Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Retmilleo909 is offline Banned

What's the closest you've come to keeping a date with the grim reaper?

Through accident, injury or illness what's the closest you've come to having and keeping a date with Mr. G. Reaper?
    I've had a lot of close calls, but the closest was when I fell through thin ice into a salt-water pond.

dapples is offline Swamp Kitty
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Esteda View Post
    Through accident, injury or illness what's the closest you've come to having and keeping a date with Mr. G. Reaper?
    I've had a lot of close calls, but the closest was when I fell through thin ice into a salt-water pond.
    When I was 28 years old, I had Guillain Barre' Syndrome:

Guillain-Barré (ghee-yan bah-ray) syndrome is a disorder in which the body's immune system attacks part of the peripheral nervous system. The first symptoms of this disorder include varying degrees of weakness or tingling sensations in the legs. In many instances, the weakness and abnormal sensations spread to the arms and upper body. These symptoms can increase in intensity until the muscles cannot be used at all and the patient is almost totally paralyzed. In these cases, the disorder is life-threatening and is considered a medical emergency. The patient is often put on a respirator to assist with breathing. Most patients, however, recover from even the most severe cases of Guillain-Barré syndrome, although some continue to have some degree of weakness. Guillain-Barré syndrome is rare. Usually Guillain-Barré occurs a few days or weeks after the patient has had symptoms of a respiratory or gastrointestinal viral infection. Occasionally, surgery or vaccinations will trigger the syndrome. The disorder can develop over the course of hours or days, or it may take up to 3 to 4 weeks. No one yet knows why Guillain-Barré strikes some people and not others or what sets the disease in motion. What scientists do know is that the body's immune system begins to attack the body itself, causing what is known as an autoimmune disease. Guillain-Barré is called a syndrome rather than a disease because it is not clear that a specific disease-causing agent is involved. Reflexes such as knee jerks are usually lost. Because the signals traveling along the nerve are slower, a nerve conduction velocity (NCV) test can give a doctor clues to aid the diagnosis. The cerebrospinal fluid that bathes the spinal cord and brain contains more protein than usual, so a physician may decide to perform a spinal tap.

I was totally paralyzed in a matter of 3 days. I fully recovered.
    I learned at a young age (empathy NOT sympathy) on how it feels to be totally dependant on another for your care and well being. So something postive came from something very scarey I am a great patient advocate.

Thank the Good Lord and my Mom

Roses is offline Member
    When a lightning bolt struck down less then 30 feet from me. The bark from the tree was hitting me and the light was so bright it blurred my vision for a few seconds. I could feel the strength of the wind from it on my body as the ground shook under my feet. My hearing was faint. I had to touch myself to see if I was still alive. Everything was light colored like as in a fog. I didn't realize it was tree bark that was hitting me at the time. I had to feel my hair to see if it was on fire. A nurse yelled out to me to see if I was alright and I had to ask was I hit? He pointed to the tree.
    Last edited by Roses; 01-14-07 at 06:42 PM.
    http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/1369/rosekdrosetransp9fk2eb.gif

A Smile

A smile cost nothing, but gives so much.

It enriches those who receive it,
    without making poorer those who give.
    It takes but a moment, but the memory
    of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he
    can get along without it,
    and none is so poor but that
    he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home,
    fosters goodwill in business,
    and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary,
    cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad,
    and it is nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed,
    or stolen, for it is something that is of no
    value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.
    Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile
    so much as he who has no more to give.

- author unknown

Car accident when I was like 8. We got t-boned at an intersection by a dude running a red light, all I remember was the car spinning around, hugging my stuffed dog really tight and then everything when black. Yep pretty sure I was dead. Obviously not.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Did a dive into a shallow pool, head hit the cement bottom straight on at about 4 1/2 feet of water. I think if I'd hit at an angle my neck would have been broken.

Thinking back on it, there's been several things I shouldn't have been able to walk away from without a scratch, but I did. I think I'm going to play the lottery now!
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Aegis is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I was three weeks out of the academy. I responded to a domestic/protective order violation with the other two officers on the shift. We got into a fight with the cracked out suspect, and ended up struggling with him while wedged in a narrow apartment hallway. The struggle was so intense that we couldn't answer our radios on the 10-4 checks. The dispatcher (a very good one) started sending anyone she could find as backup. She sent the S.O., State Police, E.M.S., and Fire Department.

I was totally engaged in the fight when I heard the unmistakable sound of a shotgun cycling. I whipped around to see a Deputy pointing a shotgun at a second suspect standing right behind me with a bumper jack over his shoulder like a baseball bat. If the deputy hadn't gotten there when he did, I wouldn't have survived getting hit in the head with the jack.

I feel like that was the closest call that I know about. There's no telling how many times I've been close and didn't even know.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Hmmmm I don't really have an exciting story.......all of the ones I read above made me hold my breath. Wow.
    Closest I came was from food poisoning. Was from In n Out (which I still can NOT even go there for a drink without my stomach turning). I was very ill and close to death....(that is what the Dr in ER said, anyways)
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    Mine was at the end of a pursuit with a murder suspect. We had stop sticked two of his tires and he was still going about 60 when he lost control, spun out and hit a cement bridge pillar.

Following the big explosion of debris and dust from the crash the car came to rest against a tree. Just as I roll up the suspect comes up from the car shooting. His first shot went thru my windshield just as I was putting the car in park. I saw him and the gun, which looked like a cannon, it was a 38, but it looked huge. His second shot missed, then he turned and shot at a deputy. When I saw it I knew I had to get down out of the way. I don't remember putting the car in park or bailing out of my car, but I do remember feeling glass burn my arm as I bailed.

Sometime I pulled my 45 Glock and returned fire (10 rounds) and a deputy, also got shot at, emptied his 40 cal (16 rounds)

We won, suspects (2) both dead. Utah detectives advised that we closed thier murder case.

It was the biggest adrenaline dump I have ever had and that shot was way to f***ing close.
    Last edited by Big Al; 01-15-07 at 07:33 AM.

Going off what Aegis said, it's kind of creepy to think of how many possible times you have been close to death but weren't aware or didn't know.
    There’s a promise I need you to make
    While I’m gone you take care of the love
    And I’ll deal with the hate.

Don’t worry about me; I’ll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    I’ll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Well, I lost a good bit of blood from a bleeding ulcer (was admitted to the hospital with 50% of my normal blood preassure they said, but I was consious the whole time, just very dizzy).

Then there was the time I developed congestive heart failure a couple of decades ago. Got thru that ok.

There's been a number of traffic incidents (including a guy speeding 70 MPH the wrong way on an Arkansas interstate at night, which I narrowly missed by taking evasive action to the shoulder from the left lane in a company van full of employees - I thought the the damn van was gonna flip, but it didn't - I hate vans, they drive like boats!!!).

I have actually met at least 4 people driving the wrong way on Interstates in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Arkansas - including one State Trooper in Mississippi, halfway on the shoulder and halfway in the right lane, for God nows what reason, which I met coming over a little hill between Vicksburg and Jackson.

I've been shot at once by a drunk family member when I was a teen too (he missed by about 5 feet and I got the gun away from him - so I'm not sure I could even call that "close"). He was lucky to even stand up before he shot at me & my mother, and couldn't after I got through with him. the next day he was asking where the bruises came from - The fucker didn't even remember
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 01-14-07 at 09:03 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

HardNoseBull is offline HardNoseBull
    When I was a kid I had a disease called Steven Johnsons Syndrome, I lost all the top layers of skin on my body and looked like burn victim, I was lucky I lived and with minamal scarring,when I was a nightclub doorman i was stabbed in the back, scared me bad, but only went in a little bit. When I was 19 I worked in a oil refinery and was about 150 yards away from a tank when it exploded and rained gas oil down us, it was like slo-motion, that one fucked me up for abit.
    Giggity giggity Goo!

Glen Quagmire,Family Guy, Pick any Episode

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    When I was about 12 or 13 I was in a minor car accident. I was in the front seat with my dad driving, and we started to pass a pickup pulling an irrigation pipe trailer. My dad couldn't see the fact that the pickup had his left turn signal on (no lights on the trailer), and the trailer came into the left lane as we were accelerating around it. The pipe on the trailer smashed into the windshield directly in front of my head, but the glass held. If it had come through, it probably would have decapitated me.

