Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.

It's not about the beer. It's about the car.

MLB teams missing point with beer ban
    Kevin Hench / FOXSports.com

While it's perfectly understandable that the St. Louis Cardinals banned alcohol in the clubhouse in the wake of pitcher Josh Hancock's death, beer or whatever spirit Hancock was imbibing to run up his .157 blood-alcohol level was not the culprit.
    BlogJam ...

Kevin Hench says a ban on beer won't do nearly as much to curtail drunk driving among big-league players as a ban on driving. But what do you say? Here's your chance to voice your opinion.

Hancock's decision to get behind the wheel led to his senseless death. It was his mistake and his alone not the bartender's, or the Cardinals', or Anheuser-Busch's, or society's and thank God no one else paid for his tragic lapse in judgment with their life.

We have a problem in America. The only thing we love more than our booze is our car. Mass production of the Model T began in 1914 and by 1927 there were 15 million on the road. The 1919 Volstead Act, proscribing the sale of alcohol, was repealed in 1933. And thus our 20th century exercise in killing each other and ourselves with our motor vehicles began in earnest.

The Cardinals, like the A's, Yankees, Mets, Twins and Pirates before them, believe the answer to this problem is bringing back prohibition. Ban beer in the clubhouse and the players won't drive drunk.

Alcohol has been a part of baseball clubhouse culture forever, whether it is a post-game beer or a championship celebration, like the Red Sox in 2004. (Ezra Shaw / Getty Images)

Which, of course, begs a few questions:

If it's too dangerous to provide a couple of beers to 25 guys in a clubhouse all of whom can afford cab fare or limo fare and some of whom can afford to charter the Concorde then what of the tens of thousands of over-served fans that the park just disgorged out into the parking lot? I mean, if a team is serious about public safety and its own liability, shouldn't it really extend the ban to the entire park? Ah, but now we're talking about the bottom line. Banning beer in the clubhouse doesn't cost the club anything. In fact, it saves them a few bucks. Banning $8 beers on the concourse and thereby jeopardizing massive sponsorship deals would be a financial hit no club will ever take.

And what about the fact that Hancock was drinking at a bar the night of his death? Banning beer in the clubhouse will prevent drunk driving the same way making grandmothers throw out their shampoo before they get on an airplane prevents terrorism. The club might feel better about itself by inconveniencing the adults in its employ, but if they really wanted to do something serious to curb driving under the influence they'd provide car service for their players. If New York law firms can provide car service for the late-night temps who type up their documents, I suspect a Major League baseball team could afford to make sure their most-prized employees don't have to worry about figuring out if they're steady enough to drive.

And aren't we really talking about two very different kinds of drinking? While the billboards say "Buzzed driving is drunk driving," there's a huge difference between a guy tossing 'em back until he's doubled the legal limit and a 200-pound catcher having a cold one after squatting for nine innings on a hot day in August. The vast majority of professional baseball players can self-regulate, but teams are now saying the players can't be trusted with this decision. So a sacrosanct rite of sports the postgame brew will get dumped into the recycling bin of history.

And isn't America's unbridled love affair with beer the whole reason Gussie Busch could afford to buy a baseball team in the first place? The Cardinals telling their employees they can't have beer is like Exxon-Mobil insisting its employees drive hybrids.

Call me old school, but I believe beer belongs in the clubhouse. A guy playing almost every night for six months should be able to unwind with a couple of frosties after he gets a couple of knocks. When banning alcohol in his clubhouse, Oakland GM Billy Beane said he thought the A's should behave like any other business, which, of course, is ludicrous. If Aetna insurance salespeople were having 95-mile-an-hour missiles whizzed past them in front of 40,000 people and needed a shower after work, I'd say they were entitled to a beer.

Is there any doubt that banning private cars from the players' parking lot would go a lot further toward curbing drunk driving than banning beer in the clubhouse? The Hall of Fame is filled with guys who regularly drank until passing out but lived to not remember it because a teammate stuffed them in a cab. You could even put it to a vote of the players beer or cars, but not both.

I laughed out loud the first time I saw the Jack Daniels commercial (during a sporting event) on cable that suggested several ways to drink J.D. before intoning, "... but however you choose to enjoy Jack Daniels, enjoy it responsibly." Really? Who sidles up to the bar and orders Jack Daniels with the intention of drinking responsibly? When I order a Jack and Coke, it's my declaration that I plan to drink irresponsibly. It also means I'm not driving.

And that's really all the companies that make our booze are asking of us when they implore us to drink responsibly. It's much more responsible to drink 15 beers and take a cab home than to drink five and drive.

Kevin Hench is a frequent contributor to FOXSports.com
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Personal responsibility, think it'll catch on?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Personal responsibility, think it'll catch on?
    Nope.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Better chance of seeing God in a prom dress than people saying "that was my fault. No one elses."
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ok, repeat after me...

Beer isn't evil.
    Cars aren't evil.
    People who drink beer and drive cars are evil.

Beer isn't evil.
    Cars aren't evil.
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Maybe 'common sense affirmations' will help.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information