Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO

Going to Disney next month

We are taking our daughter to Disney World in Orlando for a week next month. I have not been there since 1988 so I am sure it is a lot different now. We bought a guide book to help, however the book is huge and boring. Anyone been there recently and have any tips or recommendations? I want to know if there is something that we should not miss.
    Thanks!
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

So you know you want to take me with!

Retmilleo909 is offline Banned
    >>I want to know if there is something that we should not miss.<<

Don't miss going by your bank before you head for Orlando.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Really what about the court order?

A Missouri judge gave a man accused of sexually assaulting three children permission to visit Walt Disney World, then reversed his decision, according to published reports.

Frank D. Beans, 46, got court approval last month to visit Florida on a two-week vacation.

When he provided the court clerk with his specific itinerary earlier this week, Associate Judge R. Craig Sahlstrom authorized Beans to spend three days of his trip at the theme park, according to a story in Thursday's edition of the Chicago Sun-Times.

Bean's attorney, Michael Haughan, defended the trip.

"He is going with his family (to Florida), and he is presumed innocent," Haughan said.

Sahlstrom did not immediately return a message left Thursday at the courthouse for him. Through an assistant, the judge earlier told the Chicago Sun-Times he could not comment on the pending case.

But during a Thursday hearing, Sahlstrom said he was unaware Beans planned on going to Disney World. He told Haughan to contact Beans, who already had left on his trip, and tell him to not go to the theme park, the Sun-Times and Rockford Register Star reported.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Verified LEO
    So far you guys are no help!
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro56 View Post
    Really what about the court order?

A Missouri judge gave a man accused of sexually assaulting three children permission to visit Walt Disney World, then reversed his decision, according to published reports.

Frank D. Beans, 46, got court approval last month to visit Florida on a two-week vacation.

When he provided the court clerk with his specific itinerary earlier this week, Associate Judge R. Craig Sahlstrom authorized Beans to spend three days of his trip at the theme park, according to a story in Thursday's edition of the Chicago Sun-Times.

Bean's attorney, Michael Haughan, defended the trip.

"He is going with his family (to Florida), and he is presumed innocent," Haughan said.

Sahlstrom did not immediately return a message left Thursday at the courthouse for him. Through an assistant, the judge earlier told the Chicago Sun-Times he could not comment on the pending case.

But during a Thursday hearing, Sahlstrom said he was unaware Beans planned on going to Disney World. He told Haughan to contact Beans, who already had left on his trip, and tell him to not go to the theme park, the Sun-Times and Rockford Register Star reported.
    Lucky for me, my last name is not Beans and I am only 30. Unless it is a typo!

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by beans43 View Post
    So far you guys are no help!
    and you are surprised....because
    Last edited by Resident Smart Ass; 03-11-07 at 08:20 PM.
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

I haven't been since 2000 so undoubtedly things have changed since then too. I know when we went MGM and Epcot were really cool but for a younger crowd it would probably be pretty boring as its geared towards older. The Magic Kingdom and the Animal Kingdom are more towards little ones.

Ask Cntry, he should know, he used to work there.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    How old is the kiddo? We were there a few months ago, and the we avoided the kiddie rides. They've redone Pirates of the Carribean to go along with the movie better, so if she's seen the movies she'll like that. As un-PC as it is, the Splash Mountain ride (themed after Song of the South) was cute and Thunder Canyon was actually pretty good for a roller coaster.

Big tip here though, bring your own water in the park. For whatever reason the Magic Kingdom water fountain stuff was horrible and they scalp you on water bottles at concession stands. If you can, I'd say get a sport water bottle with a filter. Epcot water was fine, though.

Epcot might be boring for the kids, but we enjoyed it more. Most of the International Pavillions serve beer.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I confess, I love DisneyWorld and go every other year or so. When a dozen or so family members and I went, my nephews (who were 5 and 7 at the time) really enjoyed the "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" and the 3D Muppet show attractions at Disney-MGM, and they loved almost everything about the Magic Kingdom. The Magic Kingdom also has a section for younger children, I think that the theme changes annually but it's always "Mickey's" something or other. You might want to catch the midday parades and if she can stay awake long enough, stay for the fireworks over the Cinderella castle and the SpectroMagic parade.

When we were at Animal Kingdom, the boys liked the Lion King show and a couple of the rides there. If you can do a character meal, she'd probably like that. We went to a character breakfast in Animal Kingdom, and there were quite a few characters there. The best character meal is "Cinderella's Royal Table" breakfast in the Magic Kingdom, but you have to reserve space almost a year in advance. It's worth checking though, to see if there have been cancellations. That's the only meal where all of the characters are present.

Through luck, serendipity, or whatever....I was approached and asked if there were 7 members of our group who wanted to ride on the Mickey Mouse float in the "Mickey's Jingle Jammin' Jungle" Animal Kingdom parade (we went in December, so it was a Christmas theme). They gave us costumes, took pictures, and then gave each of us a disposable camera to use while we were on the float. It was awesome.

Oh, and if she has a Disney princess costume, you might want to let her wear it whenever she wants to.

Jim1348 is online now Rookie
    Verified LEO
    I just took my wife and two sons there a month ago. If I knew then what I know now, I would spend one day at each Disney Park:

-Magic Kingdom

-Animal Kingdom

-MGM

-Epcot

One more day at Space Coast with a stop at the police museum.

One day at Downtown Disney and looking around town.

One day at Universal Studios.

