Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

What's the best gift you ever gave or received on Mother's Day?

Mother's Day makes me sad because it reminds me of how I never did enough for my mother while she was still alive. As a child I just gave her Mother's Day cards that our teachers at school helped us make out of construction paper. After I moved away for college, every year around Mother's Day I spent a few minutes drawing childish doodles of flowers and animals and "Happy Mother's Day" on a blank piece of computer printer paper, and mailed it to her. I didn't think much of it--I thought it was just a cheap and quick way to fulfill an obligation, and she seemed to like it.

After she died and I looked through her things, I found all of my casually handmade cards carefully stored with her best jewelry and family heirlooms. I guess they meant more to her than I knew. I wish I had done more for her on Mother's Days and all other days, but I'm glad that at least I spent those few minutes each year doing something that made her happy.
    Last edited by Jenna; 05-12-07 at 08:09 PM.

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    The gift that keeps on giving...my daughter. She was born close to Mother's Day.

After she died and I looked through her things, I found all of my casually handmade cards carefully stored with her best jewelry and family heirlooms. I guess they meant more to her than I knew.
    You have no idea. It's the little things that count.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

213th is offline Solipsist
    The last summer I spent at home, I planted a semi-large flower garden for her. And I re-built her front porch. But what I enjoyed the most, was taking her to the mountains. She used to hike a lot before she got sick, and enjoys any chance she has to go to the mountains, even if she can't hike
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

foxxymomma50 is offline Master Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtlady4LE View Post
    The gift that keeps on giving...my daughter.
    I agree! Both of my kids running up to me hugging me and smiling makes me happy to be a mother! That's the best gift I can receive....just seeing them happy!

You have no idea. It's the little things that count.
    I would MUCH rather the little home made cards that my children make. They are more special and personal to me. Something that takes thought and time. Something from their thoughts.
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious."

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

ninjamom is offline Officer First Class
    I agree about the handmade cards. My kids still make them every year, even though they are 12 and 13 years old, and they are far better than anything Hallmark can make!

But my all-time favorite is hearing my kids say, "I love you, Mom."
    "Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill." - My Dad

Nine out of ten voices in my head say, "Pull the trigger."

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post

Mother's Day makes me sad because it reminds me of how I never did enough for my mother while she was still alive. As a child I just gave her Mother's Day cards that our teachers at school helped us make out of construction paper. After I moved away for college, every year around Mother's Day I spent a few minutes drawing childish doodles of flowers and animals and "Happy Mother's Day" on a blank piece of computer printer paper, and mailed it to her. I didn't think much of it--I thought it was just a cheap and quick way to fulfill an obligation, and she seemed to like it.

After she died and I looked through her things, I found all of my casually handmade cards carefully stored with her best jewelry and family heirlooms. I guess they meant more to her than I knew. I wish I had done more for her on Mother's Days and all other days, but I'm glad that at least I spent those few minutes each year doing something that made her happy.
    Hell when I was a kid every thing I did was the best thing in the world acording to her.

That's what makes Moms special.

Not to be confused with females who give birth.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggybank Cop View Post
    Hell when I was a kid every thing I did was the best thing in the world acording to her.

That's what makes Moms special.

Not to be confused with females who give birth.

That's right, Piggybank. Lol, my mom still has and uses a vase (made out of a glass Coke bottle and contact paper) that I made for her when I was five or so.

She gives cards and flowers to us every Mother's Day because she says it's because of us that she's able to celebrate the holiday. And to thank us for being good kids.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Mother fucker!

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Mother fucker!
    That's the spirit!

dapples is offline Swamp Kitty
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I wish I had done more for her

The best gift? Being there when she needed someone to protect and fight for her when she couldnt anymore...

Jenna.....we all have regrets....

This is my first Mother's Day without my Mom.....I miss her every day....I did and said things I regret and regret things I didnt say and do...through it all...one constant....not our understanding of the other.....not our acceptance of all our differences...BUT our unfaltering love for each other....no matter what.....

RIP, Mother dear....You were the glue.....that held the family together.....
    Always,
    Daughter

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    The best gift is watching my son grow and learn with each passing day.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Before my mom passed away she was a Cubs fan even though i liked the Sox. She was a fan for 20 years but never been to a game. So I got us the best seats in the house one night. You should of seen her big smile, the Cubs even won that night. The best picture of my mom and I was taken at that game. HAPPY MOTHERS DAY MOM, I really miss you.
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    yesterday i gave my mom a 37" vizio high definition flat screen lcd television for mothers day...that trounces a hand made card
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Thanks for your beautiful posts about your mothers, your children, and your Mother's Days, and also for the jokes, which show that nothing is to sacred to be subject to cop humor . Mother's Days have been hard for me after my mother died, but you cheered me up.
    Last edited by Jenna; 05-15-07 at 09:09 PM.

Thread Information