• Other

15 15.96%
  • Lutheran

6 6.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

What's your religion, and how did you come to believe in it?

What's your religion, and how did you come to believe in it? You can pick more than one if applicable.

I'm agnostic, but I really wish I could find a religion I could believe in. My scientific/skeptical/cultural-relativist intellectual background just makes it hard for me to pick one religion as the correct one, and not nitpick it for logical or empirical flaws or wonder why it is better than any other religion. I'm still searching, though.
    Last edited by Jenna; 04-03-07 at 01:59 PM.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Irish Pagan; met too many priests and nuns.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I definitely believe in a higher power of some type, regardless of what form or identity it has (or doesn't have). Who knows. This could all be entirely made up. For all I know, you guys are part of a game I'm playing, and in a few minutes I'll step back and be like "Man that game sucks."

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It pains me to know that anyone feels agnostic. I have a stong belief in God. Yes, it is the way I was brought up. One of the reasons it is difficult or impossible to "prove" Gods existance is the fact he wants to have his children love him through faith. There are a lot of things that are just too complicated for the human mind to understand.
    I sum up my belief in Gods existance in two ways. Here's one. If God does not exist then we are truly an accident as most scientists say. If life is an accident, accidents are explainable. If this is true wait until dark on a clear night and go outside. Once outside look up into the sky. Look as far as you can. If we are an accident then explain to yourself where exactly does the darkness end and what is on the other side of it. There is no explaination. Not one we can understand because no one has seen it. We take it on faith there is something else until it can be proven. Hypothesis for the lack of a better term.
    Two. Lets assume that all of history is incorrect concerning the Bible and the only thing provable is the life of Jesus and how it is presumed he lived. I'd say devoting his life to all of mankind and then being sacrificed for it shows an undying love for all. What harm would it do to pattern your life after that? I personally consider Jesus to be the worlds greatest public servant.
    I'm not sure but I don't think there is a rule that everything must have an explaination either. Otherwise there would be no such words as miracle. (I know all this is debatable)
    mir·a·cle [mírrək’l]
    (plural mir·a·cles)
    n
    1. act of God: an event that appears to be contrary to the laws of nature and is regarded as an act of God

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Good luck on your search and God bless. I hope you find what you are looking for.
    (For the record I was raised Missionary Baptist but I just consider myself a Christian. More Full Faith than anything else.)
    Just my opinion.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Catholic,born and raised (first 10 years) in Mid City New Orleans,nuff said.Was shoved into Catholic school in first grade (through 5th),would be scared to death to change

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I checked other, because you did not include deist/monotheist on the list.

I have a deep, strong belief in G-d. My faith is reaffirmed with every new scientific advance and discovery that is made. I believe there have been many people throughout history who were sent to inspire and lead, and I don't think they are limited to religious leaders.

I think our mission on Earth is to do right by ourselves, and others....and to care for our planet.

My church is the world that I live in.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

phantasm is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Grew up Baptist, now I go to a non-denominational Christian church. I checked out Protestant, which is a generalization, but close enough.

The existience (or lack of) of God is too much of an existientalism thought process for me to even get involved in.
    Last edited by phantasm; 04-03-07 at 03:58 PM.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Church of Christ (non-denominational) - the Lord's church. The ONLY church found in the Bible (Romans 16:16).

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    Jenna your poll is skerwed. Muslim is not a religion it is a culture. Islam is the religion, ie Sunni, Shi'a, Sufi, Wahhabi, etc....

Oh and you don't have lutheran on their either!!!!
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

dlocke1419 is offline Officer First Class
    ************this post is not intended to offend anyone********

I had a point one day brought to my attention, one of my friends believe the bible and everything is a made up story to keep people in line.
    You have to remember back then there was no laws or anything to keep people in line so the people created a story and started passing it around to put the fear in people so they would behave and some order could be met.

*************not my thought just thought i would throw it out there for everyone to ponder.*********************

Emily is offline Corporal
    I grew up in a Christian household, and my grandparents are probably the most religious people I have ever met. I, however, consider myself to be agnostic.

An agnostic does not deny the existence of God and heaven but holds that one cannot know for certain whether or not they exist.

