Welcome to the APBWeb.
    WyomingSunrise is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O

A question of opinion

I’m sitting in my office, working away with the radio on, ( I always have the radio on, background noise) not really paying attention, when I hear “3 year old clutching her teddy bear.”. .”He raped her so hard she bled on the mattress”.. “Now waits to [find out his sentence]”. My first thought is revulsion a stream of horribly painful, deadly sentences he should be subjected to.. my second is that I’m completely appalled that I just heard such a horrible, vivid thing, and that I’m wondering if the general population should be subject to that kind of an image?
    I joined this forum because I feel comfortable and “safe” with the law enforcement community. I work with a pretty great group of guys and gal here and I feel that I have more in common with them than I do with most other people in the community. Chalk it up to like-mindedness and dealing with similar situations at work (ugliness). I feel that I can’t talk about my job, work etc. for a few reasons but mainly because most people don’t want to know, and I don’t think they should have to hear about how horrible, cruel, and mean people can be to one another. And sometimes you just can’t put into words how one feels after you deal with that stuff day in and day out. I could be wrong, but that’s how I feel.
    I think people shouldn’t be oblivious to the fact that there’s a lot of bad stuff in the world. But should the average person have to be subjected to some of the worst images out there?. (I remember when you’d never see an actual dead body on the news, or things were not so “open”) I’m thinking there should be a balance..the truth, versus the details. I am wondering on your opinion?

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    What gets me is how the news will show a body, show bloody garments, talk in detail about how the victim was abducted and brutalized, but then bleep the accused when he shouts something at the camera.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I think half the problem is people don't hear details, and they don't deal with death, unless it's to indulge in their own distress.

Believe it or not, people used to talk about tragedy. That's how you taught your kids to be safe. It's what has inspired countless fairy tales...most of them are rather grim.

The only way you can fight an enemy, is to know what they are capable of doing.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.

And they should know what we are capable of doing.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

dapples is offline Swamp Kitty
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    When we are "exposed" to violence alot, it numbs us after a while....desensitizes(sp) us. Hardens us. Yes we should be aware and informed, but do we/media/etc need to "draw a line" to keep us "human"?

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by dapples View Post
    When we are "exposed" to violence alot, it numbs us after a while....desensitizes(sp) us. Hardens us. Yes we should be aware and informed, but do we/media/etc need to "draw a line" to keep us "human"?

Exactly. History shows the exact opposite of what we want to believe is true. We want to believe that as "human"s that we will see and hear such tragedy that we will band together against the things that we feel are in"human"e. However, what we want to believe and the reality are vastly different. What Dapples said is the truth of things. Look at our kids these days. We have subjected them to violence everytime they turn on the TV. Showing them, exposing them to "help them see" the bad things so they won't do it. Instead, those kids become de-sensitized and uncaring. These kids no longer create images in their mind that are far more effective deterrents. Now, they can see all the world has to offer in pain and suffering when they turn on their Xbox. Ah, how civilized and wise we have become.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    But kids are only getting one side of the story. When they crash a car or kill someone in a video game they just start over. I don't think they get the empathy side of the equation.

That being said, I've always taken great care with what my son is allowed to watch on tv, and the video games he plays. When something comes up that troubles me, then we talk about it together.

And yes SgtKelly....we need to show more true outrage at some of what happens in this world. Either that, or bring back the stocks.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    The media establishment in NYC, ATL & LAX doesn't care as long as it meets 2 criteria: (1) does it sell? and (2) does it fit our political agenda? Letters to them don't do much good. Money first, politix next, in one word 'arrogant'.

If you want to get some results, go after the money, the advertisers and sponsors for that program. Tell them you are not going to buy or use their product bercause you are disgusted that they sponsor this kind of drivel, etc........Tell them you have a wide circle of friends who agree, and they all have a wider circle of friends.... Send two letters; one to the company CEO and another to the VP for Marketing. Address them by name, easy to find on the web, and ask for a reply.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

foxxymomma50 is offline Master Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    I think half the problem is people don't hear details, and they don't deal with death, unless it's to indulge in their own distress.

