Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Help me out you Californians

OK

Less than a week to go amd my family and I will be on the big white bird from little old England to the west coast of the US of A.

What I need from you good people are some recommendations for places to eat and the like in:

San Fransisco, Pismo Beach, Hollywood and San Diego.

We plan on doing all the normal tourist things,Alcatraz, Universal studios, Sea world etc but if you have any other suggestions......

I am planning to drive down from San fransisco on the coast road unless anyone can tell me different. I've read that it can be very slow and somewhat crowded with mobile homes and the like.

As I say any tips will be welcomed. Especialy any tips on where those damned Highway Patrol hide out!
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    I have been to San Francisco several times. There are great places to eat on Fisherman's Wharf if you like seafood. For an upscale meal there is a resturant called, "Rubicon", but it is pricey.
    CHP is everywhere. As long as you remember to drive on the "RIGHT" side of the road, you should be ok.

I don't recommend anyone post their specific locations in a public forum. If CHP radar spots are posted I will delete them. PM Motorway with those details.

If you have time, get up to the Napa Valley, great wine and a lot of fun.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I have been to San Francisco several times.
    Now there's a shock

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    Now there's a shock
    I hate you.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    i've been to San Francisco walked around fishermans wharf. it was a good time expensive though. remember seeing this hippe with a sign that said " need money for weed " and at the bottom of the sign he wrote " at least i'm honest "
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bird1 View Post
    i've been to San Francisco walked around fishermans warf. it was a good time expensive though. remember seeing this hippe with a sign that said " need money for weed " and at the bottom of the sign he wrote " at least i'm honest "
    HAHA! I saw one that said, "Need money for Beer". When the guy saw me laughing he said, "Why lie?" I gave him a few bucks for his honesty!

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    :d

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    This tour isn't for everyone (and it's not for children) but since it's run by an old friend of mine I took it when I was in LA a few months ago. It's macabre, but it's interesting and funny too.

Dearly Departed Tour

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Are you thinking of Highway 1, or 101?

The 1 hugs the coast, but is often 2 lanes. There is a very scenic section from Monterey to just past San Simeon.

Here's a link with that section.

http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2301/index.html

It is about 8 hours from San Francisco to San Diego, going the fast way on Interstate 5 - I've always come back on the 101, and it's probably added 5 hours. The 1 all the way could be longer.

Personally, I would recommend that section of Hwy 1, then cut back over to the 101 from Pismo Beach to LA.

The Monterey Bay Aquarium is pretty spectacular.

Hearst Castle is a full day - but you've seen the real deal.

La Brea Tar Pits in LA area.

We've had some rain the past few days, so there is a chance the desert may be in bloom when you get down to San Diego....Anza Borrego Desert is an easy day trip, with some nice trails. There is also the Palomar Observatory, and Julian California is a little taste of the Old West. Cabrillo National Monument is also beautiful...panoramic ocean views, tide-pools and an old lighthouse to visit.

The best beaches in San Diego are Torrey Pines, La Jolla Shores and Coronado...Mission and Pacific Beach will probably be over-run with drunk college kids. For pure funky beach culture, go to Ocean Beach, there are tide pools there that are easy to get too, and not crowded like the one's at Cabrillo - Hodads for burgers or Qwilig's for seafood. It's also near SeaWorld.

I'll add more as I think of them.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    Are you thinking of Highway 1, or 101?

The 1 hugs the coast, but is often 2 lanes. There is a very scenic section from Monterey to just past San Simeon.

Here's a link with that section.

http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2301/index.html

It is about 8 hours from San Francisco to San Diego, going the fast way on Interstate 5 - I've always come back on the 101, and it's probably added 5 hours. The 1 all the way could be longer.

Personally, I would recommend that section of Hwy 1, then cut back over to the 101 from Pismo Beach to LA.

The Monterey Bay Aquarium is pretty spectacular.

Hearst Castle is a full day - but you've seen the real deal.

La Brea Tar Pits in LA area.

We've had some rain the past few days, so there is a chance the desert may be in bloom when you get down to San Diego....Anza Borrego Desert is an easy day trip, with some nice trails. There is also the Palomar Observatory, and Julian California is a little taste of the Old West. Cabrillo National Monument is also beautiful...panoramic ocean views, tide-pools and an old lighthouse to visit.

The best beaches in San Diego are Torrey Pines, La Jolla Shores and Coronado...Mission and Pacific Beach will probably be over-run with drunk college kids. For pure funky beach culture, go to Ocean Beach, there are tide pools there that are easy to get too, and not crowded like the one's at Cabrillo - Hodads for burgers or Qwilig's for seafood. It's also near SeaWorld.

I'll add more as I think of them.
    And be careful of the police here, they have their heads up their asses. Just ask Pacman, speaking of which PM him he is an officer in San Diego.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2001 View Post
    And be careful of the police here, they have their heads up their asses. Just ask Pacman, speaking of which PM him he is an officer in San Diego.
    Chris just means Coronado....not all San Diego!

Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    The route PDawg suggests is the one I took a couple of years back. Its a fantastic drive. And when you get down to San Diego, La Jolla is really lovely, I stayed in La Valencia Hotel, which is the mutts nutts, and there is a fantastic restaurant just up the road, called the Crabcatcher which is superb.
    Never approach a bull by the front, a horse from behind, or an idiot from any direction.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    If you have time, consider a trip east to Lake Tahoe. North up the coast there are the Redwood forests. At Fisherman's Wharf is the USS Pampanito submarine tour. Alcatraz and water tour of the harbor is a good idea. Try surfing at one of the legendary beaches south of SFO. Long Beach and San Diego have naval or maritime museums. You might consider a day trip on an ocean fishing charter. A tramway/bus goes from SD to the border.

Tijuana Mexico - inquire with US local law enforcement. When I was in S.D. on dept business in 1993, we were advised to leave all LE identification in a safe place before entering Mexico. You will need your passports to re-enter US; do check before entering Mexco. Many do not consider a Tijuana visit worth the hassle, or risk.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    And take some tea with you, to make your own.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

213th is offline Solipsist
    If you are into scenery, Yosemite is the only of the few places that I would go back to see in California. If you are into hiking or climbing, there is something for people of all skills, from Half Dome, to just walking around to take pictures

http://www.nps.gov/yose
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    Alraedy got it ready to be packed!
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

If you decide to go to Tijuana, take the trolley down to the border and walk across. You can catch a cab, or even walk to downtown.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/bajaguide/Tijuana.html

Michelle is offline Civilian
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    We have tea here.
    Do you guys have a special tea that you are talking about?

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    We have tea here.
    Do you guys have a special tea that you are talking about?
    I believe they are insenuating (sp) that we do not make it correctly.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Not insinuating, just stating the facts. You can't get a decent cup of tea in the US, even in Boston, but that's probably because they threw it in the harbour.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information