Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

Citizen's Police Academy Classes

Anyone here ever take these classes or know of someone who did? I'm wondering because I've signed up for the spring session and I'm kind of nervous and excited about it at the same time.

I'm nervous because I've never shot a gun before (as far as I can remember anyway). I'm either going to faint, sweat profusely or worse. I'll probably be shaking so bad they just might take the gun away from me.

On the other hand...I'm excited because I get to sit in a squad car and hopefully play with all the buttons. They say we get to drive it but that makes me nervous because I don't want to hit anything. I'd rather just sit in it for awhile then we can just pretend the car is moving.

So...can anyone tell me something more about these classes?
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    Sure, first off dont be nervous. You will be in your class with lots of other people from all walks of life, from mid 20 somethings to grandmothers.

Yes, you get to drive cruisers, play with the buttons, learn how to handcuff somebody, get to see how the toys that we use are played with and employed.

Relax and have fun. CPA's are not a pass/fail event. They are mostly to familiarize the public with what police do, how they do it and why. You should learn a fair amount and come away with a better understanding of police procedures and the police themselves. On the nervous/scared front, be upfront and tell the instructors your concerns so they can be aware of your nervousness.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    What a coincidence. I just filled out an application to attend the Council Bluffs Citizen's Police Academy beginning March 01, 2007. This isn't my first CPA. I attended the very first one held in the Spring of 1997. In fact, the instructor for that class is now the Chief. There's nothing to be nervous about. Like armygrnt502 says, relax and have fun.

http://www.cbpolice.org/cpa3.asp

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by armygrnt502 View Post
    On the nervous/scared front, be upfront and tell the instructors your concerns so they can be aware of your nervousness.
    Thanks, armygrnt. I've already made them aware of how I feel about guns. I just hope I don't mess up and accidently shoot my toe off.

Thanks for your input.

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimebytes2 View Post
    What a coincidence. I just filled out an application to attend the Council Bluffs Citizen's Police Academy beginning March 01, 2007. This isn't my first CPA. I attended the very first one held in the Spring of 1997. In fact, the instructor for that class is now the Chief. There's nothing to be nervous about. Like armygrnt502 says, relax and have fun.

http://www.cbpolice.org/cpa3.asp
    Wow, that's neat! We can trade stories.

My academy starts at the end of this month and runs for 10 weeks. I can't wait to meet other people that are interested in LE. I'd love to find out what made them join, do they support LE in other ways and just generally how do they feel about LE. We get to join the alumni association at the end of the session. I look forward to exchanging ideas on what they do to support the local PDs.

Now see, there's something to be excited about. I'll try not to think of the things that make me nervous.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Sixteen more days till the academy starts! Let's hope they don't start without me. I haven't heard anything yet. The deadline for applications was this week but I had mine in long before that.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Just relax and enjoy it. The Officers will be friendly and respectful because you're citizens in the Citizens Police Academy, not first day Recruits in the real Police Academy!

Keep us updated with how it goes and what you do and learn!
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

I mailed my application this past Monday. I'm hoping I will hear something soon.

Emily is offline Corporal
    I was in a CPA class back in May with a smaller sized PD. The majority of the time it was guest speakers (SWAT, K9, accident reconstruction, etc). Although there were a couple weeks of simmunitions, and getting people drunk and guessing their BAC.

The class met every Thursday night for 11 weeks. That didn't seem like it was long enough. It's a blast, you'll have fun.

Supporting Member Lvl 2

Update...

Well, I didn't make it in for the spring session. They had too many applicants (which is a good thing). There is another academy in the area but they haven't set any dates as of yet. Despite being nervous about it, I was really looking forward to it. I'm going to keep trying to get in but from what I can tell it may be awhile.

I'm depressed and need hugs...or chocolate.

Gatekeeper is offline Enjoy your stay
    I attented a civilan academy, and started working as a volunteer. It turned out to be a great foot in the door, and here I sit with a new career in Law Enforcement.
    I would advise you to be willing to listen and learn. Be respectfull, and never boastfull. Law Enforcement is a small tight comunity, and if you prove to be an ass it will get around quickly, and limit your potental for growth as a volunteer in police service.
    Good Luck to you both, and have fun.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    I start my citizen's academy on Tuesday with the Sheriff's Office I'd like to work for. Since applying to every agency in the state hasn't worked out for me, I decided to put all my eggs in one basket with the agency I really want. I'll do the CPA, and then start volunteering with them and applying for any opening they have. They'll get so sick of processing my applications they'll have to hire me.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by isthatlegal? View Post
    Well, I didn't make it in for the spring session. They had too many applicants (which is a good thing). There is another academy in the area but they haven't set any dates as of yet. Despite being nervous about it, I was really looking forward to it. I'm going to keep trying to get in but from what I can tell it may be awhile.