It doesn't bother me when people talk about their God or what they believe is right. Just don't shove it down my throat, or expect me to change my views and we'll be the happiest of friends.

jato is offline Deputy Sheriff
    Agnostic

Agnosticism (from the Greek a, meaning "without", and Gnosticism or gnosis, meaning knowledge). In modern usage it is generally used to mean unknowable, and is the philosophical view that the truth value of certain claims—particularly theological claims regarding metaphysics, afterlife or the existence of God, god(s), or deities—is unknown or (possibly) inherently unknowable.
    I was raised a protestant Christian. My (Christian) faith has eroded over the years.

Now I am a cross between Agnostic and a deist. I still believe in a creative force (God) but any specifications or details of God are unknowable. I think it is pretty silly that Man "evolved" from completely random atoms and subatomic particles. In my mind at least, there must have been some intelligent force(s) shaping our "evolution" and existence throughout time.

I see religion as Man’s (very successful) manipulation of other Men.

I have come up with my beliefs on my own (for the most part). I have not done any research or read any religious type books, which influenced my religious thought process. Instead, I have done a lot of thinking and soul searching over the years.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Pagan. It works for me.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Abby is offline My mommy says I'm special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Pagan. It works for me.
    +1
    Some people dream of success, while other people live to crush those dreams.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    What's your religion, and how did you come to believe in it? ...
    My scientific/skeptical/cultural-relativist intellectual background just makes it hard for me to pick one religion as the correct one, and not nitpick it for logical or empirical flaws or wonder why it is better than any other religion. I'm still searching, though.
    I'm Zen-Buddhist. I didn't pick it- it picked me.

And Jenna, it's not about what religion is "correct"- it's about what religion is right for you.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

CelticCop is offline The Dark Lord
    Celtic Pagan... My personal belief is that there are Many Paths no One Path is the correct Path. Balance is essential.

As to being of an Empyrical mindset... Science is a religion unto itself and IMHO one of the worst. It will not allow for ANY other possiblities and treats theories as if they are certainties. There is a reason it's called a theory... Because it is Unproven.
    "Where's your towel Arthur?" -Ford Prefect

"You! On your knees!" -Green Jello

Some take delight in the carriages a rollin'
    and some take delight in the hurley and the bowlin',
    I take delight in the juice of the barley,
    and courtin' pretty fair maids in the morning bright and early...

"You are, without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of..." Cmdre. Norrington "Ah, but you have heard of me." Capt. Jack Sparrow

Warning my statements do not reflect the policies, procedures or views of my agency. As a matter of fact, they think I'm just as nuts as you do, so shove it and blow it out of your fart tube.

elkoholic is offline elkoholic
    In Law enforcement some the stuff we have to deal with and see u sometimes wonder if there is a god? When I hear stories of kids (true or untrue i don't know) who speak of a person watching and standing guard over them when injuried and sick makes me a 100&#37; believer. I do believe that this country was founded on GOD and it makes me angry that we have turned our backs on fore-fathers who shed blood so we can make everyone happy. Just my opinion not trying to stir the pot. I want my money to say "In God We Trust" not "In Government We Trust".

Copper51 is offline Up all night
    I'm a Christian, and that was the way I was brought up. I do see how some can have a bad taste in their mouth about religion. From the priests criminal sexual actions that don't get prosecuted to the phonies out there looking for fame and to get rich.

I have a personal belief in God. I don't believe that I have to belong to a certain church, ie catholic or lutheran. Seems like there are many people that interprete the Bible so it fits them and not take it for what it is.
    The statements and opinions made here are of Copper51's only. They do not reflect my department or the city I work for.
    So lay off, I'm offduty and spouting off.

mfranklin01 is offline its not vendication...its punishment
    non-denominational (sp) Christian. My family was methodist but i never went to church until about two years ago. I finally found a church with a pastor that wasn't restricted by the "elders" of the church and could preach on what God wanted him to preach. I believe the bible is the word of God that what faith is all about. Besides if God wasn't real then why does science keep proving the events that happened in the bible.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Catholic here
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked,” Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information