Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.

Question How do you cuff him?

Armless, One-Legged Driver Leads Chase
    By Associated Press
    Thu May 10, 6:19 PM

NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla. - Authorities were led on a high speed vehicle chase by an armless, one-legged man, and they said this wasn't the first time the 40-year-old eluded police.

Michael Francis Wiley taught himself to drive after losing both arms and a leg in an electrical accident when he was 13. He spent time in prison for kicking a Florida Highway Patrol trooper after an accident in 1996. He led police on a 120 mph chase in 1998.

On Tuesday, Wiley sped off in a Ford Explorer when police approached him at a convenience store, New Port Richey police Capt. Darryl Garman said. Officers pursued, but called off the chase after eight minutes because they did not want to put others in danger, Garman said.

Wiley was arrested the next day on charges of fleeing from police and habitually driving without a license. He also is awaiting trial on separate drug charges and traffic violations. He faces up to five years in prison if convicted.

Defense attorney John Hooker said his client has paid off previous traffic fines that got his license suspended and tried to get a new driver's license, but he was rebuffed by state officials. Wiley's license has been revoked so many times it is now a felony to drive.

"What makes him do it?" Hooker said when asked why Wiley keeps getting behind the wheel. "I think it's an urge he has that makes him feel as important and as good as anyone. It gives him a sense of self-esteem."

Hooker said he had not had a chance to talk to Wiley about the most recent charges.

Even before Wednesday's arrest, prosecutors were seeking to send Wiley to prison for at least five years for felony drug and traffic charges.

"He has a hideous record," Assistant State Attorney Mike Halkitis said after an August 2006 arrest. "It's just got to end."

Wiley was being held in the Pasco County jail on $500,000 bond.

___

Information from: St. Petersburg Times, http://www.sptimes.com
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

slick628 is offline Rollin' Deep
    Verified LEO
    I don't think cuffing him is the first thing that comes to mind...I want to know how in the world he turns the steering wheel.
    "That's how we roll"

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by slick628 View Post
    I don't think cuffing him is the first thing that comes to mind...I want to know how in the world he turns the steering wheel.
    His knee maybe? I know I can do that, but it's difficult. Guess it also depends on where his leg is amputated...
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I wouldn't handcuff him, I'd shackle his only leg to the back of his pants through the belt loop. That would keep him, I'm sure. (Thats how we cuff 1 armed guys)
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by tjpuclik2 View Post
    I wouldn't handcuff him, I'd shackle his only leg to the back of his pants through the belt loop. That would keep him, I'm sure. (Thats how we cuff 1 armed guys)
    Just be careful, I've seen belt loops tear off when people do that.

How would I handcuff him? I wouldn't. I'd pick his ass up and chuck him in the back of my car. If he continued to show his ass, I'd put my leg strap around his one good leg.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by slick628 View Post
    A news story I saw said he jams the longer arm stump in the steering wheel and turns it by leaning his body.

Thread Information