Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1. #1
    Illiy is offline Corporal
    Join Date
    05-27-07
    Posts
    1,490
    Rep Power
    202201

    I just got my letter....

    I have been waiting for my you past your test dork letter... and it came today! I am off to the next phase of testing next weekend for LAPD...

    Los Angeles Sheriffs Department is next on my list!


    Side note... did anyone have extreme family opposition when they got hired? My mom hates the idea and it is making things very difficult. .. I dont know what to do anymore, we can't even talk to each other about jobs/testing anything. I am bummed, but I will do it with or without her... but support is always nice....

  2. #2
    121Traffic's Avatar
    121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    01-09-06
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,547
    Rep Power
    6332978
    Is that you in your avatar? Do you watch the Shield?
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

  3. #3
    jmur5074's Avatar
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,047
    Rep Power
    6232607
    Good job, and good luck!!


    And as many people will probably tell you, this job is almost like a "calling".

    Some people get into it just because it's a job, but they don't last long, or turn very bitter. And some turn very bitter anyway. I'm still new....I haven't gotten a chance to be bitter yet.

    Whether you mom likes it or not, you gotta do what you gotta do. You need to pick a profession where YOU will be happy. You can't go through your entire life unhappy with your job just because it makes momma happy. And she'll probably be sore for awhile, but when she realizes her daughter is a keeper of the peace, and a protector for the innocent, weak, and drunk (I'm not a poet, cut me some slack) I'm sure her disapproval for your job will change.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

    "The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

    We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

  4. #4
    BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Join Date
    11-27-06
    Posts
    1,838
    Rep Power
    0
    Congrats, Illy.

    Just find other things to talk to mum about for now. But keep talking, even if its just about the weather and Aunt Sarah's gardening addiction for the time being.

  5. #5
    Resident Smart Ass's Avatar
    Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    06-05-06
    Location
    Once a New Yawker, Always a New Yawker
    Posts
    5,456
    Rep Power
    1532833
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiy View Post
    I have been waiting for my you past your test dork letter... and it came today! I am off to the next phase of testing next weekend for LAPD...

    Los Angeles Sheriffs Department is next on my list!


    Side note... did anyone have extreme family opposition when they got hired? My mom hates the idea and it is making things very difficult. .. I dont know what to do anymore, we can't even talk to each other about jobs/testing anything. I am bummed, but I will do it with or without her... but support is always nice....
    Congrats You!

    It'll be all worth the wait

    And I also had opposition from my family but now they're very happy and very supprotive of me.
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

    You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.


    FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS



    A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON



  6. #6
    conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-16-06
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,406
    Rep Power
    4019271
    Congratulations, Illiy. I have no doubt you will do well. Like I told you the other day, you are about to join the biggest family there is. You get a little taste of that here, that is why I enjoy LEF so much. These are my brothers and sisters here. That does not mean that your personal family is not important, as BEB so rightly said. This does mean, however, that when you have doubts or fears, we'll be here to listen and to help you work through them. No one here will carry you, but anytime you need help, that is what being blue is all about. Personally, I see you as being far too dedicated and focused to let this whole thing slide, but I will agree tha it sucks without the support.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

  7. #7
    Cheech Guest
    hey GL with LAPD I have to take a psych for them! I look forward to getting on their soon. Where in Claremont are you from ? I used to live there

  8. #8
    iso607's Avatar
    iso607 is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    04-06-07
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,083
    Rep Power
    693088
    Congratulations

  9. #9
    Jenna's Avatar
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    06-11-06
    Posts
    24,147
    Rep Power
    4764592
    Congratulations!

  10. #10
    Beans's Avatar
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-01-06
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,319
    Rep Power
    5208295
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiy View Post
    I have been waiting for my you past your test dork letter... and it came today! I am off to the next phase of testing next weekend for LAPD...

    Los Angeles Sheriffs Department is next on my list!


    Side note... did anyone have extreme family opposition when they got hired? My mom hates the idea and it is making things very difficult. .. I dont know what to do anymore, we can't even talk to each other about jobs/testing anything. I am bummed, but I will do it with or without her... but support is always nice....
    My wife hates that I am a cop and makes it know to me all the time. So I feel your pain.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

  11. #11
    Cheech Guest
    Beans i know the feeling my gf too.

  12. #12
    rob84's Avatar
    rob84 is offline Did you press the power button?
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    01-19-07
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,008
    Rep Power
    352422
    Good luck to you, you are in for an interesting ride . The application process is one that you will NEVER forget.

    www.twitter.com/RobKimble1984
    www.facebook.com/robkimble

  13. #13
    Sapper_132's Avatar
    Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-10-06
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,314
    Rep Power
    7084529
    Good luck,

    I feel your pain my ex-wife doesn't like the fact that this is the line of work that I want to do. She fears that my name may end up on the wall. But this is what I like to do.
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

  14. #14
    Beans's Avatar
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-01-06
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,319
    Rep Power
    5208295
    Quote Originally Posted by rob84 View Post
    Good luck to you, you are in for an interesting ride . The application process is one that you will NEVER forget.
    I got so lucky. I put in an app two months before I got out of the Army. They called me a few weeks later and said as soon as I get out to come and take the PT test. I did and 4 months later I was hired. I really feel for you guys that having been trying forever. I only filled out one app, but some guys I work with tried 2-3 times before they got on. I think the dept at the time was really short and being fresh out of the Army helped my chances.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

  15. #15
    Illiy is offline Corporal
    Join Date
    05-27-07
    Posts
    1,490
    Rep Power
    202201
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    Is that you in your avatar? Do you watch the Shield?
    Yes, and no.

  16. #16
    rob84's Avatar
    rob84 is offline Did you press the power button?
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    01-19-07
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,008
    Rep Power
    352422
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I got so lucky. I put in an app two months before I got out of the Army. They called me a few weeks later and said as soon as I get out to come and take the PT test. I did and 4 months later I was hired. I really feel for you guys that having been trying forever. I only filled out one app, but some guys I work with tried 2-3 times before they got on. I think the dept at the time was really short and being fresh out of the Army helped my chances.

    Damn man, congrats on getting hired the first time. Don't worry about those of us who are struggling a little, we will make it someday

    www.twitter.com/RobKimble1984
    www.facebook.com/robkimble

  17. #17
    Illiy is offline Corporal
    Join Date
    05-27-07
    Posts
    1,490
    Rep Power
    202201
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Good job, and good luck!!


    And as many people will probably tell you, this job is almost like a "calling".

    Some people get into it just because it's a job, but they don't last long, or turn very bitter. And some turn very bitter anyway. I'm still new....I haven't gotten a chance to be bitter yet.

    Whether you mom likes it or not, you gotta do what you gotta do. You need to pick a profession where YOU will be happy. You can't go through your entire life unhappy with your job just because it makes momma happy. And she'll probably be sore for awhile, but when she realizes her daughter is a keeper of the peace, and a protector for the innocent, weak, and drunk (I'm not a poet, cut me some slack) I'm sure her disapproval for your job will change.
    That is exactly how I feel, I get excited just at the thought. Each time I go on a ride along to check out a department, the next day I fine myself wishing I was there. It is all I have wanted to do, I have my degree *or will in the fall anyway* and have plenty to fall back on if it doesn't work. But I will not live my whole life wondering what if just because mom doesn't like it!

    Thanks for the encouragement!

  18. #18
    Illiy is offline Corporal
    Join Date
    05-27-07
    Posts
    1,490
    Rep Power
    202201
    Quote Originally Posted by BEB View Post
    Congrats, Illy.

    Just find other things to talk to mum about for now. But keep talking, even if its just about the weather and Aunt Sarah's gardening addiction for the time being.
    Thanks! I agree... no more talking about it!

  19. #19
    Illiy is offline Corporal
    Join Date
    05-27-07
    Posts
    1,490
    Rep Power
    202201
    Thanks for all the good thoughts! I am excited and I can't wait. It makes me feel better knowing that it can be done even without the support of those around you.

  20. #20
    Crimebytes2's Avatar
    Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    04-14-06
    Location
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Posts
    2,005
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiy View Post
    Thanks for all the good thoughts! I am excited and I can't wait. It makes me feel better knowing that it can be done even without the support of those around you.
    It can be done, but only YOU can do it! Congratulations! WTG!

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. letter in our local paper today
    By Pinki in forum General Topics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-31-06, 04:40 PM
  2. Barbie's and Ken's Letter to Santa
    By Resident Smart Ass in forum Shenanigans
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-17-06, 04:13 PM
  3. Dear Terrorist...an open letter
    By Doc_Holliday in forum General Topics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-15-06, 10:14 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-12-06, 09:54 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •