Welcome to the APBWeb.
    elkoholic is offline elkoholic

How would u feel???

In April of 04 a 15 year old juvenile that I was pursuing hit me head on with his vehicle into mine at over 70 mph. My patrol vehicle was totalled and I had numerous injuries, but still here. The juvenile was found guilty of 2nd degree attempted murder and was sent to a juvi facility until 21 or so I thought. I recently went back to court as this criminal had been released because he was rehabiliated according to everyone. In court I we took the stand point that he should be incarerated until he was 21 as the plea agreement states. The judge thouht otherwise and placed him on some of that really double tough probation. How would u feel about this???

My stand point is that if he can stay out of trouble and can become a productive member of society more power to him. I don't feel that throwing him into the wolf pack will help just make a career criminal. My wife thinks differently, but she is the wife and is concerned everyday I work.

Growler is offline I is not happy
    Verified LEO
    Throw em to wolves and let em have a feast. This didn't stop when you were pursuing em so as I see it, innocence has long been gone my friend. He was already on his way to being acareer criminal, you just happened to be at the work the same day he clocked in for his.

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I would be extremely upset about it. I couldn't do your job -- more power to you being able to deal with that you went through and still be able to be thoughtful about it. I'd have a lot of anger.

Aegis is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Wow, based on the "join date" in your info you've been lurking quite a while before making your first post.

You aren't listed as a "Verified LEO". What kind of patrolling do you do?

I'm a little confused about your post. Could you clarify for me?
    Quote Originally Posted by elkoholic
    I don't feel that throwing him into the wolf pack will help just make a career criminal. My wife thinks differently, but she is the wife and is concerned everyday I work.
    Are you saying that you don't think the perpetrator should be on probation, and that your wife thinks he should? Or, are you saying that you think he should get probation, and your wife thinks he should stay in detention?

I'll reserve further comment until I get some clarification, but I will say that I don't favor probation for crimes that risk peoples lives in most instances.

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    Probation for crimes that results in another person getting severely wounded, killed or maimed to me is out of the question.

Crimes where there is no "victim" are another matter to me. If somebody had to suffer because of your actions (got beat up, robbed etc) then you should do the time and deal with it.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We have serious problems in the Juvenile Justice Systems - nationwide. I worked a stint in Juvie P&P when I came back to law enforcement. I decided it really wasn't for me when I was ordered to prepare early release paperwork for an 11 year-old rapist who had only undergone a 90 day residential intervention program. He served the 90 days as part of a 3 year secure custody sentence. A week before he got out, he was disciplined for waving his genitals at a female security officer at the facility and telling her what he wanted her to do with them.

There aren't any easy answers, and those who are supposed 'experts' in these matters never see these kids on the street like we do. Many of us know how you feel. The ODMP link below was a fine detective, and a great guy. Tommy Daughdrill, a Pike County MS Sheriff's Detective, predicted in court that a juvenile was going to hurt or kill someone just months before he encountered that same juvenile again on the scene of a burglary. Tommy's prediction was right, dead right. The person he killed... was Tommy Daughdrill.

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=375

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't. He goes back to juvie, he learns how to be a better criminal. He stays out, he's learned that there aren't any consequences for his actions.

Whether or not he becomes a productive member of society is entirely up to him. He might turn out okay without going back. If he was sent back, he might get out at 21 and still turn out okay.

It seems pretty clear to me that most criminals do not chose a law abiding path, whether or not they spend a significant amount of time in prison. As far as I'm concerned, "corrections" should have nothing to do with correcting or rehabilitating anyone. Even punishing them is a waste of effort, because they don't care.

Prisons should be considered a place to warehouse criminals. As long as they're being bars, they can't victimize anyone except each other (and, unfortunately, prison staff). If this kid was to stay locked up for another three years, that would be three more years that he wouldn't be running from and attempting to murder cops.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

resdepbrian is offline Posse Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    We have serious problems in the Juvenile Justice Systems - nationwide. I worked a stint in Juvie P&P when I came back to law enforcement. I decided it really wasn't for me when I was ordered to prepare early release paperwork for an 11 year-old rapist who had only undergone a 90 day residential intervention program. He served the 90 days as part of a 3 year secure custody sentence. A week before he got out, he was disciplined for waving his genitals at a female security officer at the facility and telling her what he wanted her to do with them.

There aren't any easy answers, and those who are supposed 'experts' in these matters never see these kids on the street like we do. Many of us know how you feel. The ODMP link below was a fine detective, and a great guy. Tommy Daughdrill, a Pike County MS Sheriff's Detective, predicted in court that a juvenile was going to hurt or kill someone just months before he encountered that same juvenile again on the scene of a burglary. Tommy's prediction was right, dead right. The person he killed... was Tommy Daughdrill.

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=375
    Well said CB
    "Don't make me climb down from this horse"
    http://www.myspace.com/capt_brian

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    get verified then we will talk.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

Aegis. To answer the first part I'm a deputy in a small rural community with usually one deputy on at a time. Help is a far cry away usually.
    For the rest I do believe he should be on intensive probation and monitored very closely. If he fails he will go to the big house. My wife is angery for the fact the judge threw the plea agreement out the window and made up his own solution. I knew going into the hearing that the judge would never re-incarcerate him so I think I got the best we could. COUNTY BEAR is completely correct. Juveniles are the most dangerous in my opinion. When this happend someone stated that they were shocked he was only 15 years old. I told them I would have been shocked if it was someone over 25. Nothing shocks me about juvies because t.v., video games, and parents encourage this behavior or just don't care.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    get verified then we will talk.
    Not to be rude or nothing, but +1.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Trying to figure it out how to get verified. Me and puters don't get along.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by elkoholic View Post
    Trying to figure it out how to get verified. Me and puters don't get along.

PM any moderator. Reca is who you should aim for, really though. Give him all your department information and your name, he will take care of the rest.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Thread Information