Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO

Damn Internet........Online.......C redit Cards

So Friday I am checking my checking account when I discover a fucked up charge on my Visa check card from Applebees. On 2/20 I ate at Applebees and the total was $24.80.....well they charged me $116.98. So onto the phone I go and find out that there computers went crazy and that they will take care of it.
    Today I log onto E-Bay and find out I have 419 items for sell when I really have none. i report it to E-Bay and really dont worry about it and then I realize that I have my E-Bay seller fees taking out of my checking account via the afore mentioned Visa card.
    My seller fees totaled $4,441.04..........I about shit.
    I got online with E-Bay and chatted with there people and they took care of it. I couldnt figure out how someone hacked into my account until the lady I was chatting with gave me some pointers.

Attention LEF members that E-Bay
    Last night I was checking my bulk folder on my Yahoo account when I noticed and e-mail from an E-Bay member regarding an item for sell. I opened the E-mail and clicked on the link for the E-Bay item. A E-Bay screen opened up and asked me to sign in. I signed in and the item wasnt for sell by me so I figured it was a screw up.
    Apparently the link I clicked on was a Phising E-mail and when I signed in I gave someone all my account info

Be careful on the Net
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

lynnz05 is offline Corporal
    That happened to my parents too. Someone was selling Super Bowl tickets on their account, they ended up having to change their name and everything after like 5 password changes
    What I say is my opinion, not my employers or that of my academic institution.

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    To verify a message from Ebay, log on to Ebay and go to "My Account", any message from Ebay will be there. I almost got stung a couple yearsa ago

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    I have no money and nothing to sell. No worries for me!
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    I get phishes all the time - ebay, credit card companies, local cable company, bank accounts, etc. They're getting better too.

When in doubt don't click a link in an email, and always be in doubt.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned

Related item

Speaking of phishing getting better....reminded me of this article. Make sure you have your home router secured. Not only does leaving a wireless one open leave you as an access point for neighbors, but leaving that default password on either kind...well, read the story.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...-20070216.html

Computer routers face hijack risk: study
    Last Updated: Friday, February 16, 2007 | 2:11 PM ET
    CBC News

Researchers at the University of Indiana and Symantec Corp. are warning that about half of internet users with a home router are vulnerable to having the hardware hijacked.

The researchers found that home router users are susceptible to attackers who could change settings on the devices to divert traffic without the owner's knowledge. For example, a person could enter the correct address of their bank's website into their web browser but they would be taken to a fake site designed to steal their banking information.

The attack appears to work on all major consumer versions of routers, such as those made by Linksys, Belkin, Netgear and D-Link, but a person would have to visit a specially crafted web page for it to work.

"A malicious web page has the disastrous ability to manipulate its visitors' home routers, changing its settings to enable spread of malware, target phishing attacks, or starve the visitor from critical security updates," the researchers wrote in their paper, Drive-By Pharming.

What sets the attack apart from others of its kind is that it does not rely on vulnerabilities in a web browser or other software, but instead lets malicious individuals attack at the network level.

The specially coded malicious web page could change the router's domain name system (DNS) settings, directing traffic wherever an attacker wishes.

The researchers cited surveys that showed half of home router users use the default password or no password on the device, and 95 per cent allow their web browsers to use JavaScript code.

"This means 47.5 per cent of all home users are effectively leaving themselves open to another attack allowing attackers to circumvent all known anti-phishing countermeasures," the researchers wrote.

The researchers recommended that people change their passwords on their routers and be selective about which Java applets, or programs, they allow to run on their computers.

The study, authored by Sid Stamm and Markus Jakobsson of Indiana University and Zulfikar Ramzan of Symantec, was published in December 2006 and is now being publicized by Symantec.

CopsRCool302 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    So Friday I am checking my checking account when I discover a fucked up charge on my Visa check card from Applebees. On 2/20 I ate at Applebees and the total was $24.80.....well they charged me $116.98. So onto the phone I go and find out that there computers went crazy and that they will take care of it.
    Today I log onto E-Bay and find out I have 419 items for sell when I really have none. i report it to E-Bay and really dont worry about it and then I realize that I have my E-Bay seller fees taking out of my checking account via the afore mentioned Visa card.
    My seller fees totaled $4,441.04..........I about shit.
    I got online with E-Bay and chatted with there people and they took care of it. I couldnt figure out how someone hacked into my account until the lady I was chatting with gave me some pointers.

Attention LEF members that E-Bay
    Last night I was checking my bulk folder on my Yahoo account when I noticed and e-mail from an E-Bay member regarding an item for sell. I opened the E-mail and clicked on the link for the E-Bay item. A E-Bay screen opened up and asked me to sign in. I signed in and the item wasnt for sell by me so I figured it was a screw up.
    Apparently the link I clicked on was a Phising E-mail and when I signed in I gave someone all my account info

Be careful on the Net

So, that new car you bought for me was not really from you?????

Michelle is offline Civilian
    Yikes!
    Yeah, I know how that feels. I actually had mine hacked into about a year ago. You should of seen all the awesome new Harley's I bought and all the brand new ones I sold for dirt cheap. None that I personally bid on nor my listings.

I even had a biker guy who called me and was just about ready to take a trip from Arizona to my house to pick up his Harley.
    Yes sir, I had a lot of bikers mad at me.

Ebay got it cleared up for me, and was able to trace the hacker.
    I never heard anymore about what happened to the person who hacked my account, but I was told by an Ebay rep to use upper and lower case letters along with numbers for my password.
    Last edited by Michelle; 02-20-07 at 09:23 PM.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Yep, I've done the Ebay sign in on a phishing site once myself. Fortunately I realized a minute later and requested a password change before the person could use my account. You'd think the internet would be better regulated, but other countries have no interest in keeping illegal activity off the net. Here you get sued for downloading a song, but in Russia you can scam the hell out of people worldwide and get off completely.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    Yikes!
    but I was told by an Ebay rep to use upper and lower case letters along with numbers for my password.
    When we were able to log into work computers with just a name/password we had to use upper/lower/numbers and special characters (@#$% etc). For my more important accounts, such as online banking, anything requiring a money transfer or containing sensitive information I use the same format...it makes it harder to hack..i hope.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Michelle is offline Civilian
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    When we were able to log into work computers with just a name/password we had to use upper/lower/numbers and special characters (@#$% etc). For my more important accounts, such as online banking, anything requiring a money transfer or containing sensitive information I use the same format...it makes it harder to hack..i hope.
    Me too!
    For 6 years I had a word and 3 easy numbers. Worked for 6 years!

After the Ebay hacking and a couple of strange emails about other online accounts I have, I changed every single PW I could.

Now 2 of my accounts ask for a PW and a site key - which would be a good idea for Ebay to have.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    I received a letter from a collection agency once saying that I owed Ebay $53. Since I knew I didn't I called them and they gave me the username registered. It wasn't even mine, so I wonder how in the hell they got my name and address. It was even my full name, which I never use. Haven't heard more about it though.
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Thread Information