Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Am I Crazy?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, go for it if that's what you want.

24 80.00%
  • Yes, you're crazy, give it up.

6 20.00%
  • You'd never make it.

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Am I Crazy?

mxwelch is offline Kalashnikitty

Am I Crazy?

I'm looking into the option of joining the Marine Reserves. I've talked with my wife and have her support.

I have a few obstacles to overcome if I decide to enlist. I'm over the maximum age limit, but told I might be able to get a waiver. I've weighed all the pros and cons and I'm going to inquire further.

The cons would be my job. I don't think I could legally be terminated for military service but I don't want to hack off my employer either. Being away from my family for the 20 some odd weeks of training.

The pros are. I could serve my country. Being deployed doesn't concern me. If they call I'll go, without bitching, no questions asked. I'd like to know if I could still do it. I'm almost 35 and I'm very curious if I have what it takes.

And lastly, I believe this would greatly improve my resume for LE. That's not my only motivation but I'd be lying if I said it had nothing to do with it. I know this might seem like a odd question, but I'm an odd fella. This might get shot down when I'm told there will be no way I can get a waiver.

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    At first I was just going to vote that you are crazy But after reading your post, if this is something you truely want, then by all means go for it. Good luck my friend in whatever you decide to do!!!

Mem
    Mem is offline Banned
    Listen to your heart, your family will hear it. Believe in you and everyone will also belive. My God look after you in whatever you do.

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Yes, you ARE crazy.

Now, that being said - go for it.

As for the job, I would speak to a recruiter about the legalities of keeping your job. There are laws protecting civilian jobs if you are called to active duty as a reserve, but I'm not sure if that covers going to boot camp and training during the six months you would be rquired to serve on active duty.

Also you may want to talk to your HR people (or personnel office) about it where you work. They should be able to give you some guidance. Just tell them you are thinking about it and would like some information about your options. (Don't necessarily have to tell them at this point that you are definitely going. Especially since you don't know yet.)

Best of luck with your decision. (I spent eight years in the Corps, and it's something you will take pride in for the rest of your life.)
    The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Maybe look at Army Reserves, isn't boot camp only like 9 weeks for them?

Where would you go for drill if you did the Marine thing, Quantico?

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    Crazy like a FOX!!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

MountainCop Guest
    Go for it! You will never know until you try, and you'll never have to play the 'What if' game.

And your employer is required by Federal law to re-hire you within a period of up to three years if your reason for quitting was to join the military.

Good resource on this is http://www.opm.gov

Best of luck!!!

lop
    lop is offline Member
    I wish you luck. Have you tried other branches as well? Army, Airforce , navy? What about coast guards??

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    Mx, you are prior Army right? I guess it's hard to get the military out of your veins....

If your wife is for it, I say go for it brother. Of course that's coming from a guy who wanted to be a Marine since he was old enough to hear stories from his grandpa about the Marine Corps.
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

Quote Originally Posted by Welpe
    Mx, you are prior Army right? I guess it's hard to get the military out of your veins....

If your wife is for it, I say go for it brother. Of course that's coming from a guy who wanted to be a Marine since he was old enough to hear stories from his grandpa about the Marine Corps.
    Yes I'm former Army. ANG to be exact. I just want a little excitement. Is that to much to ask? I talk to a recruiter Fri. I do doubt that I'll get a waiver though. If it's a no-go I'll talk to my old buddies at the ANG again. I'd probably want basic again because it's been 17 years since I last wore a uniform.

THE LAW is offline Around the next turn
    How old are you. Are you close to getting a LE job ?

THE LAW is offline Around the next turn
    oh and most of all if you base your decision off a poll with these screw offs you are VERY CRAZY.

Quote Originally Posted by THE LAW
    How old are you. Are you close to getting a LE job ?
    I'm almost 35. No, I'm not close at all.
    Last edited by mxwelch; 01-28-06 at 08:48 PM.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    You need to start looking for LE jobs like NOW. The Goverment does not like to hire after 37 if you want to be a fed.

You should put an application everywhere you can. PM me if you want info on the US Capitol Police or departments in Maryland. I can help. In sourthern Maryland they are hiring big time...

PACMAN is offline Officer
    hehehehehehe....In they end they all want to be a Marine.......go ahead kid maybe you can earn the right to wear that Blue, gold and green.........been there done that...if you do it then you will understand why we think we are better than everyone else.......

Semper Fi Hard Corps, Semper Fi......

Indy Guest
    I don't understand why you want to join the army and possibly have to leave your family just to get a little bit better bump on your resume (from what I've read, it isn't going to make a huge difference at this point in time)....when you can move where hiring chances are better and stay WITH your family.

It's not as though you are 18 years old with a few boo boos and the army will "grow you up." It just doesn't seem as though that is going to make enough of a difference in the eyes of the departments to justify the time you'll have given up applying at departments. Why are you so adamant about not moving where the job possibilities are better? What are you going to do if years down the road, this doesn't help your resume any and you've aged out of many departments, thereby reducing the application pool even more?

Please don't take offense to this - I've kept quiet for the most part but I simply do not understand why you will not move where the jobs are when you seem to want this so badly. You can always transfer back if you have your heart set on the departments locally.

Having said all that, if you want to serve your country and that is your sole purpose, then by all means, do it! But, I suspect your primary motivation (which I am by NO means knocking) is to better your chances of getting hired on with a PD. I PM'd you awhile back and never heard back, so I'll tell you again. Indiana state police are hiring like crazy lately and we are somewhat closer than depts others are suggesting (if you're intent on staying on this side of the country). I am thinking you wanted to go city (can't remember), but perhaps you should consider some other options. They are recruiting like mad and have had several articles written lately talking about the terribly small pool of applicants they have to choose from. They had approx. 100 people show up for 65 positions at one point. Imagine what your chances would be!

Just food for thought.
    Last edited by Indy; 01-26-06 at 01:07 AM.

seltzer is offline Member
    With the department I donate my time too, prior military only gets you an extra 5 points above the non-military competition. To me, that isn't a reason to join. I have ZERO military experience, and am #3 on the eligibility list, whereas at least 3 others BELOW ME on the list have had prior military. (Those are just the ones that I know about). The guy in the #1 spot has Air Force time, and #2 has Marines if I recall.
    The world is a mighty clear place once the wool is removed from ones eyes

PACMAN is offline Officer
    Because PD's want battle hardened Marines who can put up with Societies pussies.....people in the military besides Jeff on PSC have more discipline and and easily handle an academy environment with ease. Plus when we have to shoot some loud mouth wannabe K9 handler we can do so with no guilt.....are you sizzling in your seat? I love you Indy......

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PACMAN
    Plus when we have to shoot some loud mouth wannabe K9 handler we can do so with no guilt.....are you sizzling in your seat? I love you Indy......
    I'm not quite sure what to make of that.

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PACMAN
    ...if you do it then you will understand why we think we are better than everyone else.......
    Or like we say, "If we have to explain it, you just wouldn't understand."

Got to be there - do that.
    The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information