Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: This Was Nuts!

carolina is offline Master Officer

This Was Nuts!

Okay, went to Myrtle Beach last week, it was Harley week I had never been down on bike week and we had a blast! Lots of fun. I've never seen so many bikes in my life, it was great.

Okay the nuts part.... we decided we wanted to drink some cheerleader beers as my son calls it ... lol, one evening we were sitting around the hotel pool ... so we go to the grocery store to buy some Grape Smirnoff Ice it was me and my daughter and my daughter is 18 and NO she is not drinking my friend and I are, anyway my daughter was driving me around she still likes to do that ... lol and has the "hot" car ... lol ....

Long story short the clerk in the grocery store asks her for her ID i'm like wtf?!? I said it is not for her I am buying this ... she told me that it was SC law that a minor could not be with you when you purchased alcohol? wtf? I've never heard of that before .... I know there are people from SC here ... is that true? I could see the advantages to that in some cases .... but geese .... we just went down the road and i bought it at the next grocery store ... how stupid ... it is not like I was buying it for my child .... I was buying it for myself.

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I have my daughter with me all the time when I buy alcohol, she even goes into the liquor store with me. I've never, ever heard of that, and I've been in SC since 1982. I think the clerk was full of shit.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Here in Oklahoma you can't even take a child of any age into a liquor store. Or anyone under the age of 21. Wine, Hard Liquor, and any beer over 3.2&#37; is sold in a Liquor store. I tried to buy a bottle of wine and was told that my 2 yr old had to wait outside. It's kind of stupid. But then again this is Oklahoma. LOL

And as for what happend to you at the super market. I had that happen to me while in California. My wife and I are the same age but she is Asian and looks alot younger than she is. I tried to buy a bottle of wine and since she only had a military ID and a Out of State DL we were not allowed to purchase.
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    The clerk probably thought you were buying it "for" her....and that you really weren't "with" her.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I have my daughter with me all the time when I buy alcohol, she even goes into the liquor store with me. I've never, ever heard of that, and I've been in SC since 1982. I think the clerk was full of shit.
    Ducky, that is what I was thinking too, but I didn't have a choice but to go with it. Short of creating a scene and it wasn't worth all that. They sure didn't mind serving me alcohol at Broadway on the Beach while my daughter drank virgin sodas or ice tea ... go figure ...
    Last edited by carolina; 05-24-07 at 08:59 AM.

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    I remember when I was 21 I went to Myrtle Beach, SC. I went into the liquor store and they required like 2 forms of ID. Then they took my picture! I have never seen a place that was like the Inqusition when buying beer. I found it quite odd, but I guess they have an underage problem.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

I'm not sure if it's a law or what the deal is here in Michigan. I know that when I'm with someone like my dad they're fine with the sale, but if I'm with a friend doing grocery shopping and they're 21 and decide to pick up a case of beer I have to go to a different check out because even if we look like we're together or know each other and I'm a minor they won't sell it to them.

It makes sense in a way, but it's just another one of those things that makes life harder for everyone because of the stupidity of some.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Here in VA they'll ask for IDs from everyone present if buying alcohol. At least that's the idea.

smokey703 is offline I'm Bi-WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Verified LEO
    In Louisiana my two year old can buy a fifth of jack while holding my 5 mth. old, well atleast in the part of La. that I live in.
    Wise men stand behind me, brave men stand beside me, but only fools stand against me.

The force that propels you to prevail when you are put to a test of survival will be a mindset that refuses to accept nothing but winning.

Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to reach out and bitch slap that motherf*cker upside the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    Here in VA they'll ask for IDs from everyone present if buying alcohol. At least that's the idea.
    And if anyone is underage, is it a no-sale? Is this a new law?

To my knowledge they don't do this in NC so it is new to me.
    Last edited by carolina; 05-24-07 at 12:39 PM.

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    had that happen to me in tx. i was 24 and my wife was 14. we had to go to a different store.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

blackcamaro8895 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    had that happen to me in tx. i was 24 and my wife was 14. we had to go to a different store.
    I just laughed so hard i pissed myself

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Same thing can happen in NC, Carolina. The way that it is set up by ALE, if there is a chance that the alcohol is not going to go to someone in majority, you ain't supposed to sell. Most states also have the law set-up so that the clerk can refuse to sell for any reason or no reason. We have a couple clerks in town that do the same thing to people all the time. Cracks me up because of the reactions.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    While inconvenient for some itís nothing new. Some clerks use their discretion when it comes to this and I think itís good when they do. I am a little older now but Iíve had this happen to me when a buddy and I went to the store to buy beer. I had my ID on me and he didnít so they refused to sell to me. Didnít happen very often. If you were buying alcohol with your 5 year old Iím sure they would leave you alone.
    There is most likely law regarding this (Iím not sure out here although I should beÖ) Itís probably just ignored. Some establishments or clerks I guess just choose to follow it.
    You can look up your state liquor laws and probably find it.

If it not a law then the store probably worried about liability.
    Last edited by Caveman; 05-24-07 at 02:21 PM.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Same thing can happen in NC, Carolina. The way that it is set up by ALE, if there is a chance that the alcohol is not going to go to someone in majority, you ain't supposed to sell. Most states also have the law set-up so that the clerk can refuse to sell for any reason or no reason. We have a couple clerks in town that do the same thing to people all the time. Cracks me up because of the reactions.
    It's true, I learn something new everyday ... I never knew this, but then again I don't buy a lot of alcohol either. Only once in a blue moon so to speak ... kewl, thanks for sharing everyone! Yes, my reaction was like wtf?!?

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina View Post
    It's true, I learn something new everyday ... I never knew this, but then again I don't buy a lot of alcohol either. Only once in a blue moon so to speak ... kewl, thanks for sharing everyone! Yes, my reaction was like wtf?!?
    That was my reaction to half the "blue laws" down here. Still makes me swear when I can't buy the kinds of liquor I want down here.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The store I normally go to even gives my kid lolipops.. and no, not the tequilla flavored ones, either.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    We have regular details to bust businesses that are selling/serving to underage customers.

You can always expect increased enforcement around any special events that attract large crowds.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

PDawg, that makes sense to me, i just wasn't expecting that. I guess maybe if I had been buying traditional beer ... i.e. michelobe or corona or something like that maybe it would have been different too. I kind of like the grape taste ... lol

It's all my son's fault, the last time he was home from Ft. Campbell for the weekend he left 1 or 2 in my frig ... that was his girlfriends. I laughed when he called them "cheerleader" beers ... but instead of letting them go bad ... I had to try them out "PUI" ... and they were pretty good! I don't drink much but I felt just one of them!

Yeah, I know ... thats either a sign of old age or of being a wus

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey703 View Post
    In Louisiana my two year old can buy a fifth of jack while holding my 5 mth. old, well atleast in the part of La. that I live in.
    Hahahahah! Yeah ya right! You beat me to it.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information