Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Where do police K9s come from?

Jdrew's thread about his efforts to qualify his dog as a Schutzhund got me wondering about where police K9s come from. Do you buy them from people who specialize in breeding and training police dogs (like Jdrew)? Do you try to cross especially effective K9s with each other to genetically engineer uber-K9s?
    Last edited by Jenna; 04-15-07 at 08:42 PM.

There was a time that 99% came directly from a german breeder , however there are now many that come from reputable breeders in the u.s. who have bought their stock from germany .

Also some depts are also looking at shelters and not just taking purebreeds anymore or not just german shepherds , but using beagles , labs , mixed breeds .

There is also a growing number of facilities who breed raise and work K9s and also run a K9 training school for Officers when a dept buys a K9 from them .

A good reputable business takes years of work , training , and not every puppy born from a breeding is K9 quality , so they are sold as pet quality and any breeder who advertises they have a whole litter of K9 quality is lying because it just does not happen , ever .

A good trained K9 costs more than 5 grand at least and most charge at least that to train the K9 Officer without prior experience.

The best breeding is a cross mix of excellent qualities and a very careful breeding .

This is just the very short of it .....
    Cops are sworn to protect your a@@ not kiss it .

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have a specially-bred attack Pom-a-poo. I got her from a shelter and trained her to respond only to chicken fat as a treat.

She has a very effective Achilles heel takedown.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    We import our K9's in from germany, and chechz

very seldom can you find a "Working" dog from a shelter that makes it through our screening process, meaning dog drive, socialization, hip displasic, ect...

Our average imported K9 cost around $4500.00, chech shepard, german shep, mali...., to train officer is around $4000.00 (unexperienced handler).

We have bred before, but it is alot of work, on top of training other dogs to get ready for the road, and only a few of the puppies out of the litter actually turn out to be sold as a work dog. ( Morning Coffee is right about this ) it takes a lot of time, and more help to do it right. ( very time consuming )!

Its easier to call your breeder across seas, and have one on the plane that is semi-trained delivered in 4 days.

Hope this anwsers some of your questions...
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

I agree with you K9 about getting from a breeder across the seas , sometimes but not always better quality than what is '' usually '' here in the states .

I use to own my own kennels , its alot of work but a flood happened and i just couldnt keep it going . I do miss the work though .

The czech is an awesome K9 ... i had one and it amazed me every time .

jdrew is offline Ever get so bored, you just stare at your balls?
    I did a lot of searching before I found Sasha (spelled it right this time)

I consider myself lucky for getting a dog that is very capable on the first try, but she is also a "hard" dog too.. she is very challenging.. But I'm told females tend to be a little more that way.. seems they take more time rationalize things before doing them.. not sure if thats true, who knows... make sense to me..

The one thing you have to watch out for is backyard breeders that say "the dog has papers"... AKC papers dont mean jack when it comes to the quality of the dog.

Did i read somewhere LAPD has their own stock of dogs they breed just for their dept?
    Last edited by jdrew; 04-15-07 at 09:58 PM.

Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid. - Unknown

The opinions given in my posts don't reflect the opinions, views, policies/procedures of my agency. They are my personal opinions and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Verified LEO
    yes,
    i heard the same thing about a year ago.
    they are breeding, and training their own K9's..

to save money!!!!!!!!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

jdrew is offline Ever get so bored, you just stare at your balls?
    I thought i read that... i was debating on not posting that incase it was a dream or an out of body experience.. lol

I'm guessing that are turing out some good k9's..

With the drive and confidence Sasha has, I was considering doing SAR with her.. We have a great K9 SAR team here that i am able to join.. but I cant decide... we mostly do tracking now... no real bite... i'm still just making it all a fun game.. I need to make the choise soon.. I like both... but you cant have both.. the SAR team told me if I do any SCH with her, forget about SAR at all..

I personally like the SCH better than SAR, but I think SCH would obviously be more fun for the both of us..

