Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Is a one-day suspension for making a bomb threat in school sufficient?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    0 0%
  • No

    35 100.00%
  • Undecided

    0 0%
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Crimebytes2's Avatar
    Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    04-14-06
    Location
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Posts
    2,005
    Rep Power
    0

    False Bomb Threat in School Not Taken Seriously

    Earlier this week a student attending the same school as my son made a bomb threat. He claimed it would go off at 3p. Several students reported this to school officials. They were able to trace the rumor back to the student responsible who admitted making up the threat. The police were never called or the parents notified. Instead, a letter was sent home the following day. The student received a one-day suspension... nothing more. Do you agree or disagree with this? As a parent, I think the punishment, or lack thereof, didn't fit the severity of the crime (if you can call it that), especially when one considers everything going on today (terrorism, school shootings, etc.).

    The letter the principal sent home says, "We applaud the students who reported this rumor so that we could investigate and ensure everyone's safety. We encourage this type of courage and openness in our school. Thank you for helping us reinforce these messages with you child." OK. But, what kind of message does a one-day suspension send? I'm not saying we should lock him up and throw away the key. On the other hand, we're not talking about a first grader making a firecracker threat; we're talking about a sixth grader making a bomb threat. Am I wrong to feel this way?

  2. #2
    TXCharlie's Avatar
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Join Date
    12-29-05
    Location
    Dallas Area
    Posts
    5,528
    Rep Power
    3224965
    Certainly you have a right & responsibility to have the school's leadership fired for not calling the police and evacuating the school - Show up at the next School District's meeting with signed petitions in hand!!!

    And if your kid was at the school, it seems to me that you have grounds to file charges against the little bastard yourself, whether the school likes it or not, if it was indeed a threat.

    As far as I know, there is no harm in filing charges even if you have no standing, as long as it's a truthful filing - The DA would simply reject the application if you don't have standing. At least that's how it worked when I filed embezzlement charges against a Chamber of Commerce employee once - She stole $50,000, but because I was only a doner and not a member of the org, the DA let her skate with no criminal charges and a $50,000 civil restitution plan.

    That DA got himself un-elected this past year, for a number of little things like that
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 01-07-07 at 02:32 PM.

    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

  3. #3
    Willowdared's Avatar
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Join Date
    04-26-06
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,177
    Rep Power
    1401351
    Depends on what he actually said vs what the rumor grew into.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

    Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

  4. #4
    Ducky's Avatar
    Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    12-05-05
    Location
    Handbasket, enroute to somewhere hot.
    Posts
    11,108
    Rep Power
    7439165
    That used to be grounds for expulsion. Of course, I went to school knowing if I screwed up, I'd be in line for the vice-principal and his paddle. Somehow growing up knowing that EVERY adult could dole out some pain if I was an asshole made me a better person.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q


  5. #5
    Piggybank Cop's Avatar
    Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Join Date
    05-17-06
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,207
    Rep Power
    645058
    Good thing he didn't have a GI Joe or NRA T-shirt; he could have had the cops called on him and been expelled.

    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

    And no you can't have any.

  6. #6
    TXCharlie's Avatar
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Join Date
    12-29-05
    Location
    Dallas Area
    Posts
    5,528
    Rep Power
    3224965
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgkelly View Post
    Good thing he didn't have a GI Joe or NRA T-shirt; he could have had the cops called on him and been expelled.

    Yeah, one kid in another school district around here was almost expelled for having a shotgun shell in his car - Not a gun, just a loose shell (he had been hunting the previous day, and he had dropped it on his floorboard, which someone saw thru the window). Actually it wasn't even illegal, and I think they dropped the expulsion.

    A girl suspended for giving a classmate a Mydol (over-the-counter pain/cramp remedy).

    and another suspended for bringing a water pistol to school.

    Still another one almost got expelled because she had a steak knife in her lunchbox (her mother packed it for her steak lunch).

    And another for spitting at a bus stop... Police even filed assault charges on him. He was like 8 years old.

    It's getting rediculous.

    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

  7. #7
    phoenixrose's Avatar
    phoenixrose is offline Firebrand
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    12-02-06
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    31415
    For what it's worth, if this kid carries a label, such as BD (behavior disorder), the school's hands are legally tied in what they can and cannot do.

    There would have to be a hearing to determine if the behavior was or was not tied to his disability , and if it WAS....disciplinary action is/will be minimal.

    In our district, we have something called Inclusion...which means...ALL kids are in the regular educational classroom. Does not matter if they can read, write, or control behaviors. If you have a child who is violent, spitting, throwing furniture, pulling chairs out from under other students, etc., etc., etc., you do what you have to do to get them out of the room to protect the other children, and so you can teach the kids that are there to learn. Sometimes, that means a kid that is basically a juvenile delinquent, gets processed into the system as a Behavior Disability.

    If teachers in early to middle grades are successful in getting a problem child labeled, it ensures they have help with that child in the classroom, and can have them taken from the classroom to a BD room when they get out of control and/or violent. BUT, it also means, normal disciplinary recourses are EXTREMELY limited...by law. You cannot punish a child for behaviors that they...supposedly...cannot control.

    That's all I'm going to say on the issue, as it is one of my pet peeves...and I personally think most of these labels are a crock of shit.
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "WHAT canary?"

  8. #8
    TXCharlie's Avatar
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Join Date
    12-29-05
    Location
    Dallas Area
    Posts
    5,528
    Rep Power
    3224965
    I bet that still does not preclude other parents from filing charges on the little bastard, especially if terroristic threats were made in the presence of their children.

