Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Which attracts more break-ins: a house on a secluded lane or one on a busier street?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • A house on a secluded lane attracts more break-ins

11 36.67%
  • A house on a busier street attracts more break-ins

5 16.67%
  • No difference

14 46.67%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Which attracts more crime: House on secluded lane or house on busy street?

All else being equal, which is more likely to be broken into by criminals: a house on a secluded lane or a house on a street with more foot and car traffic? Do criminals prefer to break into houses on streets that they walk by on a regular basis, but which also have more police patrols, pedestrians, and cars passing by? Or do they prefer to break into houses on more isolated lanes, which they may not be so familiar with, but which have fewer police and potential witnesses passing by?

I'm thinking of moving into a house--for the first time in my adult life (I've always preferred to live in big apartment complexes, since they seem safer for a young, small single woman who refuses to own cars or firearms, for the same reason that sheep are safer in herds ). I'm choosing between a house on a secluded lane and another one a few blocks away, on a busier street. The neighborhood is a suburban area of a medium-sized city, with average crime levels--lots of burglaries, some robberies and rapes, and occasional murders, but no obvious drug dealers, prostitutes, or gang wars on the streets. I'd appreciate input from LEOs and non-LEOs alike. I usually ask abstract questions out of curiosity, but this one could actually affect my life.
    Last edited by Jenna; 02-04-07 at 01:16 PM.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I tend to go for the secluded lane type of place, as I hate people. So long as you don't do anything overt (like leaving empty computer boxes at the curb) then you're not likely to attract enough attention for someone to go out of their way to get your stuff. Not to mention additional traffic is MUCH more obvious.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.

The one without the big dogs; inside.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Actually I want a compound in Montana where my closest neighbor is 2 miles away. People always say that they will be reading about me in the papers in a couple of years. Can't figure that one out.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Get a dog. Or, get a Beware of Dog sign. That in itself might scare off burglars.

Also, motion lights work well.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    The house where Jenna lives. HAHAHA!!!!

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    The house where Jenna lives. HAHAHA!!!!
    Who would want to steal her Al Sharpton poster??
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    My uneducated guess: I think a criminal would blend in better in a busy area.

I live in a cul-de-sac at the end of a dead-end street. I know my neighbors and they know me. I would immediately recognize someone who doesn't belong here. If I lived on a busy street with lots of people going by, I wouldn't know who belonged and who didn't.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

carolina is offline Master Officer
    I don't have a professional opinion, but I've lived in both. The country or secluded areas are my favorite, and where I've mostly lived. Our house never got broken into when I lived out in a secluded area. I don't do this now, but where my ex and I used to live, I think we lived there 10 years and never locked the door unless we left for work.

He used to make me so madddd, he would never lock the door. I can't tell you how many times I woke up at night, or the next morning to find our door unlocked. But at the same time we were so far out that you could hear a car coming a mile a way. Everyone in the community knew everyone and a vehicle that didn't belong was very noticeable.

Where I live now is closer into town, neighbors and yes, I've had things stolen out of the yard. On several occasions, dang you bout have to lock everything down you're not using. But traffic is always different and no one pays attention to it. Even had my son's four wheeler stolen out of my fenced in back yard. Normally it was chained, but he started getting lazy with it. And it was gone.

Probably there is no difference, just the theif's experience with what he can get away with, quickly. I don't think people pay attention to the surroundings as much when it is expected to see various unknown people or vehicles around.

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Watch the show, It Takes a Thief on The Discovery Channel. Then secure whatever property you have properly.

"Stupid should hurt."

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    id think a busy street would get more attention from crooks, and help them blend in, but a secluded house would give them more privacy to do their thing without constant worry of being spotted... JMO...
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I said no difference. If a burglar wants to break into a house badly enough, he or she will do it no matter where it is...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    My uneducated guess: I think a criminal would blend in better in a busy area.

I live in a cul-de-sac at the end of a dead-end street. I know my neighbors and they know me. I would immediately recognize someone who doesn't belong here. If I lived on a busy street with lots of people going by, I wouldn't know who belonged and who didn't.
    i tend to go with this

its also been my experience that MOST of the time serious crime is not random (stranger on stranger). and in fact, most burglars/rapists/etc know their victim in some sort of capacity, and therefor tend to know what they are looking for and what they are going to do ahead of time. obviously this is not always the case, as i said, its just been my experience that there is generally some connection however slight. so just watch the company you keep, and get friendly with your neighbors so they keep an eye out for your house. and hopefully youll never fall into the random victim category.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Jenna, I have lived in a lot of different places. My experience has been, the more people around, the more crime. The busiest places were the worst, because someone could do a drug deal right in front of my house and be gone by foot or bike by the time I had a call in to 911. I live in a not-very-busy place now, and I know the "regulars" who walk their dogs by my house, and the usual exercise-walkers.

I'd say, take the quieter neighborhood and get to know your neighbors. Keep your eyes open and you will begin to recognize who belongs and who is unfamiliar.

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    YOUR house jenna...to find those pictures you mentioned before...LMAO

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by trooper_hopeful_51 View Post
    YOUR house jenna...to find those pictures you mentioned before...LMAO
    hahahahahahahaha
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.

House on secluded lane.

Your fields of fire are better.
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Thanks for all your advice (even the sarcastic ones that make me glad none of you know where I live ). And Chaplain Keppy, I'm honored that your first post here is in response to me!

To clarify, the two houses I'm choosing between are in the same neighborhood, just a few blocks away from each other. Some have mentioned the relative safety of rural areas where neighbors all know each other, but that's not an option for me; both houses I'm considering are both located just about 2 miles away from the city center, in a neighborhood of mostly transient renters who aren't likely to notice anything that happens at their neighbors' homes. The only difference is that one house is on a narrow lane that doesn't connect to any busy streets, and the other is on a busy street that connects to other busy streets.

Roses is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    The only difference is that one house is on a narrow lane that doesn't connect to any busy streets, and the other is on a busy street that connects to other busy streets.
    Considering you don't drive then it would probably be better for you to live on the busier street. Hopefully you won't have to walk to far.
    http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/1369/rosekdrosetransp9fk2eb.gif

A Smile

A smile cost nothing, but gives so much.

It enriches those who receive it,
    without making poorer those who give.
    It takes but a moment, but the memory
    of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he
    can get along without it,
    and none is so poor but that
    he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home,
    fosters goodwill in business,
    and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary,
    cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad,
    and it is nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed,
    or stolen, for it is something that is of no
    value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.
    Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile
    so much as he who has no more to give.

- author unknown

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgkelly View Post

The one without the big dogs; inside.

A city PD in my county handled a burglary to a nice, expensive residence. The house was a block away from a crappy housing development. The homeowner bought a German Shepard and actually sent it overseas to be perimeter trained. The homeowner was gone one night with the dog inside the house. The dog was shot in the face with a .22 though the mail slot in the front door. I agree with 10-42adam: if they want in, they're in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information