I will let her hips decide on what will be best in the long run though... I will probably have this done in the next week or two.. I will report the findings..

Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid. - Unknown

The opinions given in my posts don't reflect the opinions, views, policies/procedures of my agency. They are my personal opinions and I accept sole responsibility as such.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Jdrew's thread about his efforts to qualify his dog as a Schutzhund got me wondering about where police K9s come from.
    well, when a mommy and a daddy k9 love each other very much...
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

K9brando is offline Fun In The Snow!
    Verified LEO
    Well you see Jenna, there is a mommie dog and a daddie dog and well, they get together and the you should know the rest of the story. Yes, the stork brings the litter as well.
    I'm ready for spring!

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by K9brando View Post
    Well you see Jenna, there is a mommie dog and a daddie dog and well, they get together and the you should know the rest of the story. Yes, the stork brings the litter as well.

Beat me to it.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Verified LEO
    Roflmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    They usually go with European bred, as they are still true to the working standard.

U.S. German Shepards are bred to the AKC standard, which is for looks, not physical strength and ability.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    In London the Met Police has it's own Dog Training School, where they also run a breeding programme. Rescue dogs and donated dogs are accepted, if suitable. 99% of dogs used are German Shepherds but Labradors and Spaniels are used as drug or bomb search dogs.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

bayern is online now Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

K9

Going thru one of the airports on the way back from Europe 2 yrs ago, a Fed Chick from Dept of Argiculture ha a Beagle who could smell fruit a mile away. That ol hound just loved apples. When it was thru, there was enough to open a fruit stand. Queston for you Feds at the Airports - do you REALLY destroy all that stuff or do you have a feast when its all over.

I always preferred the european , i only bred to another european if it had the right qualities etc . I agree with you PDawg .

Backyard breeders drive me crazy , they have no real clue nor desire for the breed other than for money and most akc if they are quality breeding more often than not are hard to find and the majority like pdawg said are going for show quality and then theres the backyard breeders .

Word to the wise , a german sounding name on akc papers does not mean it came from europe , always investigate the background and when handed any foreign papers get a copy and pay attention to the dates on it and check it out before final purchase and signing contract of purchase . Also know that anyone selling a puppy as K9 quality at 8 weeks is fake , a K9 will not show out til much later months wise and it takes a qualified K9 person to make that decision and pick them to send to training and no guarantee even then on some .

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    LOL @ the lessons about the "birds and bees and storks and K9s".

So are most K9s left unspayed/unneutered so that they can pass on their genetic material if they turn out to be really talented? If so, do K9s ever fall in love with each other? Do female K9s get "maternity leave" when they are called upon to produce the next generation? What happens if a K9 falls in love with a criminal's dog? Do criminals keep "badge bitches" who try to tempt K9s away from their duties?

laughing hard at Jennas questions ... usually K9s are spayed and neutered ...

gonna leave the rest of it to the guys ..... lol

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    LOL @ the lessons about the "birds and bees and storks and K9s".

So are most K9s left unspayed/unneutered so that they can pass on their genetic material if they turn out to be really talented? If so, do K9s ever fall in love with each other? Do female K9s get "maternity leave" when they are called upon to produce the next generation? What happens if a K9 falls in love with a criminal's dog? Do criminals keep "badge bitches" who try to tempt K9s away from their duties?
    1. do k9s ever fall in love with each other?
    it happens, though its frowned upon...love in the workplace usually creates problems.

2. do female k9s get maternity leave?
    7 weeks paid, 8 if they have c section. unfortunately some get so attached to their litters, they end up taking advantage of their paid leave and then quitting to be a stay at home dog.

3. what if a k9 falls in love witha criminals dog?
    they are exiled and sold to the nearest chinese take out joint (for reasons unknown)

4. Do criminals keep badge bitches to tempt k9s from their duties?
    yes. this exact scenario is usually the case when a k9 fails to track a criminal...damned badge bitches. who can resist them though?
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Thread Information