Welcome to the APBWeb.
    CPD32 is offline Rookie

Black Peerless Cuffs

Just bought two new sets of the black peerless cuffs, After a hard rain and being on a perfussly sweeting BG, they have a bit of a rust tint to them. Anyone have any good ways to clean and relubercate these. ( i hear that this is a common issue with the black cuffs if not tended to regulary when they are in alot of use )

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by CPD32 View Post
    Just bought two new sets of the black peerless cuffs, After a hard rain and being on a perfussly sweeting BG, they have a bit of a rust tint to them. Anyone have any good ways to clean and relubercate these. ( i hear that this is a common issue with the black cuffs if not tended to regulary when they are in alot of use )
    Peerless are known for rusting. Its do to the black metal that they are made out of. Only thing you can really do is clean them with an oil type lubricant. However next time your in the rain and they are in the elements they will rust again. Thats just how peerless are.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Got 'em, I use Rem Oil and one of the green kitchen scrubbies.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    after you clean them and dry them I put graphite powder all in/on them.. was just something someone told me about and seems to work for me.. not sure why.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

HardNoseBull is offline HardNoseBull
    use a NEVR-DULL to get the rust off, if your concerned about the finish, just reblue them with gun blue. My gunsmith who also repairs my cuffs, uses AMSOIL I think thats how it's spelled for a lubricant, it works great. Hope that helps.
    Giggity giggity Goo!

Glen Quagmire,Family Guy, Pick any Episode

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I heard WD-40 works well on 'cuffs...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Bosco3379 is offline I'm the one in the middle
    I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard that you shouldn't ever use graphite powder on cuffs because it will cake the inner workings on the cuffs and over time will shorten their life. As for oil you can use standard gun oil which will work BUT DO NOT USE WD-40. WD 40 is a synthetic oil that has some chemicals that will break down the inner workings of the cuffs springs or pins and will foul them. Same as the reason why you don't use WD 40 on a gun...

Again, I don't know if this is true or not, but its just what I have heard
    Former member of the LNC

Will take verbal abuse for spare change

Some Of My Wicked Awesome Signature Banners

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco3379 View Post
    I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard that you shouldn't ever use graphite powder on cuffs because it will cake the inner workings on the cuffs and over time will shorten their life. As for oil you can use standard gun oil which will work BUT DO NOT USE WD-40. WD 40 is a synthetic oil that has some chemicals that will break down the inner workings of the cuffs springs or pins and will foul them. Same as the reason why you don't use WD 40 on a gun...

Really? I work with a guy and we were just talking about WD-40 on cuffs the other day. He said he sprayed it on a pair of his last year and they've worked great ever since, no rust either. Can anybody else comment on this?
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    this all seems like a lot of work for a set of handcuffs. i have a set of smith and wessons, and a set of the asp cuffs, and ive never done anything to them other than put them on and take them off of criminals, and they work just fine.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-42Adam View Post
    Really? I work with a guy and we were just talking about WD-40 on cuffs the other day. He said he sprayed it on a pair of his last year and they've worked great ever since, no rust either. Can anybody else comment on this?

I have been told the same thing by my father. He has worked with metals his whole life, I have no reason to doubt him. It is not all metals, just spring steels and high carbons, I believe.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco3379 View Post

thanks about the graphite powder info.. i will look out for that.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    this all seems like a lot of work for a set of handcuffs. i have a set of smith and wessons, and a set of the asp cuffs, and ive never done anything to them other than put them on and take them off of criminals, and they work just fine.
    I have Hiatts and the new ASP cuffs. Same as you I don't do a thing to them.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

CPD32 is offline Rookie
    Thanks for the all the info, I will have to try some out and see how it goes. I friend of mine has had a pair of asp cuffs, said he got rid of them becuase he was trying to put them on in a struggle and the single bar slide on the out side of the double bars instead of inbetween. I have never heard of that elsewhere, anyone else ever hear of that with the asp cuffs?

Thread Information