Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Cell phones/carriers

I am currently with Sprint, and was with Nextel before them, started out with Verizon. While Sprint has it's downs, I am generally pretty happy with their service. Their web browsing is not crippled like Verizon--from what I remember when I had their service, and from friends that still have them, you could only go to "their" sites. With Sprint, I can go to any site I can on my computer. The reception in Denver and surrounding areas is fantastic, and the only calls I lose are due to whoever I'm talking to having shitty reception. I think that their phone selection has just recently started to come into the realm of being competitive with other providers. I can use my current phone to connect my laptop to the net wherever I go, listen to music, watch TV, etc.

I wanted to see what kind of phone/carrier everyone else uses, if you like the phone, the service, etc. So come on, I know there are other phone/electronics fans here. Tony, I seem to remember you saying you were a big fan of your phone. What does everyone else use?
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Jim1348 is online now Rookie
    Verified LEO
    We are issued Nextels and most of the local public safety community uses it so having the ability to Direct Connect one another is invaluable.

As an aside, since most of the newer Nextels have off-network Direct Talk, that could be a handy feature for tactical simplex communications. .

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I have sprint.

I like their service, and I like their phones.

I lose receptions in big buildings, but overall their better than the other cell carriers in my area.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

bikecop3141 is offline Officer First Class
    Sprint. It's fine for now and I have a phone with a lot of features I don't even use.

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    OH yea, I got a sweet RAZR phone for free too..

EDIT: SORRY TROOPER, I MISTAKENLY EDITED YOUR POST WHEN I WAS WRITING MINE, AND DELETED THE FIRST PART ABOUT YOU GOING TO AMP'D (hahahaha you fucking teenybopper, btw ).--121traffic

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Warning, the techno geek in me is about to come out.

You know, I really like the looks of the RAZR. It would be a major selling point for me. I've never pitched in for any company that carried them though (Verizon, CIngular, etc). I just don't like those companies. In addition, any phone I buy from now on needs expandable memory. With the recent loss of my PDA, I need something I can listen to music on when I work out, etc. The RAZRs till recently were crap for onboard mem.

Sprint just got the RAZR, SLVR, and KRZR in November. I am currently using a Samsung A900. It is an AWESOME phone. It's one downfall, no expandable memory. It has a gorgeous 262,000 color screen...it looks like a mini-computer. Good camera, etc. BUT, when I heard that the RAZR V3m had expandable memory, I finally gave it a shot. The operating system on it was HORRID. Instead of a motorola interface, they used a Sprint-proprietary menu system, and it SUCKED. It was also slow...dunno if it is common among ALL RAZRs, but there was nearly a .75 second delay betwee pushing a button and seeing the result onscreen. This is a problem if you use your phones other features as much as I do. So after a week, I returned the RAZR and told them to reactivate my Samsung. In comparison, the A900 is just a sharp, sharp durable all metal phone, and I think that while the RAZR looks cool, it is super annoying just because everyone on down to dime bag cracked out pimps have em, and it's hard to take anyone serious who's talking on one. My Samsung on the other hand...

Since I need expandable memory though (I have a 2Gb card that holds over 500 songs), I just ordered a new phone from Sprint, the Samsung MM610, the official update to my current phone. I am something of a thin phone freak, and it currently holds the bill as the thinnest clamshell in the US. It does everything my phone does now, even better. It has the ability to stream full length movies, etc., or the gorgeous 2.3 inch 262k color screen. Reviewers agree, the screen (which is the same as my current phone) is THE best among cell phones out there. 2.0 MP camera. AND, they got it right and gave it a memory expansion slot. Some might not like the monochrome outer OLED screen, but it saves battery life for more important stuff, AND I kind of like the oldschool plain jane look. Although you would think the completely flat keypad would be shitty, it's actually very pleasant. It is a flashy phone, but you wouldn't know unless I opened it and told you. Plus, it's just pretty.

Sorry, you've brought out the geek in me. The kid who loves his toys who never grew up.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I have Verizon, I had terrible service with Sprint in my area. I've had no problems in terms of dropped calls or frequent dead areas with Verizon, even when traveling to other parts of the country. I have the pink Razr phone and I'm very happy with it, I haven't used the internet service yet though.

CelticCop is offline The Dark Lord
    Well, I have Cingular. I definitely have no complaints. Verizon wanted $1500 a line (my credit isn't that bad) and I've never liked Sprint. I love my service. I carry a Motorola V-557. Damned good phone for my purposes. I have no real problem with dropped calls unless my friends are having a problem where they are. I have service where others don't and no roaming anywhere in the U.S.
    "Where's your towel Arthur?" -Ford Prefect

"You! On your knees!" -Green Jello

Some take delight in the carriages a rollin'
    and some take delight in the hurley and the bowlin',
    I take delight in the juice of the barley,
    and courtin' pretty fair maids in the morning bright and early...

"You are, without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of..." Cmdre. Norrington "Ah, but you have heard of me." Capt. Jack Sparrow

Warning my statements do not reflect the policies, procedures or views of my agency. As a matter of fact, they think I'm just as nuts as you do, so shove it and blow it out of your fart tube.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    I have T-Mobile. I switched from Verizon because while I was Fort Bliss training for my deployment, T-Mobile was the only company that had service in the area I was staying.

T-Mobile has good coverage where I live and in most cities, but when I take road trips their coverage in rural areas sucks. That's my only complaint.

I never had any real problems with Verizon, and I liked their coverage in rural areas.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I've had Sprint for the past three years. My wife & I share plans, so I can talk to her free.

