Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.

Judges accused of drunk driving

Younger judge declined sobriety test after wreck that injured Ill. man
    The Associated Press
    Updated: 12:56 a.m. ET Dec 8, 2006

BELLEVILLE, Ill. - A judge driving with his boss was charged with drunken driving after a wreck that sent another motorist to the hospital, and the other judge was seen by an officer pouring out a can of beer, police said.

St. Clair County Circuit Judge Patrick Young, 58, was handcuffed and arrested and charged with drunken driving after the Sunday crash, about 20 miles from St. Louis. He refused a sobriety test, authorities said.

Another officer, Jeffrey Sheary, reported seeing Young’s passenger, Chief Judge Jan Fiss, 64, pour out an open beer can on the road and try to hide it in his coat.

It was not immediately clear Thursday if Fiss had been charged.

In his report, Belleville police Patrolman Shane Brown said Young was apparently turning left in his sport utility vehicle when he entered the path of a pickup truck. Its driver, Abel Muhammad, 39, was trapped in the wreckage and later hospitalized complaining of a broken leg.

Brown reported detecting “a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage” on Young’s breath. He wrote Young “also had glassy, red bloodshot eyes.”

Young’s attorney, Clyde Kuehn, said Thursday his client was “absolutely within his rights” to refuse a field sobriety test and a Breathalyzer test, saying the tests have proven unreliable.

Refusing a blood alcohol test leads to a six-month license suspension in Illinois. The misdemeanor DUI count carries a maximum punishment of a year in jail and $1,000 in fines, Kuehn said.

Young was released after posting his driver’s license and $100 as bond.

Messages left Thursday for both judges through the court were not immediately returned.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    A judge in Salem, Oregon was arrested for DUI a few years ago. I got to watch the tape from the Trooper's camera. The judge is still on the bench, and he refuses to recuse himself from cases in which OSP was the arresting agency.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    A judge in Salem, Oregon was arrested for DUI a few years ago. I got to watch the tape from the Trooper's camera. The judge is still on the bench, and he refuses to recuse himself from cases in which OSP was the arresting agency.
    Why should he if the people don't make them? The judges are untouchable unless they are caught diddling themselves under the bench during trial like that one recently. Then they just retire and never get smacked.... Pisses me off.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgkelly View Post

Brown reported detecting “a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage” on Young’s breath. He wrote Young “also had glassy, red bloodshot eyes.”

Young’s attorney, Clyde Kuehn, said Thursday his client was “absolutely within his rights” to refuse a field sobriety test and a Breathalyzer test, saying the tests have proven unreliable.

i think thats hilarious...because every single person under suspicion of drunk driving has the right to refuse to participate in fst's/breathalyzer test. that doesnt mean they are innocent by any means. in my experience, it USUALLY means they know theyll fail, and they are trying to limit the evidence against them.

how can a judge say that the tests accepted and regulated by the state are unreliable...the failing of the tests are the probable cause for the lock up. along with what the officer noted in this case...strong smell of alcoholic beverage, glassy eyes, slurred speech, trouble maintaining balance, (pouring beer out on the side of the road when you think noone is looking), etc. if that is the judge's view, id be curious to know does he just throw out every dui case that comes across his desk?

with this view, how could he ever oversee a dui case with impartiality?
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    That's taking "roadside lawyer" to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    with this view, how could he ever oversee a dui case with impartiality?
    Not anymore. Though when was the last time you came across a truly impartial judge? Politicians are bad enough when they wear suits and make laws over a six martini lunch, but throw a black robe on them and they're worse.

Thread Information