    And I know it doesn't preclude them from causing a huge stink at the next School District meeting to insist that the school take threats more seriously, which the newspapers will probably report on.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 01-09-07 at 11:07 AM.

    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

  9. #9
    phoenixrose's Avatar
    phoenixrose is offline Firebrand
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    12-02-06
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    31415
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    I bet that still does not preclude other parents from filing charges on the little bastard, especially if terroristic threats were made in the presence of their children.

    And I know it doesn't preclude them from causing a huge stink at the next School District meeting to insist that the school take threats more seriously, which the newspapers will probably report on.
    If it were ME...if my children were in that school...I'd make a ruckus...a BIG one. Too often, the rights of the majority are stepped on trying to help one or two that do not want to be helped, or cannot be helped. In many ways most parents just don't know or understand, the public schools are VERY limited in what they can and cannot do...legally. This is one reason my kids went to a parochial (sp?) school, despite the fact that I teach in a public system.
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "WHAT canary?"

  10. #10
    dlocke1419's Avatar
    dlocke1419 is offline Officer First Class
    Join Date
    05-18-06
    Posts
    308
    Rep Power
    664408
    I would be pissed for them not evacuating the school, if there is a threat its better to be safe then sorry.

  11. #11
    BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Join Date
    11-27-06
    Posts
    1,838
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    I bet that still does not preclude other parents from filing charges on the little bastard, especially if terroristic threats were made in the presence of their children.

    And I know it doesn't preclude them from causing a huge stink at the next School District meeting to insist that the school take threats more seriously, which the newspapers will probably report on.
    Speaking of papers...

    We had quite a rash of bomb threats here for a couple years. Paper would put it on the front page the next day, local radio would report live from the school. Morning show host decided on day to quit talking about it and the rest at the station went with him on it. No more discussing it, no more live remotes, and it only made the news wrap-up when someone was caught. Newspaper editor followed to the extent that while they still reported on the threats and evacuations, they now don't get front page.

    The frequency of threats fell off dramatically. Instead of two a month there were just two more the second semester. None so far this year. Anecdotal, yes. It could just be coincidence, and I'm not claiming the schools and law enforcement sat idly. The media brownout sure doesn't seem to have hurt though.

  12. #12
    Piggybank Cop's Avatar
    Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Join Date
    05-17-06
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,207
    Rep Power
    645058
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixrose View Post
    For what it's worth, if this kid carries a label, such as BD (behavior disorder), the school's hands are legally tied in what they can and cannot do.

    There would have to be a hearing to determine if the behavior was or was not tied to his disability , and if it WAS....disciplinary action is/will be minimal.

    That's all I'm going to say on the issue, as it is one of my pet peeves...and I personally think most of these labels are a crock of shit.
    I don't care if the little shit is barking mad. Get rid of him. There is crazy and then there is dangerous.

    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

    And no you can't have any.

  13. #13
    OFK's Avatar
    OFK
    OFK is offline Trollicious
    Join Date
    09-24-06
    Location
    Floorduh
    Posts
    524
    Rep Power
    70673
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimebytes2 View Post
    Earlier this week a student attending the same school as my son made a bomb threat. He claimed it would go off at 3p. Several students reported this to school officials. They were able to trace the rumor back to the student responsible who admitted making up the threat. The police were never called or the parents notified. Instead, a letter was sent home the following day. The student received a one-day suspension... nothing more. Do you agree or disagree with this? As a parent, I think the punishment, or lack thereof, didn't fit the severity of the crime (if you can call it that), especially when one considers everything going on today (terrorism, school shootings, etc.).

    The letter the principal sent home says, "We applaud the students who reported this rumor so that we could investigate and ensure everyone's safety. We encourage this type of courage and openness in our school. Thank you for helping us reinforce these messages with you child." OK. But, what kind of message does a one-day suspension send? I'm not saying we should lock him up and throw away the key. On the other hand, we're not talking about a first grader making a firecracker threat; we're talking about a sixth grader making a bomb threat. Am I wrong to feel this way?
    I guess they are rewarding him for admitting it by only giving him a day? I dunno, far less serious offenses get a minimum of a week suspension. Seems a bit unbalanced.

  14. #14
    Piggybank Cop's Avatar
    Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Join Date
    05-17-06
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,207
    Rep Power
    645058
    Quote Originally Posted by OFK View Post
    I guess they are rewarding him for admitting it by only giving him a day? I dunno, far less serious offenses get a minimum of a week suspension. Seems a bit unbalanced.
    Who is the little shit related to?

    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

    And no you can't have any.

  15. #15
    Dudleydoright's Avatar
    Dudleydoright is offline Officer First Class
    Join Date
    02-22-06
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    203
    Rep Power
    164949
    Here is the policy for the school district that I work in. I won't submit the whole policy but the pertinent part:

    Any threat that includes the mention of a weapon or explosive device will result in a 10-180 days out-of-school suspension with a possible recommendation for expulsion and legal authorities will be notified. K-5 students will be subject to an out-of school suspension for up to 180 days or expulsion.

    Please understand that there are always extenuating circumstances. But, your school district should have a written policy and consequences. Ask to see it. Hope this helps.

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Form US-0982-3322-J-66A
    By BEK in forum Shenanigans
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-12-07, 05:18 AM
  2. Senior prank gone wrong
    By Cidp24 in forum In the News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-14-07, 07:22 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-23-07, 12:20 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-01-07, 02:36 AM
  5. Undercover drug sting nets 15 high school students
    By Willowdared in forum In the News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-04-07, 12:54 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •