Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Jackalope is offline Yell O

Motorcycle Advice

So all cops ride motorcycles (off duty), right? Then it stands to reason that this would be a good place to get advice on motorcycles to look at.

I definetely want a cruiser. I have no preference for the manufacturer. I don't want anything more than about 4-5 years old, and my upper price limit is around $5000-6000. I'm also looking for something that gets pretty good mileage, but I don't want it to be so underpowered that it struggles to get up to freeway speed.

I really don't know anything about motorcycles, so any advice is welcome. I do know that I don't like the idea of a "beginner's bike." I want to grow into whatever bike is going to serve me well long-term.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

There can be only one...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

I actually did find a Sportster that met my criteria while searching Cycletrader.com, but do I really want a Sportster? It looked like a moped and a motorcycle mated.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I would pass"

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    how big a guy are ya jackalope? That has plenty to do with your bike choice. I am about 6 foot, 230.....have been riding since I was 15, sigh, over half my life. All I ever ride / rode were crotch rockets, the last one was a CBR1000. Due to my size and ahem...weight, I wont ride anything less than a 1000. Cruisers are a bit different, and I am sure there are plenty of guys on here with more experience in that area. With motorcycles, its not always about top speed, a bigger engine is going to give you the confidence when it comes to merging, or getting out of the way of some idiot who doesnt see you. Side note, check out ICON ridding gear, I absolutely LOVE their stuff.
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    I actually did find a Sportster that met my criteria while searching Cycletrader.com, but do I really want a Sportster? It looked like a moped and a motorcycle mated.
    Ride it, just once. That's all it will take.

(Then get a fat bob tank for it).

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    so can we still be friends bear if I tell ya I wont ride a Harley? I like to RIDE bikes, not fix them...LMAO

JUST KIDDING Guys...
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

iso607 is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    I do not own one,...yet, but I have been looking pretty hard for the last few months. The one I found that gives you the most bang for your buck is the Kawasaki 900 Vulcan Classic LT. The one I looked at and testdrove was a new 2007 model and it's starting price is about $8500.00. The 900cc kind of turned me off at first, but the salesman talked me into testdriving it and to say the least I was impressed. I have rode larger bikes but for the average rider the 900cc is a good fit. Looking at the performance specs. it has about the same HP and torque as the 1100cc Yamaha and Honda's. The differance is the gasmilage. The kawasaki is estimated at getting 50+ mpg where the Yamaha and Honda 1100cc only get around 40. You can see the spec's for yourself at the bellow website.

http://kawasaki.com/Products/detail.aspx?id=215

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    Jack, do you really want a cruiser?
    I have one of these and its for sale in your price range.
    2005, 2600miles and gets 50mph...

I just purchased a 64 VW Bug to restore so my trade off with my wife is I have to sell the bike... Sucks because its a great bike...

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

Sorry, Charlie, I'm pretty set on a cruiser. But it's awesome that you got a Bug. My dad and I restored this one while I was in high school. It's a 1971. I still have it, but I don't drive it anymore.

"I'm not a coward,
    I would pass"

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    Sportster? My wife worked at a big motorcycle store for a few years. The customers varied from hardcore outlaw bikers and long distance riders down to the ride-once-a-year crowd. Most of the sales were for Harley parts/assessories. At the time, my wife had a 800cc Suzuki Intruder. One day, she had it parked out front and a customer came in and started bitchin' about the "rice burner" parked out front. My wife looked at him and asked him what he rode. He replied he rode a Sportster. She told him, "Those are pretty bikes- for girls to learn on!" Nuf said.

My wife and I just sold our bikes last year due to the traffic issue in CT. Too many cars and too much distracted driving- I found I wasn't having fun riding anymore. I ended up being too stressed watching all the four-wheelers.

But, I owned cruisers for the last 30 years or so (and yeah, I even had a Sporty for a while ). IMO, as long as you can touch the ground flat-footed, you need to get the largest bike you can handle. When my wife had the Intruder, I had a Honda Shadow, 1100cc. After a long day of riding, she was usually pretty beat and I was usually in much better shape. On long rides, the weight (among other things) of the bike has a lot to do with the comfort of the rider.

