Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Own a scanner?

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?

Own a scanner?

I want to purchase a police scanner for at home. Kinda unsure on what kind to get.

I do know I need a trunking one.....but other than that, clueless. Anyone here own one? Use it much? Sites to share? I had someone send me a site called Scanners R Us, but their site is down right now.

Any and all info much appreciated!
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I think they are very pricey.

Ask your Supervisor if there is a handheld you can check out.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Don't waste your money. Once you get through your training and start listening to that stuff all day long, you'll come home and turn it off.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    Don't waste your money. Once you get through your training and start listening to that stuff all day long, you'll come home and turn it off.
    +1000
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Cheech Guest
    agreed

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    There are a few reasons against that idea. I made it a rule as soon as I came on the job that there would never be a scanner in my house. I don't want my wife/loved ones listening to me on the radio or listening to what happens. The radio gives such a distorted view of whats going on when you are listening from home. The second reason is because even when I get home now and shut the radio off, I can still here that sob in my mind until I go to sleep. There are times that I will be walking in the grocery store and someone will say something over the friggin PA and I'll tip my head so I can "hear my radio better". To hell with having that damn thing in my ear anymore than absolutely necessary. When I am home, they can dang well call me if they need me that bad.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Jim1348 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO

Scanner

I would suggest a Uniden Bearcat BCD996T if you want one for the home or vehicle. If you want a portable, then the Uniden Bearcat BCD396T is a good choice. Here are a few sites:

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/

http://www.strongsignals.net/index.cgi

http://www.uniden.com/index/home.cfm

http://www.usascan.com/

http://www.uniden.com/products/produ...ublic%20Safety

http://www.uniden.com/products/produ...product=BCD396
    T&filter=Public%20Safety

You may also want to consider amateur radio as a hobby. Although it does involve two way radio, nobody there is sending you on a knock down drag out domestic or a burglary.

http://www.arrl.org/

dapples is offline Swamp Kitty
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I listen to ours when Mav works nights......sometimes that is not a good thing.....
    The first thing Mav does when he gets off duty is turn it off...BUT...he does turn it on a half hour or so before he goes in to get a "feel" of what's going on....

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dapples View Post
    I listen to ours when Mav works nights......sometimes that is not a good thing.....
    The first thing Mav does when he gets off duty is turn it off...BUT...he does turn it on a half hour or so before he goes in to get a "feel" of what's going on....
    I have one and that's what I do with mine.

About an hour before I go to work I turn mine on and listen to what's going on. It gives me a feel for how the night is going, and let's me know if I'm walking into a giant shitstorm when I get to work.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I own an old Radio Shack Pro-95, and a newer Pro-97 handheld trunking scanners. I got them on sale for less than $200.

Both are pretty good - I've dropped the Pro95 on concrete several times and the thing keeps ticking. The Pro97 has a much better lighted display.

Both also have software and interface cables available that allow you to program the frequencies on your computer in a spreadsheet-like format, and upload it to the scanner.

One note of caution: Radio Shack sells the USB interface cable to the Pro-97, but the software drivers that they carry is NOT what you want - They're totally useless, I don't know why they even sell it.

The software you want is available at this site, and only costs $25:
    http://www.starrsoft.com/

The new version of Win97 for the Pro97 now supports direct import of frequencies from RadioReference.com so you don't have to do a lot of copy/pasting (which is flakey as all get-out in Win97), but I haven't tried the import feature yet.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 06-03-07 at 11:21 AM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    I have a Radio Shack Pro-95 scanner that I got used (in great shape) for $50. I can understand why you'd hate listening to a scanner after you've been on the job for awhile, but when you're first starting out it's a great way to learn you radio codes and phonetic alphabet. When I was an Explorer, I had the alphabet and codes memorized before my first ride-along, because I'd been listening to my scanner.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Con had one of the best reasons for NOT having one at home.

A friend of mine and her hubby had one, and she had a habit of listening to it when he was at work.

He was home for lunch when he got a call to respond to a disturbance involving one of their "regular customers". He got up and told her that he was going to go solve this problem once and for all. He responded to the location with another deputy and right after they arrived on scene, she heard (on the scanner) his backup call for an ambulance for an officer down.

She knew by the voice that it wasn't her hubby calling for the ambulance.

He couldn't. When the perp opened the door, he shot the deputy (her hub) in the head with no warning. He was DOA on the scene.

She already knew what all the Sheriff's cars pulling into her driveway a little while later were coming to tell her.

(RIP, Roy.)

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Claude Baulz is offline Officer First Class
    www.scannermaster.com for radios and guidebooks.

I work in an area with many, many (MANY!) different jurisdictions and it's very beneficial to be able to hear what's happening around me as I go from place to place. The ideal would be two-way communications but that's not possible, so listening is the next best thing.
    Never have so many owed so much to so few.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    I have a Pro-97 at handheld. It does what its suppose to do. I really don't even turn it on but maybe once or twice a month. As others have stated, I listen to my radio five days a week and really don't care about it when I get home. However its nice to be able to turn it on when I hear a bunch of sirens and such near my area (lets me know if I need keep my gun handy). Reason being is as Term can tell you, I live literally less than a mile or two from five different prisons.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    I've thought about getting one, only to listen to what is going on around this town. I don't have to worry about my wife hearing me, as we are too far away and the radio signal doesn't quite make it up here.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    I have a PRO-2018 200-Channel Desktop Scanner! I wanted a hand held one, but Radio Shack didn't have any in stock and I wasn't in the mood to drive across town and fight the crowds in the mall. I listen to it when I can, especially now that I know what district I live in.

I have had one for many many years , before cell phones existed and used the handheld , many times when i traveled ( some states its illegal to have it on in vehicle ) i had it on and would gather weather reports ahead and also it saved me many times from sitting in traffic due to an accident for hours . I also used it when asked to meet a former significant other at a certain place and if he got a call id know and could judge by the call whether to wait or not or listen to hear the key up mic code , two key ups meant wait , one meant dont or a couple other code indicators .

Their right about not wanting to hear it off duty and just before going on duty plus when on duty being able to hear other freqs around your area . ( City if your County and County if your City etc )helps give a heads up whats headed to your direction.

I feel for the wife cajun described , i have heard that kind of story several times unfortunately .

I agree with Jackalope also , it does help learn the codes and if you cant find them online on a scanner site , sometimes nicely asking with an explanation someone may get you a print off .

Right now , im looking for a good used decent priced trunking handheld , if anyone has any to sell .

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy View Post
    Con had one of the best reasons for NOT having one at home.

A friend of mine and her hubby had one, and she had a habit of listening to it when he was at work.

He was home for lunch when he got a call to respond to a disturbance involving one of their "regular customers". He got up and told her that he was going to go solve this problem once and for all. He responded to the location with another deputy and right after they arrived on scene, she heard (on the scanner) his backup call for an ambulance for an officer down.

She knew by the voice that it wasn't her hubby calling for the ambulance.

He couldn't. When the perp opened the door, he shot the deputy (her hub) in the head with no warning. He was DOA on the scene.

She already knew what all the Sheriff's cars pulling into her driveway a little while later were coming to tell her.

(RIP, Roy.)

How awful to find out that way.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I grew up with them in my house as my dad is also a cop. It was cool then to listen to, and even had one for a short while so I could get a feel for what was going on, or maybe even see what a disposition was on something that was going on when I left. I don't have it out anymore because I left it on one night when I left and the wife heard me in a pursuit, including me saying the guy was trying to ram me. From that point on she decided she hated my job, etc....so that coupled with the fact I just don't really care to listen to the radio since I already get it 8-10+ hours a day, it's packed away somewhere and I could care less if I find it.

Now I hardly have my Fire Department pager turned on because I'm home with the kids and unable to go. I'll just be pissy if I'm missing a fire.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    there is one thing to say about having a scanner,,,,,

NO Freaking Way!!!
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information