Welcome to the APBWeb.
    conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO

10th Mountain Division

Guy I know in this division just sent this to me.

A 10th Mountain Division soldier writes:

Those of you who know me and know me well know that leaving blogs, or
    forwards or anything of that nature is not my style. But over the past week
    I've seen some things that cannot go untold.

As you all know I am a squad leader, currently serving in Afghanistan. Been
    here for 6 months now, but this is by no means my first combat tour. In a span of 3 days, I saw 4 soldiers fight, and loose their lives in combat.

A lot of people like to say that they we're fighting for their country. While I agree with that, there is also more to it than that. People always seem to overlook the rest of that statement. These soldiers died so that their brothers next to them could live. At the time of their deaths they were not thinking that they are helping a nation fight terrorism, rather they died knowing that they were protecting the rest of us who fought beside them. One man died reloading one of our heavy weapon systems. He knew that the operation of that weapon was vital to the safety of the rest of the platoon. At that moment, self sacrifice was what protected the other 4 soldiers within his vehicle. His actions and the other soldiers who died as well will never be forgotten.

A brother is not someone who shares a father with you because we all share
    the same father anyways, rather its someone who is always there for you in
    your times of need, as well as your times of joy. The quote is from one of
    our fallen comrades. He paid the ultimate sacrifice so that he could be
    there in OUR time of need.

The reason I am telling you all this, is because I am angry. If I were to go
    home to the United States and pick one random person and say that I just
    returned home from fighting a war in Afghanistan, what do you think his
    reaction would be? I am willing to bet his reaction would be this. That he
    would ask, We still have soldiers in Afghanistan? We are still fighting the
    terrorist who inhabit this poor region. Afghanistan seems to be the
    forgotten war. The people of the United States don't understand that people
    are still fighting and dieing in the mountains, roads, streets and cities of
    Afghanistan. I don't know when this transition happened, but people need to
    be reminded of our actions over here. Iraq seems to be all that fill the
    minds of our citizens.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I am not trying to take away from the good that our soldiers in Iraq are doing. I just believe that our forgotten soldiers in the mountains of Afghanistan, and the soldiers who die along with them deserve some respect as well. While the casualties in Afghanistan are lower then Iraq, consider this fact. The number of troops in Iraq number roughly around 125,000 while the number of troops in Afghanistan number only around 20, 000. That's why the death toll between the two war zones seems so drastically different. I have fought the enemy in both countries, been shot at and blown up more times then I can count. And I can tell you this. The enemy we face in Afghanistan is a much greater and more determined enemy. They are better trained and know how to fight. They have been doing it for hundreds of years.

In closing, over the past few weeks, we have encountered some very serious
    resistance. My platoon alone has lost two of their brothers and had 7 wounded, all of whom were evacuated to echelons of medical care far away from our current position. While I weep for the ones who have lost their lives, I am also concerned for those who are trying to heal. Some may never walk again, others will be permanently disfigured, and all have some trying times ahead of them. Those are the people I am asking you all to pray for. That they have a speedy and healthy recovery. I can say this though, I am happy that they are at least out of harms way.

This is my charge to all of you. We need to spread the word of the soldiers who are still fighting in Afghanistan. Our soldiers here depend on the support of our loved ones back home. Please copy and paste this to your profiles. Tell everyone you know of the trying times our brothers are facing. Tell everyone of the heroism of the soldiers who lost their lives and of the soldiers who are fighting to recover what they have.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I can't add a comment to that... I think he said it all.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    My heart is always out to our soldiers, everywhere.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I just adopted an entire platoon, which I was told would probably be 15 to 30 people max. The one I got is 37. Holy crap.

Invest in Beef Jerky and sunflower seed stock, folks

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    I just adopted an entire platoon, which I was told would probably be 15 to 30 people max. The one I got is 37. Holy crap.

Invest in Beef Jerky and sunflower seed stock, folks
    I'd like to contribute, or send goodies too...can I be Auntie?
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

sgtpelon is offline Officer First Class

Send supplies, but get the message out.

