Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jim1348 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO

Wi-Fi Equipped PDA Cell Phone

With a number of people switching to the new iPhone, I was wondering if I were to get a used wi-fi equipped PDA cell phone, will the wi-fi part work without subsribing to service for the cell phone provider?

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    I can't answer your question, but as a side note on the I-phone, I went to one of the AT&T stores in town this past Monday to get my Razr phone repaired.

They said they "couldn't" fix it, but would "allow" me to upgrade to another phone. (How generous of them.) Of course the upgrade would require another two year contract (I've been with them since 1991, but still have to have a contract) PLUS an upgrade to my monthly plan - spelled "more expensive" plan.

The option to the contract and plan upgrade would be to pay full price for the phone.

Now for the interesting part:
    The salesperson tried to get me to buy an I-phone (which I DO NOT want - DON'T need - and DON'T want to have to pay for all the extra services to make all the cutsie little features work).

Now remember all the hype, long lines, and the $500-600 price tag this past weekend.

She told me that the I-phone would only cost me - GET THIS - $229.00.

Now this was on Monday, and they were getting $500-600 for them THE DAY BEFORE!

Anybody here pay the full price for an I-phone this past weekend? You could have waited until Monday and paid half the money for it.

Enjoy your new I-phone.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I use the Sprint PPC 6700 (Pocket PC). It is EVDO, GPS, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi, enabled. I pay -0- extra to use the Wi-Fi.

I am currently looking for an upgrade to it (the call quality can be poor, and its been through hell). I will not be looking to the iPhone as a replacement.

I would be interested though in hearing reviews of the Treo 755, Blackberry RIM, 6800 Mogul, or the MotoQ. I haven't decided yet. I might actually wait until there's more options.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    I use the Sprint PPC 6700 (Pocket PC). It is EVDO, GPS, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi, enabled. I pay -0- extra to use the Wi-Fi.

I am currently looking for an upgrade to it (the call quality can be poor, and its been through hell). I will not be looking to the iPhone as a replacement.

I would be interested though in hearing reviews of the Treo 755, Blackberry RIM, 6800 Mogul, or the MotoQ. I haven't decided yet. I might actually wait until there's more options.
    I haven't heard any complaints on the Treo, don't know much about the Blackberry. I do have experience with a Q, as my wife had one at her old job. I would suggest waiting a bit if you're thinking Q. It's operating system was extremely slow, and you cannot modify pdf,word, or any files you get on that phone. I hear a newer version will fix all of that. I did like the Q for it's size and ease of use though!
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I have a Treo 700wx through Sprint (the Windows version). I got it at the beginning of the year, and I love the thing. The OS on it is FAST! The 755 I think should have a bit more memory and an internal antenna.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Thread Information