Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Retmilleo909 is offline Banned

The mystery of reputation points..

I've read FAQ numerous times and have had Mods explain how the system works, but it still remains an elusive mystery to me.
    What I would love to know is, how a member can accumulate 2-3 million Rep points in less, or a little over a year as some have?
    I've recently been given Rep points by forum members where they didn't even register on the board. In view of this it would take a life time to go from a few thousand points to millions.
    Even if members were given Rep for every word they posted there's no possible way to accumulate millions. Also, if you try to bump a member too often the little message, "you have to pass Rep around before you can give it to John Doe again." will pop up.
    Lord knows I'm not complaining, I'd just like to have this mystery cleared up.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Kinda new here, How do you even get rep points, and does it really even matter?
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Quote Originally Posted by k-9max View Post
    Kinda new here, How do you even get rep points, and does it really even matter?
    No, it really doesn't matter, but doesn't your full green bar look better now than your previous one pitiful green dot?

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

It's possible.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post

It's possible.
    Yep, I guess nothing is impossible in this strange world we're living in today.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I think part of the "secret" is you must also give to receive.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Lord knows I'm not complaining, I'd just like to have this mystery cleared up.

No.

That would take away all the high adventure around here.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

The "spreading" is as much about the giver, as the receiver....I think there is a limit to how much rep you can give in a 24 hour period.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    All I know is the more rep you have, the more masculine, cool, and overall attractive you are!

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    PDawg:
    I think part of the "secret" is you must also give to receive.
    Stokerress:
    I just tryed to give ya some and told me to spread it around..lol ive think ive heard that before..
    PDawg:
    The "spreading" is as much about the giver, as the receiver
    Considering the sources of these comments, this thread has taken on an entirely new meaning to me... ty ladies

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

You mean, Like a general with a chest full of red, white, blue, yellow and green ribbons?

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Esteda View Post
    You mean, Like a general with a chest full of red, white, blue, yellow and green ribbons?
    Sorta, only 100 times cooler and without the chauffer

zap
    zap is offline yeahrightsurewhatever
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    All I know is the more rep you have, the more masculine, cool, and overall attractive you are!
    ...well for some anyhow.....

Stupidity Recognition Technician

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Here you go.

What is "rep" (reputation) and how does it work?
    The rep (aka: reputation) system here is quite simple. Your rep bar shows overall how much reputation you have. The more green the bar is, the more positive rep you have. The more red the rep bar, the more negative rep you have. The more positive rep you have, the more you influence other members reputation (up or down) when you positive or negative rep them. The reputation system is a system used to determine one's reputation, or popularity, based on what other member's feelings on this site are of you. Generally, a member with a green bar is over all well liked by most members, while someone with a red rep bar is generally disliked or disagreed with often. When a person's reputation level is so low it reaches negative points, a message comes up on their posts stating, "GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE." Generally, a reputation is given to someone not just when you agree or disagree with their post (although that is what the rep box itself states), but when when someone posts something extraordinarily good, or extremely stupid. To see who has rep'd you, click on User CP (User Control Panel). You will see which user has rep'd you, if it was a positive or negative rep, and the comment, if any, that they provided. Here's how everything else works: Default Reputation What reputation level shall new users receive upon registration? 10 Register Date Factor For every X number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. 30 Post Count Factor For every X number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. 25 Reputation Point Factor For every X points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. 500 Minimum Post Count How many posts must a user have before his reputation hits count on others? 50 Until a member reaches 50 posts, their reputation will be sent to another member as a bluish-grey color, whether they agree or disagree with the post. During this time the member also cannot influence the other member's reputation level until they've reached 50 posts. Minimum Reputation Count How much reputation must a user have before his reputation hits count on others? 10 Daily Reputation Clicks Limit How many reputation clicks can a user give over each 24 hour period? Administrators are exempt from this limit. 3 Reputation User Spread How many different users must you give reputation to before you can hit the same person again? Administrators are exempt from this limit. 25

Hope this clears it up for you. Don't get to worried over rep, not a big deal.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

rob84 is offline Did you press the power button?
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Ill tell ya what, ill let you give me some rep. Ill let you know if it shows up or not

www.twitter.com/RobKimble1984
    www.facebook.com/robkimble

Sooooooo....some "Rep" is better then others!

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Nevermind, I just saw you read the FAQ several times and have talked to other mods. I don't know what else I can tell you.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Esteda - short answer is that the rules have changed over time, so accumulation is slower and more meaningful now. Or nonexistent, but still unimportant. I still like the system just because it's a good way to send someone a quick private note that refers them back to their post.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    Esteda - short answer is that the rules have changed over time, so accumulation is slower and more meaningful now. Or nonexistent, but still unimportant. I still like the system just because it's a good way to send someone a quick private note that refers them back to their post.
    OMG, I am agreeing with the resident pervert???
    I think that basically,the more rep you have the more you can give.But about a year ago they had post whores who would request rep and would get it The rep is for when you post a funny,significant(sp) ,or interesting post,an ATTA BOY if you will),they put in a system that stopped that and now you have to ------Hold your breath now-----------This may hurt just a little-----------------------EARN IT----------------How? be intelligent,funny,or ,post something good that has not been thru the e-mails a million times.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Resident pervert?? I represent that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information