One thing I have to watch, though, is that a poor reception while it's in my pocket causes the phone to go into roaming when I'm trying to make a call (or worse yet, it would go into Analog Roaming and run my batteries down in short order), so I had to turn my phone off of "Automatic Roaming", and leave it set on Sprint's network, only. That's not a big problem unless you're really far out in the sticks where they have Analog cells only - then it wouldn't work unless I let it roam.

I recently upgraded my phone to a Motorola RAZR, which I like a lot better than my old Samsung 660 phone (much older than the model that 121 pictured above). The service is ok, but sometimes when people call me it goes straight to voice mail, and then my voice mail alerts me - That used to happen a lot on my old Samsung 660 phone, but not so much lately on my new RAZR.

I bought a 512 MB Micro-SD memory card for my RAZR, so it can take God knows how many photos and video clips before it runs out of memory - I think it will accept up to 2GB Micro SD's now.

Sprint's Internet service used to suck on my Samsung (slow as hell and many many connection failures, even outdoors), but the new Power Vision Internet service on my RAZR isn't too bad.

Sprint also has GPS-based mapping and door-to-door directions for $5 extra per month - I'm trying it with mixed results. For one thing, in the car it has trouble locking onto the GPS satellites, since there's no external GPS antenna - So it quite often shows me to be where I was 10 minutes ago, not where I am now, so I haven't got it to work very well.

One other interesting thing is that my old Samsung phone still works on my account - So I have a backup phone.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 12-31-06 at 03:24 AM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by CelticCop View Post
    Well, I have Cingular. I definitely have no complaints. *snip* I love my service. I carry a Motorola V-557. Damned good phone for my purposes. I have no real problem with dropped calls unless my friends are having a problem where they are. I have service where others don't and no roaming anywhere in the U.S.
    Yup. (snipped what didn't apply)
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

chris2001 is offline Captain
    I am currently with Cingular and have no real complaints all though its about time they update their service plans. I currently use the LGCU500 cell phone. Let me tell you its an awesome phone I have no complaints. Like 121 I am a total junkie when it comes to new technology on cell phones. I hate having old crap never seems to function as well as the newer models that come out every year or so couple months.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I have Virgin Mobile....only place I didn't get reception was the Grand Canyon.

$15 every 3 months to keep it active.

Can you tell I don't use it much?
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

carolina is offline Master Officer
    I have Sprint. I've been with Sprint since the early 90's. I've always had very good service with them. There's been a few places that I haven't had service but mostly those were places in and around the Pisgah National Forrest, or way out in the boonies.

I've had a variety of different phones over the years LG / Samsung / but the phone that I get the best reception with by far is the Sanyo phones. If you will notice in the Sprint stores most of the sales tech's carry the Sanyo's as well, at least in this area. The only Samsung I had, I really hated reception wise.

My phone got fried in cup holder of my vehicle, I had been talking, and was having to shift gears dropped it in the cup holder, it had coffee in the bottom that I didn't realize was there, fried the phone. I had insurance but they sent me the Samsung instead of a Sanyo like I had. I did not like that at all. The insurance co. said they only had to replace like features not the brand.

Currently, I have the Sanyo Katana and I love it! The screen is big enough that web browsing is ok. Yes, I like the fact that with Sprint you can go to any web-site. I can even get o.com but it is very hard to read. I can check my email anytime, get directions on go.com. The other Sanyo's have been really tuff, taken a lot of abuse. However, immersion in water kills them.

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    My service is with Qwest and my phone is a Sanyo 3100 (VGA camera, speakerphone, Internet-ready, and external display). I have a family plan of 500 local/long distance minutes per month with free nights and weekends (no charges to/from cell/home phone) and they don't count toward my 500 minutes. I especially like this because I must be able to stay in touch with my son. The only additional charge is for text messaging (5 cents per incoming/outgoing). I don't have any complaints regarding my service and dropped calls are few and far between (not enough to make me want to change my service).

I really want a RAZR!

dapples is offline Swamp Kitty
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    we have cingular with text messaging ( we learned during Katrina when ALL towers/etc were down that a text message will get through with limited "signal" when nothing else will. We have constant dropped calls/etc even though all the towers are up and working now

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by dapples View Post
    we have cingular with text messaging ( we learned during Katrina when ALL towers/etc were down that a text message will get through with limited "signal" when nothing else will. We have constant dropped calls/etc even though all the towers are up and working now
    You are still probably getting dropped calls because the towers are being over loaded with calls bouncing off of them. In my area they were having those issues about a year ago. They finally put up some newer towers and a few more towers in new locations. This took care of the issues.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2001 View Post
    You are still probably getting dropped calls because the towers are being over loaded with calls bouncing off of them. In my area they were having those issues about a year ago. They finally put up some newer towers and a few more towers in new locations. This took care of the issues.
    In our town, the Town Council had been to blame historically for the lack of cell towers - They thought that the towers were ugly.

Now almost all cell towers are being approved for one reason: The people who use cell phones finally spoke up louder than the beautification nuts.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

dapples is offline Swamp Kitty
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2001 View Post
    Actually, in my area, we have ALL new towers and more of them too...but..hey.. the northshore (north of New Orleans) gained over 60,000 new residents due to "that storm"...so you may be right

Whitepaw is offline Student of Life
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    I have Alltel. This company before takeover I used was US Cellular. Then they went to Alltel. The phone I use is just a typical camera phone, nothing special. Got deal at $39.00 per month, free calls on the weekend, 1300 minutes total for prime time. (this deal don't exist anymore I think)

The issue phone, department, is the Nextel. The rubber coated one. Nextel is okay, it has many dead spots. I keep my personal phone in my "man bag" just in case.

Oh, I can call anywhere in the USA on the Alltel, even Hawaii. Thats really good.

Whitepaw
    "God Bless America"

"I have no words of wisdom, therefore I listen..."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information