Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Should the driver face more then DUI charges?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - DUI and suspended license is enough.

0 0%
  • Yes - DUI and Hit and Run charges, but not assault.

1 2.50%
  • Yes - DUI, Hit and Run AND Assault with a Deadly Weapon

5 12.50%
  • Yes - Stack all those charges and take her baby into protective custody.

34 85.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

Appropriately Charged?

I'm curious to see how the DA charges this, especially after today's story - what do you think?

Motorist's rampage a chilling reminder

February 28, 2007

In our cars, we're insulated from our fellow motorists and their problems. If we presume to know them, it's by the model of car they drive, or the stickers they put on their windows.

Sometimes we'll catch a fleeting profile of their faces as they pass. Other times, all we see is the ominous glare of headlights.

So it was with the white Cadillac Eldorado that came barreling out of the dark last month to terrorize one car after another on Carmel Mountain Road.

Who could know what its driver was thinking?

The Aquinos certainly didn't.

They were in their black Honda Civic that Sunday evening, driving slowly in the right lane. They'd passed a yellow sign that read “Share the Road” when Armando Aquino, who was behind the wheel, felt his car jolt ahead and pick up speed.
    As the speedometer climbed to 60, he kept pushing on the brake, but nothing happened.“I have no control! We have no brakes!” he shouted to his wife.

He hadn't seen the Cadillac roaring up from behind him, didn't know it was pushing his little car forward like a toy.

Ligaya Aquino looked ahead and saw cars stopped at an intersection. She braced for the impact. “Oh, my God!' she cried. “Oh, my God! We will die!”

They didn't die. Armando steered into the curb, where, after a long, noisy grind, his car came to a rest. Witnesses say the Cadillac backed up and rammed it again. Thrown under the dashboard, Ligaya waited trembling for what might be next.

But the Cadillac was done with them. It veered around their smashed-up car and roared away.

Ahead, waiting on the light, was a white Civic. Inside, Kathy Davis was staring into her rearview mirror, watching the Aquinos' car approach with mounting fear. Her 12-year-old daughter was at her side.

Davis was boxed in. She watched the Aquinos' car throw off smoke and sparks and slam to a stop. She hadn't even seen the Cadillac until it popped out from behind the black car and accelerated. She thought, “It's coming for us.”

The signal changed. The cars moved slowly into the intersection. Davis tried to maneuver between them, but the Cadillac was already on top of her.

It rammed Davis' car, pushing it a couple of hundred feet.

A red Toyota Tacoma pickup waited at the next intersection.

Joshua and Emily Merchant were inside. Joshua saw the Cadillac barreling up behind them a second before it hit. The next thing he knew, his truck was rolling over. “We wound up upside down, hanging by our seat belts, wondering what had happened.”

After the Merchants were helped out of their truck, they hugged and said a prayer for the Cadillac's driver, unconscious behind the wheel of a car now half its former size.

It was weeks before the Aquinos, Davis and the Merchants learned what was behind the events of that evening.

The Cadillac had been driven by a 23-year-old woman. She told police officers she'd had a fight with her boyfriend and had drunk five or six beers on top of some anti-nausea medicine. She was pregnant. He wanted to break up.

She had gone for a drive to clear her head, she said. Witnesses described her as agitated and angry. I tried to talk to her, leaving a phone message and a business card in her door, but never heard back.

Whatever she was seeking – be it clearness of mind or an outlet for her anger – her rampage is a vivid reminder of something we'd like to forget: We are all exposed, even when we're insulated in our cars. Exposed to others whose intentions we cannot know, and to life's sheer randomness.

In one car was a young woman whose dreams of love and family were shattering. All around her were people who had found the happiness that was eluding her.

The Merchants are practically newlyweds, with wedding pictures hanging next to the fireplace in their condo. They were returning from their weekly shopping trip, with the groceries loaded in the truck bed.

Davis and her daughter were returning from watching her son play in a baseball tournament. Her husband is the coach. Father and son rushed to the scene.