Believe it or not, people used to talk about tragedy. That's how you taught your kids to be safe. It's what has inspired countless fairy tales...most of them are rather grim.

I completely agree with you on this! People need to see how it really is instead pretending that bad things dont happen to real people. That is what we do day in and day out...help people that deserve it and put the heartless bastards who hurt little 3 yr olds behind bars for life! Hopefully he gets every ass pounding behind bars he deserves!
    Last edited by foxxymomma50; 03-08-07 at 12:32 AM.
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious."

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    I heard the same radio report, and while I was surprised to hear it, I'm glad they used those words. People need to understand the kind of evil that really exists in this world.

The reason people (especially kids) are so desensitized to violence is because the only violence they see is the fake stuff. When you kill cops and civilians on Grand Theft Auto for eight hours straight, but then turn on the news and they gloss over the horrible things that real people really do to each other, you don't understand that violence has consequences.

I think kids should see and hear about real violence when it happens, and what it does to people and families. That way they'll think before they decide to settle a schoolyard dispute with a gun.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Media caters to ratings, not truth.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    When people see things as beautiful,
    ugliness is created.
    When people see things as good,
    evil is created.

Being and non-being produce each other.
    Difficult and easy complement each other.
    Long and short define each other.
    High and low oppose each other.
    Fore and aft follow each other.

Therefore the Master
    can act without doing anything
    and teach without saying a word.
    Things come her way and she does not stop them;
    things leave and she lets them go.
    She has without possessing,
    and acts without any expectations.
    When her work is done, she take no credit.
    That is why it will last forever.

-Tao Te Ching, Ch. 2
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

BabyGirl is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by WyomingSunrise View Post
    I’m sitting in my office, working away with the radio on, ( I always have the radio on, background noise) not really paying attention, when I hear “3 year old clutching her teddy bear.”. .”He raped her so hard she bled on the mattress”.. “Now waits to [find out his sentence]”. My first thought is revulsion a stream of horribly painful, deadly sentences he should be subjected to.. my second is that I’m completely appalled that I just heard such a horrible, vivid thing, and that I’m wondering if the general population should be subject to that kind of an image?
    I joined this forum because I feel comfortable and “safe” with the law enforcement community. I work with a pretty great group of guys and gal here and I feel that I have more in common with them than I do with most other people in the community. Chalk it up to like-mindedness and dealing with similar situations at work (ugliness). I feel that I can’t talk about my job, work etc. for a few reasons but mainly because most people don’t want to know, and I don’t think they should have to hear about how horrible, cruel, and mean people can be to one another. And sometimes you just can’t put into words how one feels after you deal with that stuff day in and day out. I could be wrong, but that’s how I feel.
    I think people shouldn’t be oblivious to the fact that there’s a lot of bad stuff in the world. But should the average person have to be subjected to some of the worst images out there?. (I remember when you’d never see an actual dead body on the news, or things were not so “open”) I’m thinking there should be a balance..the truth, versus the details. I am wondering on your opinion?
    Just my two cents, but there are many, many sick people out there and people should always be on the defensive. Alot of sick people who murder others act friendly to people to get their defenses down,then they do what ever sick thing they want to do to them. I trust zero strangers, and thats from strange men trying to snatch me two different times when I was a teenager. I will never let a stranger get near me ever.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bull3032 View Post
    There is no grand illusionistic conspiracy where you pull back the drapes and there's the wizard saying, "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." .
    i put on my robe and wizard hat...lol, that will always crack me up
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

DetectiveSgtBeall is offline Truck load of Kittens can clear alot of land mines
    Its always been my opinion the Media will run the story with or without my help..

I would much rather give them the version I want told than the one they will print or show without my input.

As far as images go.. The media needs to remember... thats is someones daughter, son , mother , or father laying there and the sensitivity of the graphic needs to be weighed against the effect it will have on the truth. I you dont need the graphic to tell the public the story than why show it...

I think because as a society were gore-hungry but at the same time dont want to believe such images could possibly exist. I also think as human beings we are drawn to the horrific images because it reminds us that we are ok.. or at least better shape than that guy..

Thread Information