Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

DC area "must see" spots???

Any who are familiar with the Washington D.C. Metro area (radius of about 100 miles or so), please give a pair of cops/military history buffs some ideas for some "must see" places...

So far, we have a "wish list" made up, which includes:

Of course LE week activities (purpose of the trip), to include the Memorial,

The WWII and Viet Vets Memorials, Arlington, Capitol, etc...

Gettysburg, Fredricksburg...

Ideas??

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    Can't go wrong with any of the Smithsonians.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    I haven't been to see it yet myself, but the new Air Force memorial in Arlington really looks cool. Also, check this out for some cool military history ideas:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/leave...hazycenter.htm

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    GET A GOOD MAP. I went last summer to see a baseball game (got rained out, so I ended up getting drunk instead), but I got unbelieveably lost. So lost, in fact, that I seriously considered just finding a real estate agent and buying a house because I thought I could never possibly make it out of there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    GET A GOOD MAP. I went last summer to see a baseball game (got rained out, so I ended up getting drunk instead), but I got unbelieveably lost. So lost, in fact, that I seriously considered just finding a real estate agent and buying a house because I thought I could never possibly make it out of there.
    Definately! The first few times I went,I would make that loop that takes you through 2 states and a district in like 5 minutes (Maryland-D.C.---Virginia.).Do check out the Smithsonian air/space museum,it is one of my favorites.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Only time there was for the Sr class trip.

Mount Vernon was another thing to see, though low on the list. More of a "so I can say I saw it" thing really. Smithsonian museums didn't really impress me much. Lot of stuff to see, but if you're just going to look from 20 feet away and read a plaque Wikipedia can do 99% of that now. Seeing Old Glory unveiled was a highlight though. They used to keep it covered most the time, only displaying it for a minute every couple hours, so that'd be something to check on for timing.

Gettysburg - take one of the tours early in the day to get oriented and spend the rest of the day on your own. What you actually see is the same thing you can see on any farm - some grass, some trees, a stone barn or two - and its still worth a full day.

As long as you're in DC check out the National Cathedral. If I think of anything else I'll check back tonight.

Edit : While at Arlington do observe the changing of the guards at the tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Preferably not with a bus tour or you'll just end up mad at people snapping pictures and chatting. (and these days yacking on cell phones no doubt).

Similarly, many of the memorials are best observed up close at night. Snuck out with some friends to see the Vietnam Memorial during the trip as it was going to be left off. Class ended up going anyway - during the day with tourists dripping ice-cream all over everything is a whole different experience.

Guess the main point of my advise is to use the maps and guides to get oriented, then go off on your own and see things at your own speed. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by BEB; 03-29-07 at 07:05 AM.

E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO
    Georgetown is always a nice place to walk around. There is a great sandwich shop a few blocks off the main road, I think its called
    Boogie Woogie or Bogeys or something like Boogies.

I found it,
    Booeymonger

3265 Prospect St NW
    202-333-4810

This deli/sandwich shop with the strange name will brighten anyone's day with its snazzy selection of specialty sandwiches. Create your own with a whole array of your favorite fresh fixings.

G'town mall is also a nice place to go if its raining.
    Must see the L.E. memorial also in Judicial Square.
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

rob84 is offline Did you press the power button?
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Stop by and say hello when you come! Im about 5 minutes from mt. vernon!

www.twitter.com/RobKimble1984
    www.facebook.com/robkimble

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Another vote for the Smithonians, although my favorite was Natural History. And how about Colonial Williamsburg?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO
    Air and Space museum....
    Take a small side trip to Annapolis maryland. Very nice if its god weather. take an old sailboat trip around Annapolis Harbor. Very very nice
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    DC area "must see" spots???
    Everyone?? Man that sounds really bad. They should probably get to a doctor. I hope it doesn't spread down to my area. I see those little floaters if I look at a wall for a while, but never any major spots unless I glance at a light or something.

rob84 is offline Did you press the power button?
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Must be the air down here

www.twitter.com/RobKimble1984
    www.facebook.com/robkimble

Quote Originally Posted by E-man View Post
    Georgetown is always a nice place to walk around. There is a great sandwich shop a few blocks off the main road, I think its called
    Boogie Woogie or Bogeys or something like Boogies.

That's not a bad place! Forgot all about it, haven't been there in a couple years.

I agree with bugeyed, you definitely want to check out the National Cathedral. It's one of my favorite places, and much less heavily trafficked than most other attractions. And if you're bringing a girl with you, she'll like the Bishop's Garden. It really is a beautiful cathedral.

I'd recommend a couple places off the beaten path like the Mt. Zion Cemetery, but to be honest there are just so many places to see you can never really fit them all into one trip anyway.

Don't forget to check out the Exorcist stairs as long as you're up in Georgetown.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    It was cool to see the US Constitution, the Capitol Building, the Lincoln Memorial, National Cathederal, etc.

It sounds funny, but if you have never been there I would suggest doing the trolly tour on the first or second day you are there. It is a cool way to check out some of the most popular sites, learn a little history and get an idea of what else you want to check out.

Don't forget to PM me before you go. I will be down there too. We'll have to designate a common point for LEFers to meet up. I know of a pretty cool cigar bar that would be a good place to meet up. The place is kind of small though, so depending on how many turn out, maybe we would go someplace else.

"Stupid should hurt."

cidp24a is offline Master Officer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Take a bus tour... That way you see lots of places you want to go back and visit. It stops at most of major sites.....
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History"

"All history becomes subjective; in other words there is properly no history, only biography."

Right near the National Cathedral across the street, there's a good mexican restuarant called Cactus Cantina. Love that place. Weather should be good to sit ouside.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I always thought the embassies were pretty cool to see, some have pretty amazing designs.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    The Holocaust Museum........leave you speechless.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

jdb91 is offline Sheepdog
    As a Civil War buff and someone who's been to Gettysburg several times I would recommend hiring one of the park tour guides to ride in or drive your car. It is well worth it and they will be able to show and tell you things the bigger tours won't. Ask about it at the Visitor Center.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    As a reminder though guys, don't believe everything the tour guides tell you, most of them screw things up in one way or another. I had one tell me that the pentagon wasn't supposed to be five sided to begin with, they were building it during the war and got the angles wrong, and they were pouring it so fast if someone fell in, they would just keep going and as a result there were something like 8 guys buried in the walls. All BS, of course, but they actually said that.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information