Shots fired at Salt Lake City mall
Gunman killed, police say; number of victims unknown
BREAKING NEWS
The Associated Press
Updated: 10:45 p.m. ET Feb 12, 2007

SALT LAKE CITY - A gunman entered a mall Monday night and shot several people before he was killed, police said.

"There have been multiple victims and there are some fatalities. ... I can't confirm the number," Salt Lake City police Detective Robin Snyder said in brief remarks outside Trolley Square.

"The suspect has been killed. He is no longer a threat," Snyder said.

The man entered the mall about 6:45 p.m. and began shooting randomly, she said.

The two-story mall, just southeast of downtown, is a refurbished old trolley barn, with a series of winding hallways and about 80 stores, including the Hard Rock Cafe and an Old Spaghetti Factory.

An antique-store owner, Barrett Dodds, 29, said he saw a man in a trench coat exchanging gunfire with a police officer outside a card store. The gunman was backed into a children's clothing store.

"I saw the cops go in the store. I saw the shooter go down," said Dodds, who watched from the second floor.

Barb McKeown, 60, of Washington, D.C., was in another antique shop when two frantic women ran in and reported gunshots.

"Then we heard shot after shot after shot loud, loud, loud," said McKeown, who believes she heard approximately 20.

She and three other people hid under a store staircase until it was safe to leave.

"We live in Washington, D.C. We're used to gunshots," said McKeown, wrapped in a blanket across the street. "I thought I was coming home to safety city."

Used to live there for nine years went there all the time; really nice place.