Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.

Exclamation Chest Presses, Not Breaths, Help CPR

By MARILYNN MARCHIONE
    AP Medical Writer
    The Associated Press
    Updated: 10:42 a.m. ET March 16, 2007

Chest compression _ not mouth-to-mouth resuscitation _ seems to be the key in helping someone recover from cardiac arrest, according to new research that further bolsters advice from heart experts.

A study in Japan showed that people were more likely to recover without brain damage if rescuers focused on chest compressions rather than rescue breaths, and some experts advised dropping the mouth-to-mouth part of CPR altogether. The study was published in Friday's issue of the medical journal The Lancet.

More than a year ago, the American Heart Association revised CPR guidelines to put more emphasis on chest presses, urging 30 instead of 15 for every two breaths given. Stopping chest compressions to blow air into the lungs of someone who is unresponsive detracts from the more important task of keeping blood moving to provide oxygen and nourishment to the brain and heart.

Another big advantage to dropping the rescue breaths: It could make bystanders more willing to provide CPR in the first place. Many are unwilling to do the mouth-to-mouth part and become flummoxed and fearful of getting the ratio right in an emergency.

Sudden cardiac arrest _ when the heart suddenly stops beating _ can occur after a heart attack or as a result of electrocution or near-drowning. It's most often caused by an abnormal heart rhythm. The person experiencing it collapses, is unresponsive to gentle shaking and stops normal breathing.

In the new study, researchers led by Dr Ken Nagao of Surugadai Nihon University Hospital in Tokyo analyzed 4,068 adult patients who had cardiac arrest witnessed by bystanders. Of those, 439 received chest compressions only from bystanders, and 712 received conventional CPR _ compressions and breaths.

Any CPR attempt improved survival odds. However, 22 percent of those who received just chest compressions survived with good neurological function compared with only 10 percent of those who received combination CPR.

"Eliminating the need for mouth-to-mouth ventilation will dramatically increase the occurrence of bystander-initiated resuscitation efforts and will increase survival," Dr. Gordon Ewy, a cardiologist at the University of Arizona College of Medicine in Tucson, writes in an accompanying editorial.

A big caveat: The combination CPR in the Japanese study was given according to the old guidelines of 15 presses for every two breaths, not the 30 presses recommended now.

The American Heart Association said the study supports a focus on chest presses, but the association does not expect its advice to change. It recommends that bystanders provide compression-only CPR if they are "unwilling or unable" to do mouth-to-mouth breathing at the same time and for emergency dispatchers to give instructions on that.

The association wants to see survival results from programs that use compression-only CPR for cardiac arrest.

"It is important to note that victims of cardiac arrest from non-cardiac causes, like near-drowning or electrocution, and almost all victims of pediatric cardiac arrest benefit from a combination of rescue breathing and chest compressions," a heart association statement says.

More than 300,000 Americans die from cardiac arrest each year. About 75 percent to 80 percent of all cardiac arrests outside a hospital happen at home, and effective CPR can double a victim's chance of survival.

Roughly 9 out of 10 cardiac arrest victims die before they get to the hospital partly because they don't get CPR.

On the Net:

Lancet article: http://tinyurl.com/2fup97

American Heart Association: http://www.americanheart.org
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Thanks for posting. As a CPR instructor, I am aware that people are usually unwilling to give breaths unless they are close to the victim relationship wise.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy2202 View Post
    Thanks for posting. As a CPR instructor, I am aware that people are usually unwilling to give breaths unless they are close to the victim relationship wise.
    I won't.

The only exception would be a family member or a close friend, or maybe a child.

Other than that, without a barrier I won't do mouth to mouth.

That's why I have one of those crappy pocket, foldable type barriers I can keep in my wallet. It's not the best, but it's something.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

JohnnyReb is offline Officer First Class
    I refuse to unless its a family member (I will make an exception for LEOs and COs).
    Don't ask if you don't want a honest answer!!!

TXCOP is offline Officer First Class
    Yea, I just did the AED heartsaver course last week. That's 4 hours I'll never get back. The guy on the video makes you want to eat a bullet.
    "Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you.
    He is training with minimum food or water, in austere conditions, day and night.
    The only thing clean on him is his weapon.
    He doesn't worry about what workout to do---his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
    The True Believer doesn't care "how hard it is"; he knows he either wins or he dies.
    He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home.
    He knows only the Cause.
    Now, who wants to quit?"

"I am only one, but I am one. I can not do everything, but I can do something. And because I can not do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do I should do. And what I should do, by the Grace of God, I will do."

Edward Everett Hale

213th is online now Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy2202 View Post
    As an EMT, in Alaska I have a duty to render help. This is why I always have my medical kit in my car, along with my O2 tank, which has all the masks to include a Bag-Valve Mask, which means you don't have to put your mouth on anything, just squeeze the bag to adminster breaths...
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCOP View Post
    Yea, I just did the AED heartsaver course last week. That's 4 hours I'll never get back. The guy on the video makes you want to eat a bullet.
    "Help..somebody help"
    "The scene is safe"
    "You! Call 911 and get an AED"

Yeah, great acting
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Thread Information