Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

Petition for LE to carry on Air Craft

I received this in an email from a buddy.

http://www.petitiononline.com/carryon/petition.html
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    I don't know if that one is a good idea. Granted, if available, I would take the opportunity, but I can see all kinds of bad in that too. The law needs to be a lot tighter than what is written. Shooting a gun in a pressurized cabin at 25,000 feet? Ouch.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    From what I've read, a few bullet holes through the skin of a commercial aircraft will not depressurize the cabin.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I thought that the law allowing LE to carry in any state allowed them to also carry on an airplane? Or is carrying on an airplane FOBO?
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

Interesting

Scroll down to sharp objects and below....looks like they tried to cover all the bases!

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    I don't know if that one is a good idea. Granted, if available, I would take the opportunity, but I can see all kinds of bad in that too. The law needs to be a lot tighter than what is written. Shooting a gun in a pressurized cabin at 25,000 feet? Ouch.
    It has been tested and simply shooting a round or even a few dozen rounds either from handgun, shotgun, or assualt rifile will not depressureize the plane enough to cause any real issue.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Big Sexy is offline Not your mothers BIG SEXY
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    I thought that the law allowing LE to carry in any state allowed them to also carry on an airplane? Or is carrying on an airplane FOBO?
    A local or state officer has to have a reason, more than because they want to, to carry on board an aircraft. Most of the time they want you to have "orders" or at least something on letterhead, signed by a superior officer in your chain of command.
    Don't Be Afraid To Fail.

No Tengas Miedo Al Fracaso.

Cheech Guest
    if we carry guns on board we should have corbon rounds or hollow points so we don't knock holes in the craft

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    I saw the plane pressurization on mythbusters and that myth got busted. The problem is that the capt. has the final say if the gun is carried on board. I dont think the TSA could handle that. I mean the I flew with my child when she was 4 and they wanted to pat her down. I would be more for having a Cop only line where you dont have to deal with the BS and having your creds and a breif non evasive search was all that was done. If that were to happen then I would ponder if depts would start putting restrictions on officers. Seeing that you would have to put your dept down, my dept has not trained me in gun fighting at 15,000 ft. and I dont think they would want me carrying on a plane unless I was properly trained. On a plane there is no concealment or cover. Granted if dumbasses would have to think "maybe theres a gun carryin cop on board" they would think twice about tryin anythin stupid. Plus I would think if there was more than one cop on any plane they would have to let the other cops just in case shit hit the fan and that seems like too much work for the feds to do.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
    A local or state officer has to have a reason, more than because they want to, to carry on board an aircraft. Most of the time they want you to have "orders" or at least something on letterhead, signed by a superior officer in your chain of command.
    OKay...thanks.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I have a friend who is on a fugative recovery unit... He said that all this post-911 nonsense about not letting him be armed causes him to drive thousands of miles a year to do fugative recoveries in neighboring states, because they can no longer get on a commercial plane with their prisoner unless they're completely unarmed - How stupid is that?

No way is he gonna be unarmed with a prisoner for an hour, so they have to drive, sometimes halfway across the country. This causes extra risk to the public, for simple things like letting the prisoner(s) use the bathroom on the road, having to let them eat, etc. They've had a few close calls when the prisoners tried to attack them and escape during potty breaks.

On the planes, they strap them down to the seats and make them hold it till they land - They've never had the problems on the planes that they have when they spend dozens of hours on the road.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 05-11-07 at 01:03 AM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    I dont like the captain having final say over me carying a gun. I'm here help defend HIS plane. Disarm me, and I am useless. fucking retards invented that clause..

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    I don't care to fly anywhere. Getting aboard an airline flight is a bit like going to jail anyway.

1. you get searched
    2. shoes and belts - off
    3. you stand in long lines
    4. the staff is rude and over-worked
    5. the food sucks, if any
    6. they pack you in tight i.e. overcrowded

Think of that moment of having to use deadly force (firearm) aboard an aircraft, is like a having to do the same in a dark movie theater after someone yells "fire", or in a packed subway car when some moron says the word "bomb". In one word: PANIC. It aint the fuselage, it's the people packed in tight, for that airline profit reason - load factor or paying seats. Our Federal Air Marshals earn every cent they take home. It takes a lot of training, the best in judgment, and skilled marksmanship standards, on alert every moment. Meet those standards - OK.

Ground transport of felons takes longer. I did that several times as a deputy sheriff. Schedule stops along the way where there are secure arrangements. For a moderate distance, simplicity of ground travel beats the joys of the airline alternative: paperwork, waiting, security, letters and weapon authority, crowded in with tired stressed people you have no control over, having to explain the who - what - where - why - how to every airliine employee you meet, and some of them like to talk too much to others. Add 6 hours to the day, no matter the flight duration and distance. Dont forget the lousy food you now have to pay for.

For long distances the US Marshal's Service may be a good resource. Some agencies use charter or govt owned aicraft if necessary. No other passengers.

Cooperative inmate transport works well out here. Some resourceful CO's worked it out between agencies, jails, and courts and transports are shared from jail to jail for miniimum security risks. Inmates neeeding more security are transported in other ways.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    No offense to the upstanding officers here, but there are too many knuckleheads who get on with departments for me to feel comfortable with their gun being on a plane carrying potentially hundreds of people.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Helllloooooooo,has everyone forgotten the MAIN reason not to want to carry on a flight?????,NO BOOZE

dla4079 is offline Corporal
    Verified C/O
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Shooting a gun in a pressurized cabin at 25,000 feet? Ouch.
    That would suck....

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

Capt. D. Larimore
    NTISF Gang Unit

Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    No offense to the upstanding officers here, but there are too many knuckleheads who get on with departments for me to feel comfortable with their gun being on a plane carrying potentially hundreds of people.
    That's the same arguments I hear of why CHL holders should be banned from movie theaters & malls... Except for the fact that movie theaters and malls generally don't fly at 35,000 feet

Seriously, most commercial planes are also military planes. They're designed to take gunfire, unless by chance it hits a hydraulic line or key electrical conduit, then there are still redundancies so you'd have to be awfully lucky (or unlucky) to bring one down with a few random shots.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 05-11-07 at 01:01 PM.

(\__/)

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    The ease with which one depressed or angry person could take down a plane, if they're armed, is too much of a risk for me to accept. It's also more likely that false police credentials could be created that would lead to terrorists/criminals getting a gun onto a plane.

In that case... Arm all the passengers!

(\__/)

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Brilliant!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information