Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class

Global Warming Farce

Hey, I might have posted this before, but if you haven't seen it before please watch it. And if you've seen the Inconvenient Goof, oops I mean Truth, I beg you to watch it.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...62022478442170

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    I don't need convincing. The Global Warming Myth is just something for the democrats to use to get votes.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    Not just to get votes, but also to come up with new and exciting ways to control every aspect of our lives.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    Save the world.....Drain the ocean.
    By the way i have never seen that one before it was really interesting but if your gonna watch it set aside about an hour and fifteen mins

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by BEK320 View Post
    Save the world.....Drain the ocean.
    By the way i have never seen that one before it was really interesting but if your gonna watch it set aside about an hour and fifteen mins

I don't have that kind of patience. Especially for BS.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    I didn't watch it... but I have to side with the Global Warming side of this debate. Nature has provided plenty of examples to support that fact that things are becoming quite messed up these days.

I can't imagine that a combination of: 1) deforestation 2) severe use of fossil fuels, and 3) depletion of the ozone layer hasn't played some part in the changes in our global climate.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Hard to know what's real. Too much hyperbole all around.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    What I don't understand, is the level of anger people seem to feel, who don't want to admit that Global Warming is a possibility.

What's up with that?

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I grew up in an era when there were PSA's about the loss of top soil, and how every American had a duty to plant trees to protect an essential resource.

We often talk about the "Greatest Generation," and it's usually about the soldiers who fought in WWII. We forget that it was the many sacrifices made by those at home that made winning the war possible.

Have you ever heard about "Victory Gardens?" The government encouraged Americans to grow their own vegetables, so that commercial growers could focus on providing for the military. During WWII, 80% of fresh produce consumed in the home was grown in local Victory Gardens. Pretty impressive.

How would our generation deal with ration tickets for meat, sugar, flour and gas? Would we recycle for war? How much would you give up?

My grandmother and her friends, put dermablend make-up on their legs, and drew seams with eyebrow pencils up the back. They gave up stockings for the war.

They pooled their ration tickets, and one would do all the baking, another all the roasting. They car-pooled. They did all this as their patriotic duty.

The "Greatest Generation" recycled just about everything. Not because they were granola eating hippies, but because they believed it would help win the war.

We not only throw everything out, we make a big stink when someone suggests that we might be making a big mess.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradocop View Post
    I didn't watch it... but I have to side with the Global Warming side of this debate. Nature has provided plenty of examples to support that fact that things are becoming quite messed up these days.

I can't imagine that a combination of: 1) deforestation 2) severe use of fossil fuels, and 3) depletion of the ozone layer hasn't played some part in the changes in our global climate.
    Deforestation is a bad thing, one volcano eruption equals the same amount of CO2 released by the worlds automobiles.

As for climate change it takes years (centuries) to cause the changes we are seeing today.

For those of you who haven't watched it. Watch the first 15 minutes and decide from there.

Or, stick your heads in the sand and let special interest groups driven completely by money dictate your thoughts.

Like I said before... I challenge you to watch this. (or at least 15 minutes worth)

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    What I don't understand, is the level of anger people seem to feel, who don't want to admit that Global Warming is a possibility.
    What you need to understand, PDawg, is that many of use aren't disputing Global Warming being a possibility. What we are disputing is that it's an unnatural occurance caused by man.

Globally speaking, 4 seasons are a relatively new thing to our planet. In prehistoric times, our planet would typically have a cold seaso and a hot season (much like Georgia has now ) and that was it- with the occasional ice age thrown in.

For all we know, the weather patterns we are seeing today- and have been seeing- are natural, and there is no real evidence to the contrary.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    What you need to understand, PDawg, is that many of use aren't disputing Global Warming being a possibility. What we are disputing is that it's an unnatural occurance caused by man.

Globally speaking, 4 seasons are a relatively new thing to our planet. In prehistoric times, our planet would typically have a cold seaso and a hot season (much like Georgia has now ) and that was it- with the occasional ice age thrown in.

For all we know, the weather patterns we are seeing today- and have been seeing- are natural, and there is no real evidence to the contrary.

+1. I agree that there are some odd weather changes, but really, how long has man been recording weather and climate changes? For arguements sake, lets say 3000 years. That is a drop in the bucket when compared to the 25 million years or so that the earth has been turning. I agree we can do a lot to not aggrivate the situation, but lets not try to use climate changes as a springboard for political agendas and special interest groups.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    PDawg, my grandmother would tell me about being poor during WWII, not even having the proverbial pot to pee in. She worked as a riveter and lived near the base, close enough that the bombing range was just about in her backyard. To practice targeting, instead of dropping bombs, they would drop sacks of flour. Sometimes the sacks wouldn't totally explode on impact, and she would sneak out and gather them up so she could make bread for the family to eat. She used to tell me that only rich, spoiled kids were picky eaters, the rest of the world eats what is put in front of them and is glad to get it. She had a garden and would go fishing, and that's how they survived.

Sorry, a bit OT, I know, but it just makes you wonder when everything changed.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post

Bingo!!!

There have also been many times in history where the world was much hotter than it is today. (And there were no cars around at the time)

Much of this is explained in the "Swindle".

