Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO

Jeep Wrangler???????

Anyone ever own a Jeep?

Im looking at a 1998 Wrangler soft top 4 cyl 5 speed with 63,000 miles on it. Its in pretty good shape and I have the guy at $6500 for it. Im going to test drive it today.
    I dont care about the motor not having enough power because im just buying it to goof around in but may take it to the beach this summer.
    I have my 2001 4wd truck paid off and I have a take home ride so I dont really need this but I figure since I have made it to 30 with knocking any one up I deserve a toy
    Anyone have any info.
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

PersiusOne is offline Patrol Monkey
    I like the hard tops better, but Jeeps are kick-ass. Decent deal - did he say what stuff has been replaced yet, how old the brakes are, etc? Those little things can add up in a hurry. Ask about the clutch on a vehicle over 60k miles.
    The opinions expressed in this post do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency, Police Chief, or any other member or employee of my department or municipality.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Wranglers are fun little rides.

My sister has a Grand Cherokee and it's never given her any problems. I'm in love with the new 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8!
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    you will really wish you had the 6cylinder.. 4cyls are a bit doggish. You should find a used car dealer who has some jeeps and drive both- you will see the difference, trust me.

Nothing better for a 3rd 'summertime' vehicle though.
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    I figure since I have made it to 30 with knocking any one up I deserve a toy
    Anyone have any info.
    Here's my info- I had my toys (2 BMWs) when I was 27 and 30 respectively. I ended up knocking my (now) wife up at 33... So there.
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

bmf95b is offline PATROL DEPUTY
    My dad has a jeep just like that but it has bigger tires, looks sharp but we can only get 55mph in 4th, hit 5th and maybe 48-50. But it is really good for the ranch and gooffing off. We never hual-ass in any way. Check the 4x4 gear lever they tend to be loose or get disconected. Just pull straight up on it slightly and you fell if it needs to be re bolted on. This is my dad 2nd jeep and they both do that.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Only problems I have had with a Jeep are the cheap ass window parts they come with. Both my windows ended up sinking down into the door while I was driving because a cheap plastic gear broke. Within a month of each other. $360 each.

dlocke1419 is offline Officer First Class
    Get a carfax on it and make sure it hasnt been rolled, once they are rolled and repair they are never the same.

KSCop is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I had a jeep cj for years, loved it! Am looking for another at this time....found several on ebay motors.com. very reasonable. We have a dealer in town with a wrangler with quite a few options, it's a '99 with 46000 on it for 8800. (6cyl is the way to go)

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    Anyone ever own a Jeep?

Im looking at a 1998 Wrangler soft top 4 cyl 5 speed with 63,000 miles on it. Its in pretty good shape and I have the guy at $6500 for it. Im going to test drive it today.
    I dont care about the motor not having enough power because im just buying it to goof around in but may take it to the beach this summer.
    I have my 2001 4wd truck paid off and I have a take home ride so I dont really need this but I figure since I have made it to 30 with knocking any one up I deserve a toy
    Anyone have any info.

I've had two Cherokees (still own the one). My first one (a 1992)had 220,000 miles on it when it was stolen. Another agency recovered it while it was being driven (240,000 miles by then... and trashed by the theif). That vehicle ran like a champ and never gave me any trouble, and I'm sure the oil hadn't been changed in the last 20,000 miles either.

As a result, I bought another Cherokee (2001) to replace it. I've driven this new vehicle about 25,000 miles so far, and it hasn't given me any problems.

Given that I live at the base of the Rockies, my jeeps get some hard miles on them, on some very rough roads... I've also towed trailers cross-country with both of the jeeps. So, I've been impressed with how they've held up.

I should probably also mention that both of my jeeps have had the 6cyl 4.0L engine. I don't know how the 4cyl compares, but I would tend to think it is a bit underpowered... someone told me that they thought it was also less reliable, but I've never actually had the smaller engine.

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by OffDuty View Post
    Here's my info- I had my toys (2 BMWs) when I was 27 and 30 respectively. I ended up knocking my (now) wife up at 33... So there.

So if I buy a toy I should start pulling out?????
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

Thread Information