the police; rather it confimed what I've always known - the police are not our enemy as some would have us believe. I have many hero's - my father and those who serve and protect (LEO's, military, and C/O's). I thank each and everyone of you!
    Ok that confirms it, they are really angels in disguise. I'm sorry for what happened to you though but it did confirm what you already knew.

I wish other people could see what we already know. People in LE are great. I see examples of that all throughout the year. We really are fortunate that we get to see them for what they are, angels. The other folks are just too cranky to see that. Oh well,their loss.

Hugs to you all.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    CB: I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you I know how it feels to be a victim although mine was different in that nothing was vandalized; but I still couldn't sleep for months and still have trouble at times even though I'm armed now (and I guess is what ultimately led to me joining this forum and others). In my case it was this past late Summer (August). One Saturday I was putting trash in my car to take to the dump and a person was driving very slow down my street in an SUV. The SUV turned around and stopped where I was and the guy in it asked if I knew someone by the name of Beckham (can't remember the first name he asked me). As that is a name of a family who owns a BBQ business in town, I remembered the name. I said I didn't think it sounded like anyone on our street. The guy said ok and drove forward a bit, then stopped, then backed up back again to me and asked me who does my yard (mowing). I said I did. He said ok and left. Well, that was Saturday. Thursday we got hit by a terrible storm that was the remnants of a hurricane from Florida. At 10:45 p.m. that night, in the middle of the pouring rain, after I had gone to bed that same guy came to my door. Long story short: he did leave and I was ok, but it scared the bejezus out of me. I didn't know at first whether to call law enforcement because I wasn't sure ultimately if he was just a guy with an odd sense of timing who thought I wanted a boyfriend (!), or if he really was dangerous. So, after talking to one friend and then emailing an acquintance who is married to a police officer who told me to call the sheriff's dept (they were still up and responded to my email right away!), I finally did call. The 911 operator was actually quite snappy (female) and had an attitude over the fact that I had waited an hour to call. However, the deputy that called me seemed concerned enough. The thing that surprised me was, at the time, he asked if I had a gun (so did the aquaintances I emailed). Then, other law enforcement people did the same when I talked to them, which surprised me further. I thought: if law enforcement thinks I need a gun, I jolly well better get one! So, here I am. I went ahead and got my concealed permit too. I really, really hope I never have to use it; on the other hand, I don't plan on being a sitting duck, either (I won't hesitate to use it if I have to).

Thread Information