Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Buttercup is online now Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Something to Think About

I read this on another site and asked for permission to re-post it here. I realize there's no one here who doesn't support LE, but perhaps you can pass it on to someone who needs to read it.

I had the sad misfortune of going to Deputy Brandy Winfield's funeral. I do not know Deputy Winfield or his family, yet we have a strong connection. I am a police officer's wife. Everyday, I kiss my husband goodbye and hope it's not the last. Everyday, my small children give their daddy five kisses on the cheek and one on the forehead.

I don't know if they know all of the dangers of daddy's job, but they know the importance of their goodbye ritual. I have received phone calls about my husband being involved in an injury accident and incidents where he has been injured. I have received phone calls from friends whose husbands have been seriously injured or involved in a shooting. I have exchanged phone calls with other "cop" wives because we "just didn't have a good feeling" and our anxiety and fear is high. I have sat and filled out the critical incident book with my husband to plan his funeral. What songs, where, who would be pall bearers?

I have made my husband dinner at eleven o'clock at night because he spent his dinner money on a hungry child who has been removed from their home. I have stayed up until 4 am because he was so distraught over a violent murder or the fact that he was with someone who died completely alone and was discovered three weeks later. I have gone to many functions alone because he serves his community proudly. We have spent holidays and special occasions without him. This is the life of a law enforcement officer's family. We accept it as part of the calling of our spouses and part of our lives. We proudly support our husbands. We take care of them and let them know how much we love them.

But I wonder, does our community support our officers? I pick up the paper or watch the news and it seems they are quick to point out how many officers have had complaints made on them, investigations that are occurring for misconduct, excessive force and you name it. Yet, it is never published how many compliments that officer has had, or how many of those issues have been unfounded. I am asking you to think about when was the last time you thanked a law enforcement officer? That officer is a person. They are a daddy, mommy, husband, wife, son, daughter, brother, sister, or friend. Someone deeply loves that person. Everyday they put their uniform on and proudly walk out the door to protect and serve their community without thought to the risk they may be taking.

Before you criticize a police officer, think about what they are doing to keep you safe. Think about the ultimate duty they are doing for the community you live in. And most of all, when you see an officer, say "thank you!"

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I read this on the other site. I was going to ask permission to copy it to show to the people in my community. Seems some don't think they should remember a fallen officer because they didn't know him. It makes me so angry and disgusted that they refused to participate in remembering him.

I was thinking of going back to those folks and make them read it but I'm so angry with them I might do something I shouldn't. I'll move on and take it to people who care and have a shred of humanity in them.

Thanks for posting it. Sorry for the rant.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Thanks for sharing, B-cups! I got something in law enforcement you can support right here!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

spcwes is offline Wookie!!!!
    Verified LEO
    That was a good read and so true. Thanks for the post.
    STOP RESISTING!!!!

For he is God's servant to do you good, but if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions of my Agency or my Agency Heads.

Thread Information