Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Retmilleo909 is offline Banned

Terrier Dies Protecting Kids From Pit Bulls

Terrier Dies Protecting Kids From Pit Bulls
    AP
    WELLINGTON, New Zealand (May 2) - A plucky Jack Russell terrier named George saved five children from two marauding pit bulls, but was so severely mauled in the fight that it had to be put down, its owner said Wednesday.
    George was playing with the group of children as they returned home from buying sweets at a neighborhood shop in the small North Island town of Manaia last Sunday when the two pit bulls appeared and lunged toward them, Allan Gay said.

"George was brave - he took them on and he's not even a foot high," Gay told The Associated Press. "He jumped in on them, he tried to keep them off.

"If it wasn't for George, those kids would have copped it."

One of the children, Richard Rosewarne, 11, was quoted in the Taranaki Daily News on Wednesday as saying George fought with the pit bulls to keep them off his 4-year-old brother, Darryl.

"George tried to protect us by barking and rushing at them, but they started to bite him - one on the head and the other on the back," Rosewarne said. "We ran off crying and some people saw what was happening and rescued George."
    But George was so badly mauled that a veterinarian had to put him down, Gay said.

South Taranaki District Council official Graham Young said the two pit bulls had been impounded, and likely would be put down because of the attack.

In New Zealand, owners of dogs judged to be too aggressive can be required to have them neutered and dogs involved in attacks are destroyed.

George

A Pit Bull, similar to the one's who mauled George

Reasoning why I value dogs more than I value some people.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn2009 View Post
    Reasoning why I value dogs more than I value some people.
    most

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I can believe that. My little 8 month old Jack Russell thinks she can whip anything that comes in the yard. Those pups, pound for pound, have more heart than any pit bull.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    I feel so bad for those kids losing their dog....
    however now they know that heros come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Jack Russells are known for smarts and tenacity. Perfect example of the noble breed here.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

TXCOP is offline Officer First Class
    We're talking about dogs bred to go underground for days and hunt for weasels and such. These things don't have an ounce of "backdown" in them. I'm proud to have one.
    "Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you.
    He is training with minimum food or water, in austere conditions, day and night.
    The only thing clean on him is his weapon.
    He doesn't worry about what workout to do---his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
    The True Believer doesn't care "how hard it is"; he knows he either wins or he dies.
    He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home.
    He knows only the Cause.
    Now, who wants to quit?"

"I am only one, but I am one. I can not do everything, but I can do something. And because I can not do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do I should do. And what I should do, by the Grace of God, I will do."

Edward Everett Hale

Hawk1 is offline Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Thats a lot of ticker for a little dog. Is sad that had to be destroyed due to injuries sustained.
    So George..here's a scruffy pat on the head, a big doggie biscuit and a bed in the sun heading your way. RIP George.
    "Contrary to popular belief, you will not rise to the occasion, but will fall to the level of your training"

rob84 is offline Did you press the power button?
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I love both jack russles, and pit bulls. Jack Russels have an enormous amount of heart, and this story proves it. Its just a shame that pit bulls always get a bad rap. You can train any dog to be aggressive and mean, but its mainly pit bulls that you see in the media, made to look like monsters. Its the irrisponsible pieces of sh!t that train them to be aggressive. Just because the breed is a good fighter, doesn't mean it has to be one. Ive been attacked by all kinds of dogs, from ankle biting weiner dogs, to german shepards. It all depends on how the dog is raised.

www.twitter.com/RobKimble1984
    www.facebook.com/robkimble

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    My 8 month old JR will hold onto a toy and let me pick her up off the ground. Refuses to let go, growling all the time. She also goes completely nuts when a stranger comes in the house, hackles up, growling and barking, until I can show her that the person is not a threat. I have 2 JRs and one JR/Pomeranian mix. I love the breed. Tenacious is not a strong enough word.

RIP George. Good dog.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Thread Information