The funny thing is, the only damage to either vehicle was our broken windshield.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Main chute didn't open once.

Tank gunnery, firing tank followed the searchlight beam the wrong way; I was searchlight tank; close no cigar. He got his ass reamed by me twice, once for following the light the wrong way and twice for being such a lousy shot.

Couple of times when I was young people took some shots at me with shotguns.

A couple more but I’m too lazy to type them all out.
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

bmf95b is offline PATROL DEPUTY
    The most vivid incident is being ambushed in Tikrit back in 2003.

TXCOP is offline Officer First Class
    Like a few others mine are military related.

Got a heat stroke when I was new in country in Panama in 89. Just wasn't ready for the heat. We were getting ready for the fight that we knew was coming. Loading and unloading the blackhawks all day. Plus I was made the RTO. And my LT was too big a pussy to carry his own shit. I knew it was bad when I started feeling like shit. I was actually talking to a medic when I fell over backwards. He and a team of other medics ran me to a table just as the convulsions hit. I had two guys jump on top of me to hold me down so they could run IVs into both my arms. Forced two ringers solutions into me quick followed by two more on slow drip. I remember all of this but it seemed like I was watching it. The medic that my platoon used (the guy who I was talking to) told me later that I should have died.

Next month during the fight, I was working on my radio(comm problems are a bitch) and never saw a Panamanian with a service revolver sneaking up on me. Turns out that he was a military officer who lived in the houses behind our position. Our sniper earned himself a beer on that one.
    "Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you.
    He is training with minimum food or water, in austere conditions, day and night.
    The only thing clean on him is his weapon.
    He doesn't worry about what workout to do---his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
    The True Believer doesn't care "how hard it is"; he knows he either wins or he dies.
    He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home.
    He knows only the Cause.
    Now, who wants to quit?"

"I am only one, but I am one. I can not do everything, but I can do something. And because I can not do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do I should do. And what I should do, by the Grace of God, I will do."

Edward Everett Hale

OFK
    OFK is offline Trollicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Just KC View Post
    Hmmmm I don't really have an exciting story.......all of the ones I read above made me hold my breath. Wow.
    Closest I came was from food poisoning. Was from In n Out (which I still can NOT even go there for a drink without my stomach turning). I was very ill and close to death....(that is what the Dr in ER said, anyways)

NOT IN AND OUT?!?! Damn, I had that from Taco Bell and I still can't eat there either.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Quote Originally Posted by HardNoseBull View Post
    When I was a kid I had a disease called Steven Johnsons Syndrome, I lost all the top layers of skin on my body and looked like burn victim, I was lucky I lived and with minamal scarring,when I was a nightclub doorman i was stabbed in the back, scared me bad, but only went in a little bit. When I was 19 I worked in a oil refinery and was about 150 yards away from a tank when it exploded and rained gas oil down us, it was like slo-motion, that one fucked me up for abit.

WOW WOW! You are lucky to be alive! You must be a cat
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    On a rain soaked motorway standing in the 3rd lane trying to put out the cones behind a wrecked vehicle into the centre barrier.

The spray was so heavy vehicles approaching couldn't see us or our lights and so were reacting real late.

All I remember is seeing a car spinning completely out of control and heading straight for me. I can still see the female drivers face as she and I realised their was nothing anyone could do.

I think she missed me by about 2ft in the end and came to rest facing the right way and undamaged, I just had to shout and swear at her to keep going before she got hit! For which I now apologise.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    For me, it was a car accident when I was 18. I was in a coma for 2 weeks. I woke up to a broken left arm, a fractured jaw, fractured left knee, 3 fractured vertabrae in my back, a fractured neck, and all my teeth were knocked loose. I had to learn to walk again, and on top of that, I was facing a lawsuit for 1/2 million, and criminal charges. Life sucked, but I lived through it.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    I just had to shout and swear at her to keep going before she got hit! For which I now apologise.
    You guys are just way too polite

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information