Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 35 of 35
  1. #21
    Virginian's Avatar
    Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Join Date
    12-28-05
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,647
    Rep Power
    8590746
    Nah it's not secret. Otherwise how could you apply for jobs where they require high clearance levels?

  2. #22
    TXCharlie's Avatar
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Join Date
    12-29-05
    Location
    Dallas Area
    Posts
    5,528
    Rep Power
    3224965
    I donno, I guess HR has a "need to know"???

    I still like the idea of erasing people's brains, even if it's not really needed
    .

    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

  3. #23
    Virginian's Avatar
    Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Join Date
    12-28-05
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,647
    Rep Power
    8590746
    But any little contracting company can accept resumes for government jobs requiring top secret clearance, not all of them are checked out for legitimacy.

    Also, if someone says "do you have a top secret clearance" would you say "no" or "I can't tell you that, because my top secret clearance won't let me"?

  4. #24
    TXCharlie's Avatar
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Join Date
    12-29-05
    Location
    Dallas Area
    Posts
    5,528
    Rep Power
    3224965
    This is getting to be almost as complicated as Citizen's Arrests

    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

  5. #25
    Ken K is offline Banned
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Posts
    252
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    This is getting to be almost as complicated as Citizen's Arrests
    No shit. Reading some of the decisions makes it even more confusing why some get the clearance and others don't.

  6. #26
    MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Actually he probably shouldn't have revealed that to you, unless you work closely with him & had a "need to know" that he had the clearance - Otherwise, you need to go have your brain erased

    I believe having a Top Secret clearence is a secret in itself (at least that's what I was told way back when when I had to take the class on all that stuff).
    Not really, but you're not supposed to broadcast it unless there's a reason (like you're applying for a job that requires a TS, etc.). It just makes you a target for possible exploitation and compromise.

    Kinda like being in civilian clothes and advertising you're a cop when you don't need to??!!

    And we call it 'degaussing your brain'. Doesn't work.

  7. #27
    MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Yeah, and if you have emotional problems, you can never have them treated - But as long as you aren't diagnosed & treated for your mental defects, you're ok.
    Appears that way, but they started taking a more enlightened attitude. I interviewed one guy who had seen a psychiatrist. Supposedly a red flag. I asked him why. His wife and daughter had perished in a horrific car crash (hit by a DUI) that he witnessed, and he needed counseling to get over the effects.

    "No security implications noted, and in fact demonstrated maturity and mental stability by self-addressing his problems and concerns - clearance granted."

  8. #28
    MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    But any little contracting company can accept resumes for government jobs requiring top secret clearance, not all of them are checked out for legitimacy.

    Also, if someone says "do you have a top secret clearance" would you say "no" or "I can't tell you that, because my top secret clearance won't let me"?
    Those companies are usually either fake (gathering names for intelligence exploitation - and yes, it DOES happen!) or are small start ups that are gathering resumes for bidding on a government contract that they don't have yet. When bidding, they have to demonstrate they can get the cleared talent to perform the contract.

    One little trick the legitimate companies use when you visit them is to have you sign in on the required visitor's log. If they request your SSN, and you put it down, you can bet they will be checking with their government security contacts to see if you actually do have a clearance.

    Every company perfoming classified work under DoD must have a Facility Security Clearance - which can be checked out by the Feds. Other agencies have similar procedures.

    I've been asked that question many times in my past. If the question is legitimate (as in applying for a job that requires it), I answer. In fact, I have an approved statement on my resume concerning my past clearances.

    If not, I tell 'em I was cleared for Secret NUNYA information. When they say 'NUNYA?', I tell 'em "Yep, NUNYA damn business."

  9. #29
    TXCharlie's Avatar
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Join Date
    12-29-05
    Location
    Dallas Area
    Posts
    5,528
    Rep Power
    3224965
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainCop
    Appears that way, but they started taking a more enlightened attitude. I interviewed one guy who had seen a psychiatrist. Supposedly a red flag. I asked him why. His wife and daughter had perished in a horrific car crash (hit by a DUI) that he witnessed, and he needed counseling to get over the effects.

