Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Sponsors...

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO

Sponsors...

Ya know, I just checked out a few other police websites for kicks and ideas (I ain't scared to pirate shit) and I was suprised to see banners ads in a few of them. While I can appreciate that you need money to run the site, I would just like to thank Brad for not using corporate sponsors to help run the site. I also realize that is dependant on supporting members and a fairly large out of pocket expense from Brad. I guess maybe I am going to have to pony up some more dough, huh?
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    A clean look is a hallmark of LEF. I go to the local newspaper site only under protest now thanks to five ads on the frontpage as well as a popup. I count 25 ads on the frontpage and 11 displayed on the forum of one of those other police websites. How people can stand that is beyond me. To be able to load a site without getting a flashing banner in my face is quite refreshing.

On the other hand sponsorship doesn't need to be offensive to the user. At present there are 5 "Vendors and Friends" on the front page. Whether they're paying for that space or not the point is that advertising is there and isn't bothering a thing.

I've seen other sites refuse to put ads on the site, but instead have a "Advertisers and Links" page where such things are consolidated. (not all that unlike the classified ads in a paper in principle) That way if someone wants to use a click-thru link to help out the host site they can, but nobody ever has to see an ad if they don't want to.

I echo conalabu's sentiments on the lack of banners, and would go on to suggest sponsorship can be an element without affecting the look and functionality of the site.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I agree - going to weather.com is an epileptic experience sometimes.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I paid one of them a subscription fee because their claims were that all the ads would be removed for supporting members - never happened. I still have to scroll halfway down to read the forum.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Damn it son,scared the bejesus out of me when I saw the title of this thread thought you were going to reccomend sponsors and thought to self ,I said "Self (thats what I call myself,sort of a nick name)" Self I said,if they go to adds ,it is a good thing you aint sent your check to renew yet".Well am still waiting to hear back from self But please choose your thread titles better.

Self ?? oh self??? whatever.........

I second that thought.

Thanks Term!!

Thread Information