We did the four parks and Space coast, but we did not make it to the police museum, Downtown Disney, or Universal. That had some deal with Dream Pass or something that allowed us to by pass the lines at Epcot. I think they are giving stuff like that away all year. It was quite handy. I think they have another arrangement where you get a time to return and go on the ride without waiting in lines. We will probably visit the area again next year and visit Universal a couple of days or so, Downtown Disney, and possibly another park that is within an hour or two drive. I brought my GPS from home in the carry-on bag and it was invaluable for finding things. I don't know if you are flying or not, but in retrospect we wished we had packed a lap-top computer so we could book our seats on-line for the airline return trip. As it turned out, I Nexteled a friend back home that did it for us on-line. I suspect that you and your fellow travelers with have cell phones or something to stay in touch. I think they are good to bring along in case part of the group goes one way and the rest go another way even if it is just for a few minutes. We didn't spend extra for Park Hopper and we found plenty to do at each place each day, but my wife got bored at Animal Kingdom. Depending on you and your daughters interests maybe you would want to leave one day un-planned at the end of the week to return to whichever park you liked best. Our traveling home day allowed us a couple of hours to snoop on the way back to the airport. I stopped at their Bass Pro Shop since we don't have one in Minnesota yet. And, of course, the women like to shop so plan ahead for that. As large as all of the parks are, sometimes it seemed like we just went from one Disney Store to another. We brought food with us for lunch most days, so that helped keep the costs down a little bit. Also, as strange as this may sound, my family liked the "upscale" McDonalds Restaurant we stopped at. I think there are several there and each has a theme. One is motorcycle and one is space or whatever. To me it seemed like a cross between a Chuck E Cheese and a McDonalds. Anyway, they had a few more selections of food and some arcade games. This was not the one in Downtown Disney, but closer to the airport if I recall correctly. My wife had borrowed a Minnie Mickey book from the neighbor, but I am not sure how much it helped us. It did have some good tips on must see things at each park and there might be certain days that are better to visit certain parks because of crowds or parades or whatever. There probably are even websites devoted to visiting the parks for all I know. If there are any certain rides that you have to get on it might be worthy of a telephone call or online visit. We didn't run in to much that was closed, but there was a go-kart track that was closed and I am sure that would have been a disappointment to some visitors.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    How old is the kiddo? We were there a few months ago, and the we avoided the kiddie rides. They've redone Pirates of the Carribean to go along with the movie better, so if she's seen the movies she'll like that. As un-PC as it is, the Splash Mountain ride (themed after Song of the South) was cute and Thunder Canyon was actually pretty good for a roller coaster.

Big tip here though, bring your own water in the park. For whatever reason the Magic Kingdom water fountain stuff was horrible and they scalp you on water bottles at concession stands. If you can, I'd say get a sport water bottle with a filter. Epcot water was fine, though.

Epcot might be boring for the kids, but we enjoyed it more. Most of the International Pavillions serve beer.
    Good point about the water. And yes, Splash Mountain is great. Did you know that Disney will not release "Song of the South" again? I wanted to get it as a gift and ended up finding it on VHS on ebay.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    The Fast Pass let's you come back at a later time, and there is a special line....it's not always straight to the front, but it's a good way to not get stuck in the long ones. There's a kiosk where you run your ticket thru, and it gives you a pass with the time frame - usually 1 to two hours.

I haven't been to Disney World in ages, but I remember a couple things at Epcot that were kid friendly. I think one was Inside Bobby's Body?

If you plan on eating in the park, eat early - around 11 and you'll miss the rush...also...if you are willing to skip the parades, it's a great time to get on some of the more popular rides.

Are you going to stay at one of the Disney hotels? If so, it's much easier to take a mid-day break at the hotel to rest and refresh. Then you can go back later when the crowds start to thin out.

Have fun!!!!! We go to Disneyland every year - I never get tired of the place!
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Never been to Disney World or Land..Anyone care to take me there?
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Verified LEO
    Thanks everyone for your tips. We are not staying on the resort. We rented a house in Kissimmee and will do Disney for four of the 7 days we will be there. My daughter is almost 4. My in laws are coming so we will have them babysit once in a while. I know I want to go to Epcot and drink around the world!

DetectiveSgtBeall is offline Truck load of Kittens can clear alot of land mines
    I highly suggest you stay at one of Disney's resorts. This will allow you to take a shuttle bus to any of the theme parks of your choice for free. Thats free transportation that is.

Get a Hopper Pass for the theme parks to be used on any day you want to go for any park you want to go to. Dont get tickets that are married to a particular day.

Once at the resort pay the $14.00 for the travel cup. This allows you to get drinks for free while you are satying at that resort. The adverage drink $2.00; the cup will have paid for it's self in two days. The rest of your drinks will be on the house.

If you are not staying in a resort but in a private hotel, then I suggest you park at DOWNTOWN DISNEY which is the name of the town. From there you can jump on any buss that will take you to your theme park for free. You wont have to pay for parking and you wont have to worry about directions.

BONUS: If you stay at the Resort you can buy things at the theme park and they will deliver the item to your resort mailbox at no cost. That means you dont have to carry the item all day and you can pick the item up when you return to your resort.

DINING thats a Must for Kids.

CAFE' Mickey
    Grand Floridian Hotel
    Winnie the Pooh Cafe.

FIREWORKS EVRYNIGHT OVER THE CASTLE.

jcobb is offline Rookie
    Animal Kingdom was our favorite of all the Disney Parks last year. Theres a new ride called Expedition Everest. Very well worth the wait if you like roller coasters.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    1988 was about the time I was there. Not sure how different the park is, but if the inner circle food court is still around I'd say hit some rides then pick-and-graze lightly through there. Its all about exploring to my mind, don't get too into any one aspect. If it wasn't for others drawing me away I'd still be touring the...I think it was called "The World Of Tomorrow Pavilion" which featured what the world of 1950 thought the 1980s would be like.

Keep moving, guess that's my advise.

Thread Information