Definitely support the troops with goodies and things they need, but don't forget to remind everyone around you that our men and women are still in harm's way for us. I have a bulletin board on my wall outside work and I keep updated information and photos from the Wolfhounds of the 25th ID. My friend's son is deployed and I have an 8X12 of him above the newsletter they put out. Many of the units put out newsletters and updates. Post them. Get them out in the view of the people who already have forgotten. Don't let them. Here is the Wolfhound's website

http://www.wolfhounds.net/

Like I said, many if not most units have websites. If you don't know someone deployed, adopt one. Don't forget the smaller units that have less people deployed that sometimes get lost in the big units. Psyop teams and Civil Affairs Detachments are a couple

http://www.psywarrior.com/psyop.html

Let the American people be forced to remember and while you are at it, put out the information about the positive things the troops are doing. They only get the negative stuff the main stream media puts out. Just my two cents.

Id love to be able to send things to a unit , but the way i understand it , you have to have someone inpaticular to address everything to since they stopped the '' to any soldier sailor etc " mail .

How does one find a unit to send things too ?
    Cops are sworn to protect your a@@ not kiss it .

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    The 10th Mountain Division holds a special place in the hearts of my family.

My Great-Uncle (my Grandmother's brother) served in the 87th Mountain Infantry during WWII.

1st Battalion—Spiazzi Tragedy
    The battle was over, but tragedy struck just as they received the order to withdraw. It is thought that the safe was booby-trapped, for thousands of records were scattered far and wide.
    In any case, the building occupied by Company A was mined by the Germans who must have foreseen their defeat, and left their treachery behind them. The whole wing of the building fell.
    S/Sgt. HAROLD M. CREGER was killed. He was the platoon sergeant of the 3rd Platoon, Company A, and his work in the campaign had been superior. Wounded in the blast were Second Lieutenant WILFERD L. PHILLIPSEN, of the 3rd Platoon, and Sgt. RAOUL J. CLOUTIER, Pfc. ROBERT A. UTTER, Pfc.CLIFFORD G. ABNEY, JR., Pfc. LEO HACKNEY, JR., Pvt. DANIEL O.
    FIKE, Pvt. LOWELL E. GIBSON, and Pvt. WILLIAM P. ANTHONY. Three men of Company D were wounded: Pfc. GRANVILLE BROWN, Pfc. WILLIAM J. LALLY, and Pfc. ROBERT J. STILLER.

The action at Spiazzi, apart from the tragedy of the explosion, was an outstanding example of a night approach, and a surprise attack from two directions against a fanatical enemy. The garrison at Spiazzi was in reality an NCO school, consisting of about 200 men. The surrounding area was well organized with model emplacements. The defenders counterattacked repeatedly and
    viciously to throw out the attacking Americans. An estimated seventy Germans were killed; about forty were captured. The remainder are believed to have escaped down the steep bluffs to
    the east toward the Adige River.
    They thought my uncle was dead, but he blew out the match they lit to try to find his dogtags.

http://www.10thmtndivdesc.org/
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I'll definitely welcome people's help, I didn't expect such a large unit so I'll take anything I can get. Letters, packages, etc.

The unit is a platoon in the 501 Parachute Infantry Regiment and they're now in Iraq.

PM me for more information, and thanks!

sgtpelon is offline Officer First Class

Sources

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Coffee View Post
    Id love to be able to send things to a unit , but the way i understand it , you have to have someone inpaticular to address everything to since they stopped the '' to any soldier sailor etc " mail .

How does one find a unit to send things too ?
    Here is one way.

http://reconnectamerica.com/giveback/

There are a number of charities that send cards, goodies, etc.

Operation Gratitude is a good choice. I donate to the USO too.

http://www.uso.com/

Thanks for your interest and as a vet, it does my heart good to see people who want to get involved. Thanks

Thread Information