Her bike was just too light. We bought her a Honda Shadow 1100, and she was a lot more comfortable. The only thing I noticed about the older Shadows is that a few of the various models were very top heavy when the gas tank was full.

I rode a Suzuki 1500cc for a long trip and enjoyed it. Rode a Yamaha (can't remember the model) and I thought it was one of the nicest balanced bikes I ever rode. I always wanted a Road King (rode one on a 1800 mi trip and loved it), but since my wife said we'd have to buy two, I decided I didn't want to take out a second mortage, so I never did.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I'll probably get hammered for this, if you just want comfort easy cruise look a a Suzuki Burgman 650 you may be surprised.
    Last edited by dadyswat; 05-11-07 at 07:41 AM.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    I always liked my BMW's, back in the day when I rode a bike to work and back every day. The 1100 was a particularly fine machine although I still have a soft spot for the old K100.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    The Kawasaki Vulcan line is great,I love the torque from the Kaw engines,I am 5'12" and 195 and this thing goes from 0-screams in a heartbeat. it is only a 750

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Did you photoshop out the stabilisers? (training wheels to you colonials.)
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    Did you photoshop out the stabilisers? (training wheels to you colonials.)
    You are wrong for that, actually that photo was taken the day I got it and didn't have time to install threm yet

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    I always liked my BMW's, back in the day when I rode a bike to work and back every day. The 1100 was a particularly fine machine although I still have a soft spot for the old K100.
    Yeah, but you're talking about a class all its own. As much as I wanted to hate them, I rode my cousin's beemer back to CT from PA once and it was like riding on a cloud. What a sweet bike, and since it was almost all interstate riding, it was very comfortable for being a small one. If I recall, it was in the 600cc range. The only problem I had was the seat height. I was uncomfortable when I had to put my feet down and actually manhandle the thing anyplace. I like a full foot on the ground, and really feel better if I can do so with my knees bent. One of the Sgts at my PD bought a newer model BMW Police model (unsure of the model). I sat on it and the seat is way too high for my taste. But, the beemers do have one excellent thing going for them- antilock brakes!
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

rob84 is offline Did you press the power button?
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    My first bike was a 2003 buell blast, 500cc's of raw power

That damn thing couldn't wheelie if your life depended on it lol. It was a great beginer bike because it was like a dressed up moped.

www.twitter.com/RobKimble1984
    www.facebook.com/robkimble

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by stokerress View Post
    I would really like to learn how to ride a bike. I dont care if it is a crotch rocket or harley..One of my close friends has a Haybusa 1300 Suzuki, said he would learn me, just alittle scared of that, he says it is fastest on the planet..Figured i learn on a dirt bike first..Course i heard they have weekend classes that teaches u and gives you the license there also..
    Don't you DARE learn on that beast. It's not only the fastest, but its one of the damn heaviest crotch rockets out there. You will either flip on your back from the wheelie you will pop because your not used to the acceleration, or you will fall over from how heavy that damn thing is. Be carefull, get a small bike to learn how to turn, and get a feel for acceleration. When you twist the throttle on the busa, you GO.....FAST. Try a small cc bike to learn on. Maybe a 600 or a 700 cc. Sorry if I came off as being a prick, im just looking out for you

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by stokerress View Post
    N.P. rob, thanks for your concern..Was alittle scared of it myself..Trying to get my dad to buy be a 2003 Honda Shadow for my birthday next week..My Capt has a Yellow one tryingto sell! He said i could learn to ride it in first gear like his wife did.. BTW your not a prick
    Atleast on the shadow, your feet would probably touch the ground. Its still kind of a heavy bike, but much more beginer friendly. Thanks

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I'd like to get one, but with as short as I am I doubt I could find one to fit well enough that wouldn't be a kid's ride.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information