Welcome to the APBWeb.
    mtrak is offline Rookie

MTA Police v. NYPD

I have just made three years in the NYPD plus a year as a civilian. However, I have completed the process for MTA and will be offically hired on Jan. 10th. I just wante some opinions on if I am making the right move or not. Also, if anyone knows anything helpful about the MTA PD that would be great.

Detective7653 is offline Police Detective
    Kinda late now to be asking opinions isn't it.
    Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friend. John 15:13

mtrak is offline Rookie
    not at all. I can always turn down the MTA and stay with the NYPD.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Higher salary, similar benefits, allows you to live farther from the city (lower cost of living), less responsibility. Where are you in the city? Unless you have a nice detail and hate trains, I'd say it's a good move.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

mtrak is offline Rookie
    I am on patrol in sunset park, brooklyn. I have been turned off by the NYPD for some time now. I was just wondering if I ee the MTA as the grass being greener on the other side.

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    i would say take a year of absence from NYPD. try out the MTA for the year if you dont like it you can always go back. i have a buddy who did that to try out an other department in the burbs.
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    To take the one year leave of absence you would have to leave with the permission of the PC - your papers would need to be in already. From the way you word it, does anyone know you may leave or are you just going to go in one morning and toss your shield to the DO? Either way they would probably take you back within 1 year due to the current recruitment problems.

Since the MTA uses the NYPD academy - would you have to reattend the academy or are they accepting you as a lateral?

There are pros and cons to every job. I left the NYPD because I thought the grass was greener too. My new job is both better and worse in different ways. Overall I'm very happy I made the move. Primarily due to the work schedule (less appearances) and higher salary. I love my job, but it is what it is. A job. I wanted a career that could support a family and what I do outside of work.

Of the people I personally know who've jumped ship only two of about fifteen went back. One guy said the suburbs were too boring for him, and the second guy was on the Sgt's list. The city told him if he came back within the year they'd promote him.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

mtrak is offline Rookie
    I have let all my bosses know that I was in the MTA process for some time and that I might be leaving sometime in Jan. I was just notified yesterday that I was being offered employment and that oriention is next week.
    I have another question in regards. The orientation means that I will be hired but should I wait to resign to make sure something does not happen between now and then? I do not want to resign and then find out the hiring date has been pushed back.

mtrak is offline Rookie

MTA Question?

I heard that NYPD offers who switch to the MTA Police Department are not required to attend the Police Academy again. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, does nayone know what I should aspect switching departments?

E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO
    I merged the 2 threads started by MTRAK as they are very similar in nature, MTA PD vs. the NYPD.
    Second thing, IF youy are here and identify yourself as a Police Officer you need to PM RECA, the head mod and get yourself verified.
    Thanks and good luck...
    Eman...
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-23-13, 10:10 PM

Thread Information