I'm depressed and need hugs...or chocolate.

Keep trying. Don't worry about not getting in the first time, you will probably get the same problem when you go for the real deal.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I want to go into LE. I don't. I'm a homemaker in my 40's with severe arthritis so even if I wanted to I couldn't. I was trying to get some feedback as to what type of physical activities the Citizen's academy would have. I was concerned about being able to hold the gun and fire it. I sometimes hold onto things only to have them drop out of my hand.

One of the other reasons for attending the Citizen's academy is so that I can say to my friends in LE that I have a better understanding of their job.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    I start my citizen's academy on Tuesday with the Sheriff's Office I'd like to work for.
    Good for you. I'd like to hear how things go for you if you wouldn't mind keeping us posted.

Good luck.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I want to go into LE. I don't. I'm a homemaker in my 40's with severe arthritis so even if I wanted to I couldn't. I was trying to get some feedback as to what type of physical activities the Citizen's academy would have. I was concerned about being able to hold the gun and fire it. I sometimes hold onto things only to have them drop out of my hand.

One of the other reasons for attending the Citizen's academy is so that I can say to my friends in LE that I have a better understanding of their job.

Gotcha. I admire that a lot.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    I was trying to get some feedback as to what type of physical activities the Citizen's academy would have. I was concerned about being able to hold the gun and fire it. I sometimes hold onto things only to have them drop out of my hand.
    I'm sure you won't be required to do anything you're not capable of. It's not a course that you pass or fail, it's entirely informational.

I'll let you know how mine goes.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Al Lowe is offline Rookie
    As much as I would REALLY love to take one of those, (Our city PD offers it a few times each year), I don't really need to do it. Having worked in Security for over a decade, I have worked with Police on numerous occasions, and I know and appreciate what they do.

For me, it would just be an excuse to hang out with them. And lets face it, without an excuse, civilians and LEOs don't enteract with each other enough as it is.

Yeah, I know, us "civilian" types can be a pain in the butt with our incessant questions about different things, LEO related. But I think, if LEOs could just put up with our questions for a little while, they would (the questions) go away. Sooner or later, you run out of LEO related questions. Then you just want to hear the "war" stories.

And what LEO doesn't like to tell those!
    Al Lowe
    Michael Moore is a big, fat, stupid white guy.

Well, I didn't make it in for the spring session. They had too many applicants (which is a good thing). There is another academy in the area but they haven't set any dates as of yet. Despite being nervous about it, I was really looking forward to it. I'm going to keep trying to get in but from what I can tell it may be awhile. I'm depressed and need hugs...or chocolate.
    I'm sorry to hear this... keep an eye on the other CPA class. My application was accepted and class begins Thursday, March 08, 2007 (it was pushed back one week due to the weather). I'll share my adventures with you, friend. BTW, I have no spare chocolate, but I have lots of hugs!

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I've been to them in two cities (usually you can attend both where you live and where you work). If the County Sheriff has them, then you may have up to four places that you can apply to.

As others have said, there's nothing to be frightened of - It's mostly lectures and demos.

One CPA did sponsor a "Range Day" where you could shoot a pistol, shotgun, or even a full-auto machine gun under extremely close supervision, if you so desired to shoot one, but that was optional. Unfortunately I missed "Range Day" because I had to go out of the country unexpectedly on business, and they wouldn't let me make it up in later sessions.

The other one I went to only allowed us to use the FATS machine (a simulator, like the big-screen shooting games you see in arcades but much more sophisticated, with scenarios). That CPA also sponsored a shoot/don't shoot day where you had a real gun with squib loads, and were thrust into scenarios as a police officer, with the actors being CPA students from past classes and supervised by actual FTO's - You had to make instant decisions to shoot/don't shoot, and was a real eye-opener.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 03-04-07 at 03:55 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information