Welcome to the APBWeb.
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

The countybear rant - A compassionate conservative

I am a compassionate conservative...

In 1996, Dr. Marvin Olasky coined a doctrine called "compassionate conservatism" through his book Renewing American Compassion. George W. Bush later espoused the phrase, and assimilated much of the platform Olasky set forth, thus the phrase was popularized in his successful 2000 Presidential bid. I believe the theme was espoused by G.W. Bush as a means of defense against the Democratic National Committee's hardfought campaign to illustrate mainstream conservative doctrine as elitist, cold, callous, and out-of-touch with the vast majority of Americans - those who live in the lower three-forths of socio-econmic strata. Regardless of the President's assimilations, and honestly, without a personal deep study of Olasky's principals, I believe that the majority of Americans do not study political doctrine per se', they believe what they believe. They view things through their own individual perspective, and actually treat labels like "conservative" or "liberal" with a degree of apathy as political rhetoric. Call them conservative, or liberal, really they don't care.

Nor do I, actually, but I refuse to take offense to being called 'conservative', as the school of thought that conservatism teaches most closely represents much of what I personally believe. I also consider myself sincerely compassionate. My calling in professional occupations as a police officer is perhaps one of the most compassionate roles that an American can fill in society. Although many people can say that other fields are much more generally accepted as compassionate, how many other occupations' workers actually have to strap on layers of kevlar under their clothing, knowing that their very life may be forfeit at any time in service to their fellow citizens, for what amounts to barely a living wage?

So, all this said, what does it mean to be a "compassionate conservative?"

I believe in freedom. The basic principals which formed this into the great country that it is are the freedoms of the American citizen. Such are guaranteed by its Constitution, and are very basic in nature. Our freedoms are not relegated to the literal translations of convoluted masses of legal-ese written in the opinions of political appointees, but are based on those granted to us by our Creator, just as the founding document of this nation states. It matters not how much some wish to erase parts of it, that document says what it says. These freedoms were secured by the work of our forefathers, purchased by the blood of those who have defended this nation, so that freedom could be handed down as a legacy to their countrymen. I believe that citizenship in this country means far more than simply living within its borders, and that it should be earned, rather than stolen or obtained by fraud. Anyone who would avail themselves of the benefits of this nation, without honoring the price paid to ensure its blessings, and without respecting its laws, does not deserve residency, let alone citizenship. In such mindset, I am compassionate to the memories of those who have died in service to this great nation, to the honor bestowed unto this land by the sacrifices of those who loved them, to the trust of those who obey its laws, and to this nation itself, and the pride that comes from calling oneself a citizen of it with honesty, integrity, and without reservation.

I believe that freedom of religion literally means that as a member of American society, the individual has every right to their own belief system, without interference in the practice of it, as long as such practice does not infringe upon the rights of others. Atheism is not religion, it is the true meaning of freedom from religion. I do not believe that the display of religiously-oriented images or symbols (which aren't patently obscene) by any entity, public or private, infringes on the rights of others, for they, as individuals themselves are free to choose their own beliefs regardless of the symbolism that exists around them. A bible in a courthouse does not create a State religion, nor is it a subversive manner by which to convert others. A picture of Jesus is just that - a picture of Jesus. Having the Ten Commandments inscribed on a wall is just that - the Ten Commandments on a wall. Whether or not you wish to believe or obey them is your choice. Just because I see Buddha's smiling face in front of a Chinese restaurant, doesn't make me want to fall on my knees in front of it.

I believe in justice. The American criminal justice system should first and foremost provide for the safety of the American people, by refusing to allow those who have demonstrated a history of violence to continue on a path of predatory behavior unchecked. The rights extended, (and in frequent cases, over-extended) to the accused should be simplified, while the compassion of the court should be focused upon the victim and society as a whole. Rehabilitation and correction of the offender's conduct should be left to the consideration of the agencies vested with that responsibility. A court should fairly hear evidence presented, concerning itself with the offenses committed, rather than championing the individual freedoms of the offender or impressing the media. Sentences should fit the severity of the offense, and not be subverted by the budgets of correctional agencies or political special interests. Giving someone "multiple" life terms of incarceration is symbolic of idiocy, life should simply mean... life. Death should be warranted in any case of a specifically heinous intent of the offender, regardless of a victim's mortality. Such should be the sentence especially when the known history of the offender demonstrates that he or she is purely predatory in nature, and once handed down, such should be merciful, but swiftly executed.

In the civil realm of "justice", not everyone should be allowed to sue anyone for anything. Those who habitually attempt to profit through frivolous litigation should be banished from future court access in a plaintiff's role. Those who legally represent them in bringing such legal actions should be summarily disbarred. Responsibility for one's own actions should be a paramount consideration when weighing liability, and awards should be for real damages, not projected, supposed, or punitive. Criminal courts punish, civil courts provide remedy for those financially afflicted by another's negligence, not their own.

I believe in life. I believe that all life is precious, regardless of its point of inception, or scientific opinions which attempt it to classify it as other than what it is. I believe that our respect for life (as a society) fades each time we disregard its value (as a society). I believe our sensitivity to another's pain and suffering fades each time we see others placed in it, especially at the behest of our morbid curiosity or entertainment. I also believe though, that we choose what we introduce into our minds, and the minds of our families. I believe that compassion should be properly focused on those who value life themselves, display their love for it by protecting it, sharing it, and enriching the lives of those around them whenever possible. All that being said, I am dumbstruck to see a person who fights tenaciously to prevent animals from being killed for food, study, and clothing, but will fight just as tenaciously for a woman's right to destroy human life with impunity, for the sake of her own convenience.

I believe in charity. I am compassionate toward those who truly need it. I believe that it begins at home, and that any who take advantage of it should be treated to a life devoid of it.

I believe in peace. I remain vigilant of it, preserve it though the ability to enforce it, and I believe that there are those in this world who hate it and cannot,(or will not) tolerate it. Those who would violently destroy it (and life along with it), should be pursued relentlessly, and given the only peace that they could know, that which is contained in their final rest. I believe that true compassion for others means that the commission of violence against the peaceful and innocent is unacceptable and should be quickly rectified, even if violence itself is the only means of doing so.

There are probably those who read the above and consider it ridiculous. Perhaps it is, but your level of compassion might be determined by how angrily you react to the differing opinions of others. If the above angered you terribly, perhaps you should take an uncompassionate look in the mirror...

/rant off

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Seems to me that rather than plugging a political name to this view, these things that you have espoused upon are merely the standards of a better man. Perhaps we should all become a bit more "compassionately conservative".
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    That is way to long for me to read......my attention span is pretty small.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

iso607 is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    Another great post CB.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I believe in different interpretations of the same values, but I have to commend you once again on an eloquent and thoughtful rant.

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    Countybear,, who pissed in your post toasties?

I did read most of it and I will have to say,,, I pretty much agree with ya.
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I agree with those same principles. However you could be of several lables. CB I don't think of you as any lable. Except maybe good, honest (as I can tell), intelligent, with a sincere desire to assist others. With your stated belief in God you could also be called a Christian with no regard to polictical endevors. I don't know who pissed in your canteen soldier but you shouldn't have to defend your beliefs. Nor I mine. Good post though.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO

definitions

I believe that definitions of concepts and values are often passed thru the filters of an author, the reader or recipient, and those clever enough to intercept and twist the meaning to their underlying purpose.

Definitions? What do you mean? Read it, make your own decision.

Countybear has told us where he stands, his definitions are not ambiguous. There is no shuffle for different audiences. He has placed his beliefs before us, take what you want and leave the rest. We may agree or disagree, with respect, and do so in public. In our land, agreement or disagreement are an equal right to placing an issue for discussion. This is the First Amendment in action, the follow-up is respecting that voice.

Individual freedom. Small wonder most governments want to regulate the internet; for the obvious tax money to be collected, but more iimportantly to license, regulate, and monitor subjects.
    The govt will require a permit granting you "permisson", a tax, a reason why, and wants names and identifiers, and keeps records- forever. A humble axiom: "governments act first to protect the government".

One problem we US citizens have is being lazy. We let others define and filter what we see and hear. Their definition is the "truth". Just ask the staff at "PRAVDA" in the good old USSR. Pravda translated to English means ____________? Lenin once defined truth too....

When someone wants to convince you, strong-arm you, or sell you down the road to their way of life; demand that they define in writing such words as: freedom, life, truth, peace, duty, responsibility, justice, honor, sacrifice, etc. Those definitions should appear with no flex or wiggle room, or mystery-massaged with group-speak to deceive, or to please different audiences. If they waver, go silent, or go sideways = "Deception indicated".

Nice job countybear. Well Done.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    That is way to long for me to read......my attention span is pretty small.
    My first time to agree,course I worked the whore detail today ----for real.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by mavriktu View Post
    My first time to agree,course I worked the whore detail today ----for real.
    Learn any new tricks?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    CB's posts always mean I won't have to go to the library to look for a new book to read.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Tony is offline Banned
    As pointed out, we all have freedom of thought; to think for one's self. I think our countries have a similar spirit CB. It was a very good read; it is open, honest and full of integrity. I feel that "freedom" & "liberty" are probably the most abused words in recent history, but not in your post.

I think we also suffer the same problems with minorities and causes, be it land rights for gay whales or preferential promotion system for Martians. We also have those petty minded political correct morons, like who thought of that saying, politically correct when it is so wrong?? We have local governments banning the Divinity Scene at Christmas because they don’t want to offend X or Y, but X or Y have never complained. One banned ham sandwiches at meetings because it would offend those who don't eat pork!!!! Teaches can’t tell kids off because that’s bullying!!

And a justice system would be awesome, but like you, we’ve got a legal system where the victim is often lost in the scramble to help the scum.

Live through deeds of love, and let others live as they will, with understanding for their own individual intentions. —Rudolf Steiner, Philosophy of Freedom

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat650 View Post
    I think we also suffer the same problems with minorities and causes, be it land rights for gay whales or preferential promotion system for Martians.
    This just shows that Australia is far ahead of the US when it comes to minority rights--gay whales and Martians haven't even made it onto the mainstream US agenda yet.

Tony is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    This just shows that Australia is far ahead of the US when it comes to minority rights--gay whales and Martians haven't even made it onto the mainstream US agenda yet.
    YET!!!!

PCSD722 is offline Rookie
    Very good rant, I love a good rant...especially one I agree with.
    Stay safe, let's all go home.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Give Pelosi, Clinton, and Boxer a chance, Jenna, they are just being distracted by plotting to legislate talk radio at the moment...

(and thanks for the kind comments all)

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Bring back the Fairness Doctrine!

Right after I buy some Sirius stock that is. Also makes me all tingly thinking about how this would encourage podcasts and other technology alternatives.

All they'd end up accomplishing is the death of AM radio. Quite a sad thought for me since I much prefer AM. I love to go on imagination vacations by way of listening to distant stations.

Thread Information