Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why tattoo?

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Why tattoo?

So those of you who have tattoos, what were your motivations for getting them? They seem to bring so many disadvantages (pain, expense, permanence, possible problems with employers and family members, possible limitations on clothing choice due to a need to cover them up). So what are the advantages they offer, and why do you think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Well there cool, all my friends have um why can't I?

J/K

I don't know, I can't have one. I got one when I turned 19 paid a good price for it too. But my skin rejected it and about 3 weeks later it was almost gone. I haven't tried again since.
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Perhaps it's a generation thing? My Father had tattoos as it was the done thing for sevicemen around 2nd World War. When he got old all you could see was an unrecognisable big black blob of what once was a peacock etc.

I don't and wouldn't want any body art or piercings, as I think they are pointless.

My sons, on the other hand, both have the family crest as a tattoo on their backs. Sad or what? Neither have piercings as they were told that while they lived in my house I would rip any earings etc off! Now they think I did a wise thing.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

rob84 is offline Did you press the power button?
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I was always interested in them growing up. Many of my uncles have them, and my biological father has them as well. When I turned 18 I really really wanted one, so I went into my local tattoo shop and looked around. I found so many things I wanted, so, I went home and thought about it. I went back the next day and got my first one. 4 years later, and 12 tattoos later, here I am They dont hurt nearly as much as people may think. Its more of an annoying pain at first, then you just go numb. Except the one on my chest, I will NEVER get another tattoo on my chest. That pain comes second ONLY to when my appendix ruptured.

www.twitter.com/RobKimble1984
    www.facebook.com/robkimble

Tony is offline Banned
    I've wanted one for 30 years but the unknown pain thing put me off. My daughter got one and so I knew it couldn't be that painful.

So I found a cetlic symbol I liked and put my 3 kids names around it and now its on my chest. Then I got two more and most likely will get a few more. The first one though is the most important one for me.

Cheech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tjpuclik2 View Post
    Well there cool, all my friends have um why can't I?

J/K

I don't know, I can't have one. I got one when I turned 19 paid a good price for it too. But my skin rejected it and about 3 weeks later it was almost gone. I haven't tried again since.
    I didnt know skin can reject it... thats weird is it completely gone??? Funny this topic came up we were talking about this yesterday. Im going to get one soon, my last name on my back shoulder blade. What do you guys think?

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    I think you'd be an idiot. But that's just me. I think the same about anybody that has one, I really can't understand why people do it. Anyway I thought it was you colonials that coined the name "Tramp Stamp" for tattoos?
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Tramp Stamp refers to a specific location - the lower back just above the buttocks.

As illustrated here :

I have three and will more then likely get another. I have one that has some real meaning the other were just kind of things I got at different points in my life. I think it just depends on the person you are and what you like and what you can live with.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

And in case you don't speak Latin.......If you want peace, prepare for war.

I've been places, seen and done things that would make most cry. I've fought along side and against better men then most I come across day to day, i've put my life on the line more then once for things you take for granted and for those you have lost respect for. I don't tell you this for your pity or respect but for you to remember me.

Cheech Guest
    Anyone besides Trojan?

Cheech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BEB View Post
    Tramp Stamp refers to a specific location - the lower back just above the buttocks.

As illustrated here :
    Now Id hit that!

Tony is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
    Now Id hit that!
    I'm guessing we all would!!!

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    I like my tattoos, they are mine and if somebody don't like em screw em.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    what were your motivations for getting them?
    Being in a foreign country and heavily intoxicated was my motivation when I got mine.... No regrets though

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Mine have meaning for me, even the ducky. My dragons are marital tattoos, hubby has them too. I'm in the planning stage of my next one, and I should have it within the year.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
    I didnt know skin can reject it... thats weird is it completely gone???

Yep completely,

I've been wanting to try it out again, but I'd be pissed if I spent another $100 bucks and it didn't take. Maybe I'll just get it branded??
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Yep completely,

I've been wanting to try it out again, but I'd be pissed if I spent another $100 bucks and it didn't take. Maybe I'll just get it branded??
    Not sure about that either. How elderly are ya? I was 23 when I layed my bike on my leg. Couple months of burn treatments (that plastic burn debriding brush is the best!), doc telling me I'd be crippled somehow if I didn't get skin grafts, (refused) pain and muscle weakness...fast forward - nothing left. Wish that'd only cost $100

These days I scar up much easier. I'm guessing that is age dependent.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I was 19 when I first tried to get one, now I'm 30. I'm hoping that due to age It may take this time, not sure though, might just have to spend the $100 buck to find out. After I get my new BUG 1st!

bayern is online now Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Tatoos

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Being in a foreign country and heavily intoxicated was my motivation when I got mine.... No regrets though
    Same here, but the Foreign Country (to me anyhow) was Ft Benning Ga and Norfolk, Va. Got them "bout 50 some yrs ago. I think the most I paid for one was around 5 bucks.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I was 19 when I first tried to get one, now I'm 30. I'm hoping that due to age It may take this time, not sure though, might just have to spend the $100 buck to find out. After I get my new BUG 1st!
    It could be that you are allergic to the inks.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information