As well as, how the environmental movement pretty much won, and because of that had to take their protests and "cause" to a new level in order to continue their existence.

Well Rhino, I'm old enough to remember when the Cuyahoga River was on fire.

I'm old enough to remember when the smog from LA was visible in San Diego. I moved to San Diego in 1974, so it wasn't that long ago.

I grew up on stories of Donora, Pennsylvania- when smog killed people.

I've seen how the Clean Water/Clean Air Acts have changed the quality of our environment for the better. I grew up in a town with a steel foundry, and saw the smoke change from black to white. I saw fish come back to a lake, when the paper mill started cooling/filtering their discharge water.

Yes, weather has natural cycles. But humans play a part, and we can't get off easy by blaming cows and volcanos.

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Global warming is no longer a science, it's a cult. Scientests who have had the nerve to disagree with the global warming kooks have recieved death threats.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    Well Rhino, I'm old enough to remember when the Cuyahoga River was on fire.

I'm old enough to remember when the smog from LA was visible in San Diego. I moved to San Diego in 1974, so it wasn't that long ago.

I grew up on stories of Donora, Pennsylvania- when smog killed people.

I've seen how the Clean Water/Clean Air Acts have changed the quality of our environment for the better. I grew up in a town with a steel foundry, and saw the smoke change from black to white. I saw fish come back to a lake, when the paper mill started cooling/filtering their discharge water.

Yes, weather has natural cycles. But humans play a part, and we can't get off easy by blaming cows and volcanos.
    Did you watch the movie?

Verified LEO
    okay, so everyone is talking about how special interest groups are responsible for a "global warming myth".

Let me ask this: If global warming wasn't happening, then what possible agenda do these "special interests" have? I'm sorry, but the real special interest agenda sits with those who try to convince us that we can pollute and consume natural resources without any consequence. Changing our way of life is hard (both physically and economically). I can't buy the idea that the "democrats" just want us to do it for shits and giggles, or to watch us suffer. But I can whole heartedly believe that the oil/gas/logging industry has an agenda in convincing people that their activities don't harm the environment on a global scale (just like every time I hear an Excursion driving soccer mom tell me how we can't effect the planet -- In other words, if you are just trying to explain away your habits it doesn't validate it as science!!).

I'm sorry guys, but I kind of have to go with the majority of the scientific community on this. While I agree that there is certainly a lot we don't know about our climate, I can also see how we are impacting our environment every day. We may not be the sole contributor to climatic change, but I think we are a significant factor... Lets take the fight over CFC's for example (the whole ozone layer argument from a decade ago). We stopped using CFC's, despite many protests at the time, and the ozone layer shown measurable improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Cst.SB View Post
    Did you watch the movie?
    I didn't watch either movie.

I don't trust anyone with an agenda, on either side of the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradocop View Post
    okay, so everyone is talking about how special interest groups are responsible for a "global warming myth".
    Why is all this happening? Because of money. If you want to study owl mating habits there is no funding. If you want to study the effects of global warming on owls mating habits you'll get a truck full of it.

There are tens of thousands of jobs, industries, and businesses that solely exist on the premise of "Global Warming".

Take the Kyoto Accord, does it actually reduce "emissions"? No, not one bit. Because if you're country doesn't reduce it's emissions, it can buy credits from an udner developed country. It's the biggest scam going.

In effect what Kyoto is set up to do is keep under developed countries on a environmental social welfare scheme. Give them cash so #1 they don't become industrialized polute, and the bigger #2 so they don't provide cheap labor and still more jobs/production companies.

As for the ozone, thankfully it's self healing.

I am also all for recycling, conservation, creating huge parks to save old growth forests, anti-whaling, cleaner fuels (ending our reliance on oil), better air quality, wind and tidal power, etc. I think you'd be nuts not to want these things. I think there are realist localized health issues related to pollution.

Do I think we are changing the climate? Not one bit.

30 years ago we were headed for global cooling and that didn't happen. If you watch the movie they do a great job of explaining the thing Al Gore spoke half truths about. And you hear it from the mouths of the actual scientists.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cst.SB View Post
    one volcano eruption equals the same amount of CO2 released by the worlds automobiles.
    Over what time period? I honestly don't see this, and some research I did on the subject doesn't show this either.

I've read quite a few articles stating that volcanos contribute to roughly 1-3% of our total pollution... vehicle pollution is a far greater factor in pollution, according to this point of view.

Surely one major volcanic eruption has a huge impact, but how often do we have these major events, as compared to the 24/7-365 pollution we cause? I think it is important to consider pollution over the long term, rather than looking at one event and the effect it has over a period of only several months.

The only arguments I saw that pointed to volcanos being a larger factor in our environment were on internet forums (and as much as I like these forums, I'm still not quite willing to accept them as scientific fact ).

Still, even if I were to play devil's advocate on this one... we can argue that nature's balance has been thrown off by our behavior. I won't dispute that there is some natural pollution in our environment, but I can't imagine that anyone would honestly argue that there isn't also man-made pollution!

I still need to watch the posted video, as I haven't had time to yet... I'll report back again after I view it (probably after work tonight).

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information