Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    carolina is offline Master Officer

Question What would you prefer?

Okay, I know this is a topic that people really don't like talking about. But here goes: When that day comes ... would you prefer to be cremated or buried? Is there scripture that says that you shouldn't be cremated? Anyone care to discuss?

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

phoenixrose is offline Firebrand
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Cremation.

I don't care to see someone laid out in a coffin. That last image in my mind is THAT image...and it isn't THEM. I don't want my kids to see me like that. I want them to remember me as being alive and smiling and laughing...not laying in some box with a fake smile. Just my personal preference, though. Don't know what the religious implications are...and don't particularly care. It's not the body that God takes home...again, just my opinion.
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"WHAT canary?"

E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO
    Jenna can vouch for this but in the Jewish religion one must be buried within 24 or 48 hrs and with ALL possible bodyparts. No donations, something to the effect of the body itself is on loan from G-d and we must return it as complete as possible. There is a more profound and better explanation but Iam not that well versed.

I can google some stuff and maybe post my findings here.
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

I am not trying to anger any one here but when I die I dont really care what happens..I mean its not like I will feal it or anything. I do belive in God just dont care how the empty vessel is treated after I leave.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    I want to be buried in a well sealed container..... to preserve any evidence that might be found later.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Donate what can be used by others and cremate the rest. Viewing if possible, to help others find closure.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Anybody know how much it costs to be cremated? I would chose the cheaper of the two and I know a coffin and all that stuff can get super expensive. I just don't see the point...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    Cremation is much cheaper than burial.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Cremations can go anywhere from free (donate your body to science, your relatives get your ashes back in a year) to almost as much as a traditional funeral. Just gotta shop it around. It's cheaper if you've got a local funeral home that has a crematorium, they can handle everything in house.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

carolina is offline Master Officer
    Cremation is the way I want to go too, I've always said this, actually I have donated my organs if anyone can use them, and I want to have a wake with my pict. and a party celebrating the beginning of my journey. Yes, it is much cheaper, and more earth friendly. I just have a phobia about being trapped in a box to be eaten by bugs eventually.

I have a brother that for some odd reason, thinks it is wrong to be cremated. He argued you would go to hell if you did. I told him if God can create the world by speaking it into existence ... We will surely be where we need to be when the time comes. That the shell is just that. I think he has a phobia with the fire, and associates it with hell.

He even argued that he wouldn't let me, but I told him too bad my family trumps what ever you think, and they know what I want. Not like I'd know anything about it. Besides in NC a law was passed that you can pre-set this up for yourself now sign appropriate papers and it's a done deal, no one has to worry about it, and it can't be changed.

So I was just wondering everyone else's thoughts. I haven't read the bible in it's entirety, but I've been told there is no scripture to validate his fears.

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Creamtion. No one will remember me in fifty years anyway. Why make another hole with a little stone for people to knock over?
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    I read that someone can cremate your body and form some sort of small jewell from the remains. I think that would be pretty cool.
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Actually, I want to be bronzed... They can even do it in a cool pose with my arms out so that I could be used as a coat rack in the future (function before form).

Of course, my hippie woman says I'll be cremated... she says that graves take up too much space, and she has promised me that I'll die before her (hmm, I wonder if that is that something I should take as a threat?). Plus, she thinks a bronze coat rack would look crapy in the house. Anyway, I don't much care what "they" do with me once I'm dead... so I guess someone could just throw my ashes on a mountain somewhere.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    I don't fancy either, so plan on not dying.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    cremated
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I have no preference, whatever will be easiest on my family and give them the most comfort in saying goodbye.

As a side note, one of my friends wants to be cremated and have his remains divided and placed into small pendants to be given to various loved ones.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Donate what can be used by others and cremate the rest. Viewing if possible, to help others find closure.
    What Ducky said.

Abby is offline My mommy says I'm special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimebytes2 View Post
    What Ducky said.
    Ditto for me too.
    Some people dream of success, while other people live to crush those dreams.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Since we're all going to hell anyway, might as well get started as soon as possible.

Cremation.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgkelly View Post
    Since we're all going to hell anyway, might as well get started as soon as possible.

Cremation.

Not all of us are going to hell. Some of us really are angels.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information