    "No security implications noted, and in fact demonstrated maturity and mental stability by self-addressing his problems and concerns - clearance granted."
    That's good to hear!!! I don't think there were quite as enlightened 20 years ago.

    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

  10. #30
    Mem's Avatar
    Mem
    Mem is offline Banned
    Join Date
    01-14-06
    Location
    no where
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    0
    The private sector also uses levels of security clearance, some based on the feds guidelines, especially if working on subcontracted government contracts. I don't think they are nearly as extensive as military/police but in areas of fraud investigation your credit history is often your downfall vs previous drug use or sexual activity.

  11. #31
    FishTail Guest
    Do you guys have to obtain a clearance to be a police officer? Because I had to obtain one to be a cop here.

  12. #32
    Ken K is offline Banned
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Posts
    252
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    Do you guys have to obtain a clearance to be a police officer? Because I had to obtain one to be a cop here.
    The only thing about a security clearance as a local or state cop is if you would be working with the Feds ref Terrorism or some hush hush task force.

    After 9/11 they require, by Executive Order from the Pres., that all fed, state, and local officers having access to classified material have the appropriate clearance. http://www.fbi.gov/clearance/securityclearance.htm

    Other than that, no.

    I'm sure Mountainccop knows more but as you see, he can't tell us because it's a secret.

  13. #33
    MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken K
    <Snip>
    I'm sure Mountainccop knows more but as you see, he can't tell us because it's a secret.
    Damn, now I gotta kill you!

    To clarify issues (and this is as clear as I can get with it):

    To be a cop: Almost, if not all states require a background check. This is NOT a clearance. It's an investigation into your suitability to be a police officer (no drugs, crimes, etc.) Included is a psych test and a polygraph test.

    Since 9/11, the Federal Government has started to share classified information with local and state police officers about possible ongoing threats. Only the Federal government in our country can generate classified information or classify existing information. The authority to classify information is outlined in various regulations and laws. State and local cops, the average citizen, the clerk at the Social Security Admin, etc. does NOT have that authority.

    Classified information runs from CONFIDENTIAL (lowest level) to TOP SECRET (or MOST SECRET to our bros across the pond).

    To gain access to classified information, you must have the appropriate background check (and there are different types) performed by the US Government agency that is sponsoring your clearance, AND a demonstrated 'need to know' documented by the sponsoring agency. Just because you have a security clearance does NOT mean you have access to everything that you are cleared for.

    There are higher levels of access (NOT clearance) that require special briefings and security oaths. Access to this type of information is strictly and absolutely controlled on a 'need to know' or 'must know' basis. This includes the type of information that, if release, could cost someone their life.

    Below CONFIDENTIAL, most cops will see FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY (UNCLASSIFIED Federal Government information but not for public viewing) and LAW ENFORCEMENT SENSITIVE - usually used for information relating to ongoing cases and can only be released to sworn law enforcement officers).

    Which is why (by the way) Law Enforcement Sensitive Information should NEVER be posted on this forum.

    And that, my kiddies, is Security 101. I hope you enjoyed the class

    Please drop your critique forms on the desk on your way out. And thank you!

  14. #34
    lop's Avatar
    lop
    lop is offline Member
    Join Date
    01-17-06
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    1419
    I married an US citizen. I got the green card and swoop my name run thrue the Files. Hubby is in the Military . My family run thrue the files as well. Now i'm a security officer and see i still have the greencard and swoop my name run thrue the files again. I'm wondering here If they slowly don't know us.

    I'm wondering what they are going to do when I become an us citizen? I still will run thrue the files. .

  15. #35
    FishTail Guest
    Right. For my employment as a police officer I was required to undergo a background check and a counter-terrorism check. We routinely have access to material that is protectively marked Restricted or Confidential, as well as the usual Police Only stuff. A lot of the terrorism information is Confidential.

    Always amused me that when I was in the Air Force reserves I was cleared higher than any information I ever saw.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-08-07, 02:56 PM
  2. Social Security Information
    By BigDawg in forum General Topics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-09-07, 07:57 AM
  3. Illegals to recieve GPS and Social security
    By BEK in forum General Topics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-05-07, 07:39 PM
  4. Homeland security vs. garage door openers
    By Piggybank Cop in forum In the News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-06, 03:35 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •