Welcome to the APBWeb.
    The Lostralian is offline Fighting the battle

Why cant they...

Wrap cigerrette packs with the same wrapper they use for cd's?

I made my mother quit smoking. I made my sister slow down her smoking.

I am trying to get my friend to quit smoking, I'm on my 3rd try. I don't care if you smoke, it's just that if you HAVE to smoke every 2 minutes then you know you have a problem. I am just trying to help him out and he's making it sound like I'M the bad person. I guess a big part of it comes from my days in the F.D. In my town's F.D if you're a firefighter, then you NEED to quit smoking or you won't get the job. But yeah it seems the more I try to help people the bigger assholes they become.
    Future Detective of The S.P.D
    Pride Integrity Gratitude

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    If you have never been addicted to tobacco you dont understand.
    You KNOW perfectly well that you need to quit.
    You probably hate the addiction and regret the day you started it.
    The lack of control over the addiction is frustrating.
    You really get irritated at people telling you the obvious.
    Your friend is not going to quit until he is ready and he does it for himself.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    If you have never been addicted to tobacco you dont understand.
    You KNOW perfectly well that you need to quit.
    You probably hate the addiction and regret the day you started it.
    The lack of control over the addiction is frustrating.
    You really get irritated at people telling you the obvious.
    Your friend is not going to quit until he is ready and he does it for himself.
    I know, it's just that I hate to see my friends like that, you know? My father's death was caused by smoking, I don't want to see people I'm close to go the same way as he did. But I know some people don't want to hear the obvious, and I'm NOT making him quit, I'm helping him, but he's not even giving me a chance, Which really sucks.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lostralian View Post
    I know, it's just that I hate to see my friends like that, you know? My father's death was caused by smoking, I don't want to see people I'm close to go the same way as he did. But I know some people don't want to hear the obvious, and I'm NOT making him quit, I'm helping him, but he's not even giving me a chance, Which really sucks.
    It's not about him giving you a chance, it's about him being ready to make the change. Although you "made" your mother quit, and "made" your sister slow down her smoking - an individual is not going to change their behavior until they are ready to do it for themselves whether it's smoking or anything else.

Although your motivation is noble, you might be doing no more than making him roll his eyes and spend less time in your company. Unless help is wanted, it can sometimes be an annoyance. Try letting him know that you're there and willing to provide whatever support he needs - when he is ready to quit. Then leave it alone until he's ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    It's not about him giving you a chance, it's about him being ready to make the change. Although you "made" your mother quit, and "made" your sister slow down her smoking - an individual is not going to change their behavior until they are ready to do it for themselves whether it's smoking or anything else.

Although your motivation is noble, you might be doing no more than making him roll his eyes and spend less time in your company. Unless help is wanted, it can sometimes be an annoyance. Try letting him know that you're there and willing to provide whatever support he needs - when he is ready to quit. Then leave it alone until he's ready.
    Ok, I'll try and let it go, I'm not gonna bug him about it anymore. I'm just going to tell him that I offered my help, but that's as far as I can go, and that if he wants it he knows he can come to anytime.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    My chief always tells me that I need to quit. It gets old quick and he starts to sound like my mom. I'll quit when I'm damn well ready and not before. I've stopped cold turkey for 6 months once and a year another time. I started up again because I enjoy smoking.

I smoke the most at work. I can be off for three days and only have a total of four cigarettes.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

I lit up about 5 minutes after we went our seperate ways ,we sat there for what ?an hour?hour and a half? never thought about a smoke,After I got to the parking garage,lit up.The problem ---"I Think"-- is boredom,something to do with the hands,and since I was at a fancy-smancy hotel,masturbation was definately out am trying to quit right now ,therefore my posts may get nasty.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by mavriktu View Post
    I lit up about 5 minutes after we went our seperate ways ,we sat there for what ?an hour?hour and a half? never thought about a smoke,After I got to the parking garage,lit up.The problem ---"I Think"-- is boredom,something to do with the hands,and since I was at a fancy-smancy hotel,masturbation was definately out am trying to quit right now ,therefore my posts may get nasty.
    It was a couple of hours, maybe. I wouldn't have minded if you'd smoked (unless it wasn't allowed in the hotel). I am really glad, though, that you chose not to masturbate.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lostralian View Post
    My father's death was caused by smoking, I don't want to see people I'm close to go the same way as he did.
    If you keep bothering them about it, you may not be close to them at all by the time it kills them.

Do you pester your fat friends, too? Obesity is a more efficient killer than smoking.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I think smoking is all in your mind. I smoked 2 1/2 - 3 packs a week for 6 years. Then I quit cold turkey. The 1st 3 days were hard after that I was fine. It's all in your mind if you are strong mentally you can get over it if not, just keep smoking!
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I lost my father to smoking in 1990. He had the habit for over 40 years. By the time he finally decided to quit, it was too late. 3 years after he quit, he was gone. I, also, smoked for 8 years, 1/2 a pack a day. I used to think that nothing is happening to my dad so why should I quit.

Well, I saw what happened to my dad and made up my mind shortly after his death to quit. I did not want to see myself going down the same road as he did. Nevertheless if one wants to quit smoking they have to do it for themselves. Sure it's hard. The first few weeks were the hardest. What really made the decision for me to quit was seeing pics of normal organs vs cancer infected organs. It was very graphic but I guess thats what I needed to quit. I put mind over matter and got through it.

I had good results with the Nicorette gum but started back up again. After going through the program it made it much easier for me to quit cold turkey. Cigarettes just didn't taste the same to me after that.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Tony is offline Banned
    We have a lot campaigns to help people stop smoking, like this one ~

LINK --> http://www.quit.org.au/

and on our cancer stick packs we have stuff like this ~

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat650 View Post
    We have a lot campaigns to help people stop smoking, like this one ~

LINK --> http://www.quit.org.au/

and on our cancer stick packs we have stuff like this ~

My brother is a heavy smoker and he lives in Sydney, everytime I'm down there I always took his pack and told him "IS THIS WHAT YOU WANNA LOOK LIKE?".

Thread Information