The Aquinos, married 29 years, were driving home from a prayer meeting at Ligaya's mother's house. Their three grown children were soon at their side.

Four vehicles were totaled, but everyone walked away from the hospital without serious injury. The Cadillac's driver may have been the luckiest of all. Though a police detective built a case for three counts of assault with a deadly weapon, it's possible she'll be charged only with drunken driving.

Because she's pregnant, she could walk away without jail time.

It may just seem like a bad dream by then, though Kathy Davis told me, “I probably won't ever get that vision out of my head, with those white headlights bearing down on us.”
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    My vote:

Yes - Stack all those charges and take her baby into protective custody.
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Stack and take the kid.
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    stack'em
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I agree.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What respect for the life of her unborn child, her victiims, or even for her own life did she show in the rampage? None.

What mercy should be meted by the courts for any human being who fails the 'self control' test so miserably that she would display such rampant stupidity and complete disregard for human life? None.

Should any mercy be shown by the honorable court, it should be for the child who's mother has demonstrated an utter irresponsibility, capacity for destructive malice, and gross criminal negligence. The mother is obviously deprived of any conscionable human sensability. The mercy granted that child should be to be removed from the care of someone so terribly unstable.

Charge her, try her, and convict her to the fullest extent of the law. Rescue the child (and any other which she may have) from her idiocy.

Not sure how this particular State's laws work, here in Louisiana, I'd go with multiple counts of Vehicular Negligent Injuring, DWI, Reckless Operation, multiple counts of Aggravated Battery, and Felony Hit and Run.
    Last edited by countybear; 02-28-07 at 05:23 PM.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    She sounds like another turd floating around in a shallow gene pool.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Another story that shows why cars should be banned!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Jenna, from the First Lady of LEF to the Most Misunderstood Member - Knock it off. It wasn't even funny the first time.

+1 to the idea of taking the kid and throwing away the key. It's no wonder her boyfriend wanted to break up.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

chris2001 is offline Captain
    I would also think about charging two counts of child endangerment. One for the unborn child and another for the 12 year old that was in one of the vehicles that was crashed into. Then you stack the assault charges. And after she has her kid you take the kid into custody and away from her .
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

rob84 is offline Did you press the power button?
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Stack em high, no child for her.

www.twitter.com/RobKimble1984
    www.facebook.com/robkimble

Quote Originally Posted by chris2001 View Post
    I would also think about charging two counts of child endangerment. One for the unborn child and another for the 12 year old that was in one of the vehicles that was crashed into. Then you stack the assault charges. And after she has her kid you take the kid into custody and away from her .
    Good thinking!

I will update this thread when I find out what charges go forward.

NavLaw is offline Officer First Class
    Throw the book at her.
    If you can't do it from a boat. Do you really want to do it?

fast1elk is offline Rookie
    I agree stackem up.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Charge her with everything from equipment violations to Attempted Murder, take the kid and let her rot.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    With the exception of LEF's Most Misunderstood Member, I agree with everyone. Now, how many of you would agree with me when I say she will receive, if anything, a slap on the wrist?

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Charge her with the the lot.

I guess I'm not seeing where the state needs to be involved beyond arranging custody with the father or other family member for the baby. She'll be in prison so why would protective custody be necessary?

If the father refuses to raise the kid as well as both sets of grandparents I can see it, but why before? If I'm mistaken about what's meant by protective custody I apologize. Reserving my vote for the moment until someone will explain the working of the system in this respect, but at present I'm for the 3rd option.

Protective custody is basically the State becoming guardian until the child can be placed with a responsible party. That can be the father or grandparents, but not until they were examined first.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    I'll grudgingly go along with it, but I have more questions. What's involved in these examinations and how long do they take?

Would the case be the same if they were married? Or if she'd died in her rampage, but the baby had survived - would the father be scrutinized then?

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid_Ohio_Po View Post
    Charge her with everything from equipment violations to Attempted Murder, take the kid and let her rot.
    I think I would be tempted to throw in hate Crimes violation since all the vehicles she struck were Japanese

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information