Welcome to the APBWeb.
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Ghosts

  1. #1
    Cidp24's Avatar
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    07-17-06
    Location
    Crossroads of the Sunny South
    Posts
    8,131
    Rep Power
    3999638

    Ghosts

    I posted this in a Verifed LEO only section back in February. A member suggested I post it in a public area so here it is.

    An LEO wrote this. Thought I'd share it.

    GHOSTS

    Someone asked me the other day if I believed in ghosts. I said I wasn’t sure but then I started thinking about it and I realized that I see ghosts every day in my job. They all seem to hang around in the same places and I see them every time I pass those places.

    There’s the 16-year-old girl lying just off the roadway of a National Parkway next to a crumpled car that is resting against a huge pine tree. This ghost is covered by an old bedspread that someone got out of a car. When the sheet is pulled away from her face, there’s not a mark on it. She is beautiful and she looks like she is asleep, as if a gentle shake of her shoulder will bring her back to life but it won’t. That ghost appears every time I hear the Kenny Chesney song “Who You’d be Today”.

    When I pass a certain oak tree on a residential street, I see the ghost of a man in his early 20’s lying at the base of the tree. He has eight bullet wounds and he is gasping for breath. I’ve heard that sound before and I know that he will not live. His daughters, who are pre-teen, are standing nearby crying. They were walking with him when he was shot.

    Then there is a certain curve in a road where I see many ghosts. The man who hit another car head on and burned to death as I watched because his body was pinned and no one could get him out, the young kid who’s truck struck a guardrail and overturned, ejecting him into another guardrail. I can still smell the smell of an alcoholic drink in the air around that one when I pass.

    When I pass a certain retirement home, I see the ghost of an old man who is in a wheelchair in a bathroom. There is an unbelievable amount of congealed blood on the floor from his slit wrists. I keep thinking how he died alone and so sad on the first year anniversary of his wife’s death. I can’t get the picture out of my head of him rolling into the bathroom in the middle of the night and getting the razor blade.

    When I go down one street, I see two ghosts. One is a woman lying in the street with gunshot wounds to the head and chest. One of the wounds is to her left eye but her glasses are still on, undamaged. I think how strange that seems. Her dad, who was with her asks me if she is going to be OK and I have to tell him that she isn’t ever going to be OK again. Her estranged husband is in a nearby yard with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. His shirt is pulled up a bit and I see something on his chest just under the shirt. I lift the shirt and see that he has a picture of their four-year-old child taped to his chest.

    You ask if I believe in ghosts. Yes, these are just a few of them that I see everyday. I’m a police officer.
    *************************
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    *************************
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)


    Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

  2. #2
    ninjamom's Avatar
    ninjamom is offline Officer First Class
    Join Date
    12-08-06
    Location
    No. Va.
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    2540
    Thanks for sharing this with us non-LEOs. It's very touching.

    How about the rest of you? Have you seen or felt ghosts?
    "Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill." - My Dad

    Nine out of ten voices in my head say, "Pull the trigger."

  3. #3
    rob84's Avatar
    rob84 is offline Did you press the power button?
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    01-19-07
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,008
    Rep Power
    352437
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    I posted this in a Verifed LEO only section back in February. A member suggested I post it in a public area so here it is.

    An LEO wrote this. Thought I'd share it.

    GHOSTS

    Someone asked me the other day if I believed in ghosts. I said I wasn’t sure but then I started thinking about it and I realized that I see ghosts every day in my job. They all seem to hang around in the same places and I see them every time I pass those places.

    There’s the 16-year-old girl lying just off the roadway of a National Parkway next to a crumpled car that is resting against a huge pine tree. This ghost is covered by an old bedspread that someone got out of a car. When the sheet is pulled away from her face, there’s not a mark on it. She is beautiful and she looks like she is asleep, as if a gentle shake of her shoulder will bring her back to life but it won’t. That ghost appears every time I hear the Kenny Chesney song “Who You’d be Today”.

    When I pass a certain oak tree on a residential street, I see the ghost of a man in his early 20’s lying at the base of the tree. He has eight bullet wounds and he is gasping for breath. I’ve heard that sound before and I know that he will not live. His daughters, who are pre-teen, are standing nearby crying. They were walking with him when he was shot.

    Then there is a certain curve in a road where I see many ghosts. The man who hit another car head on and burned to death as I watched because his body was pinned and no one could get him out, the young kid who’s truck struck a guardrail and overturned, ejecting him into another guardrail. I can still smell the smell of an alcoholic drink in the air around that one when I pass.

    When I pass a certain retirement home, I see the ghost of an old man who is in a wheelchair in a bathroom. There is an unbelievable amount of congealed blood on the floor from his slit wrists. I keep thinking how he died alone and so sad on the first year anniversary of his wife’s death. I can’t get the picture out of my head of him rolling into the bathroom in the middle of the night and getting the razor blade.When I go down one street, I see two ghosts. One is a woman lying in the street with gunshot wounds to the head and chest. One of the wounds is to her left eye but her glasses are still on, undamaged. I think how strange that seems. Her dad, who was with her asks me if she is going to be OK and I have to tell him that she isn’t ever going to be OK again. Her estranged husband is in a nearby yard with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. His shirt is pulled up a bit and I see something on his chest just under the shirt. I lift the shirt and see that he has a picture of their four-year-old child taped to his chest.

    You ask if I believe in ghosts. Yes, these are just a few of them that I see everyday. I’m a police officer.
    All of these stories are very upsetting, but this one REALLY got to me.

    www.twitter.com/RobKimble1984
    www.facebook.com/robkimble

  4. #4
    lewisipso's Avatar
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    02-02-07
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    14,721
    Rep Power
    6936012
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjamom View Post
    Thanks for sharing this with us non-LEOs. It's very touching.

    How about the rest of you? Have you seen or felt ghosts?
    Yeah.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

    We are who we choose to be.

    R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012


  5. #5
    EvilPit's Avatar
    EvilPit is offline Dog Eat Dog World
    Join Date
    05-08-07
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0
    I haven’t worn the shield that long, but I just realized that I have seen some of the same ghosts. It puts things into perspective!! GOOD ONE Cid!!

  6. #6
    smokey703's Avatar
    smokey703 is offline I'm Bi-WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-15-07
    Location
    225 ya heard
    Posts
    1,237
    Rep Power
    462332
    Not trying to be funny but I see one everyday when I look in the mirror and put this uniform on.
    Wise men stand behind me, brave men stand beside me, but only fools stand against me.

    The force that propels you to prevail when you are put to a test of survival will be a mindset that refuses to accept nothing but winning.

    Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to reach out and bitch slap that motherf*cker upside the head.

  7. #7
    Cidp24's Avatar
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    07-17-06
    Location
    Crossroads of the Sunny South
    Posts
    8,131
    Rep Power
    3999638
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey703 View Post
    Not trying to be funny but I see one everyday when I look in the mirror and put this uniform on.
    You mean the ghost of who you were before the job?
    Never thought about that if thats what you mean but even if not, it still triggers some thought.
    *************************
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    *************************
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)


    Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

  8. #8
    smokey703's Avatar
    smokey703 is offline I'm Bi-WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-15-07
    Location
    225 ya heard
    Posts
    1,237
    Rep Power
    462332
    Not just that, but I was recently involved in an incident in which I had to take a life to keep my own.
    Wise men stand behind me, brave men stand beside me, but only fools stand against me.

    The force that propels you to prevail when you are put to a test of survival will be a mindset that refuses to accept nothing but winning.

    Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to reach out and bitch slap that motherf*cker upside the head.

  9. #9
    lewisipso's Avatar
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    02-02-07
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    14,721
    Rep Power
    6936012
    Rule #1 buddy. You're still here with us.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

    We are who we choose to be.

    R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012


  10. #10
    Ducky's Avatar
    Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    12-05-05
    Location
    Handbasket, enroute to somewhere hot.
    Posts
    11,108
    Rep Power
    7439165
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Rule #1 buddy. You're still here with us.
    +1 - Always go home at the end of shift. If it's you or him, make sure it's him.

    Glad you found us.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q


  11. #11
    jmur5074's Avatar
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,051
    Rep Power
    6232622
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey703 View Post
    Not just that, but I was recently involved in an incident in which I had to take a life to keep my own.
    I'm glad your ok.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

    "The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

    We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-08-07, 09:46 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •